Season Opener of HOUSE, M.D.

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
Compare notes.

I saw it (but with loud kids and my barking dog, I didn't HEAR all of it). I was overall impressed with the show. I have to admit, I was HOPING that the writers weren't going to fuck around and make the Psychatric Hospital theme last too long. I didn't want to see an entire season of that place even though it led to some interesting plot twists and show-cased the acting talents of Hugh Laurie.

What say you House fans?

A good season opener, showing promise of real good season to come?

Or, a flop?

I thought it was great but not without long term implications.

Part of the appeal to House as a character was his obnoxious, abrasive personality, and I think that given the VanGogh conversation, the writers are aware of it and won't lose that as a thread. We'll see

I live for the day when Foreman and his GF are written off. There is so little chemistry between the two that I cringe when they're together.

I like Chase and Cameron and hope they get rid of everyone else and bring in a whole new back up cast

NOT reading this yet . . . must avert eyes. I didn't get home till after 8 last night so I dvd'd it and am watching tonight. Can't wait!

overall it was pretty good. did like that house was trying to disect the black doc, like to see his gears spinning. hated the psyco rapper guy, the chick coming out of a ten year laps of speaking just becasue of a music box was kinda LAME! I thought House was going to diagnose her with some medical condition but all it took was the ding ding ding of a music box.

Last edited:
I adore Hugh Laurie and the love scene was pretty spectacular. I was happy with the positive turn and the sort of magical moment with the music box.

House can't lose the snarky and harsh tone though, consistent positivity just isn't his nature. I love those rare moments though. Let the psych ward go after awhile with only vague references to it.

Aaahhhh!! Still didn't get to watch House yet. Back to school night was last night and by the time everything was said and done it was 10pm. No way would I have been able to stay awake for 2 hours to watch. I watched The Good Wife, which was pretty good . . . . but I fell asleep during the last 20 minutes of the show so I have no clue what happened. So typical, cripes. Tonight, for sure, I'm watching House.

This episode is one of the best since "Three Stories" easily. Definitely a great way to start the season.

Definitely has not lost it's flair for the dramatic as well as the funny... The writers of this show are some of the best out there...

Interesting (and welcome) thing to devote the entire 2 hrs to House's character and not add in some sub-plot with Chase/Cameron or any of the others... This certainly shows how good an actor Hugh Laurie really is... He brings snarky, obnoxious, devious and cunning to the next level... His desire to help others in his own way came out with the superhero guy... What he did for him was touching, but also showed how out of his league he is in psych matters...

House is a complex character and they really do write to Laurie's strengths... Will be interesting to see how the season develops...

Good Job on the opener, IMHO....

Definitely has not lost it's flair for the dramatic as well as the funny... The writers of this show are some of the best out there...

Interesting (and welcome) thing to devote the entire 2 hrs to House's character and not add in some sub-plot with Chase/Cameron or any of the others... This certainly shows how good an actor Hugh Laurie really is... He brings snarky, obnoxious, devious and cunning to the next level... His desire to help others in his own way came out with the superhero guy... What he did for him was touching, but also showed how out of his league he is in psych matters...

House is a complex character and they really do write to Laurie's strengths... Will be interesting to see how the season develops...

This episode was tailor made so Hugh Laurie can win a award he is most deserving of next year, Best Actor.

The above quoted post shall hereafter be referred to as "House on House!"

I liked the way they played the first show. I know they are going to have to integrate his new and improved ways of looking at life, into the rest of the shows - but, how? His snarkiness and demeaning nature was part of what made the show great. I think he's a great actor.

I liked the way they played the first show. I know they are going to have to integrate his new and improved ways of looking at life, into the rest of the shows - but, how? His snarkiness and demeaning nature was part of what made the show great. I think he's a great actor.

Maybe they plan on making him a drug-free snarky demeaning prick who occasionally lapses long enough to permit a spark of decency to shine through (over and above his genius at diagnostics).

Curing him completely might ruin the show. But improving on him as a "person" -- just a little bit -- might actually make his character more interesting, i.e. a person with a bit more potential.

Maybe?

After five seasons, it would be interesting to see a bit of character change in House. He can still be badass and cool as always. However, you'd figure even House would slightly change over six years.

I just hope they don't keep up the same formulas from prior years this year. And the only time I want to see a major Olivia Wilde plotline is her naked dammit. :lol:

What the writers do well is keep you interested in a theme which is basically the same week after week... A person has some sort of illness which is then diagnosed by House and his staff and (most times) the patient is cured in the end... That is pure writing skill... They combine that and the other sub-plot lines in a way that keeps you glued to the screen for an hour... Sometimes they push the belief boundaries, but most times they've woven such an interesting storyline that you don't even care...

Best show on th idiot box, by far....

What the writers do well is keep you interested in a theme which is basically the same week after week... A person has some sort of illness which is then diagnosed by House and his staff and (most times) the patient is cured in the end... That is pure writing skill... They combine that and the other sub-plot lines in a way that keeps you glued to the screen for an hour... Sometimes they push the belief boundaries, but most times they've woven such an interesting storyline that you don't even care...

Best show on th idiot box, by far....

Agreed.

Although I do like "Mental" quite a lot. Along similar lines but psychological.

For cryin' out loud!!! I cannot catch a break. I recorded House but forgot the unblock the stupid parental controls so . . . I got bupkis. 2 hours of 'enter code to unblock'. :mad: Found it online last night -they don't show it on Fox till 8 days after airing - but it only let me watch 72 minutes then it said I either had to subscribe or wait an hour. I waited the hour but it never finished playing. Trying for the last bit tonight.

Forum List

Back