Season 5, Game of Thrones

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio

"Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell — they're all just spokes in a wheel." Daenerys Targaryen's words open the action-packed second trailer of Game of Thrones Season Five with a promise to burn down the houses, one by one. While the first teaser for the upcoming episodes underlined the fact that "Justice has a price," this new clip previews the swordplay and bloodshed to come. Dragons, fire, glimpses of various battles and the sight of throats being slit flash by; apparently, winter is still coming for Jon Snow.

The network previously announced that Season Five will premiere April 12th. The new season will feature a dozen new characters, including the High Sparrow (played by Brazil actor Jonathan Pryce) and Doran Martell (played by Alexander Siddig). But a trio of familiar faces – Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead) and helpers Meera Reed (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) – will not be involved in the new episodes.

After Nairn accidentally revealed the news last September, Game of Thrones showrunner David Benioff later explained that the characters' absence will be essential to the show's narrative.

Read more: Game of Thrones Season Five Trailer Bring on the Dragons Rolling Stone

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I am figuratively wetting myself in anticipation.

The cunning and calculating Doran Martell, Lord of Sunspear, is one of my favorite characters in the book. The setting for Sunspear is Alcazar Palace in Spain and one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

I think the High Sparrow was cast perfectly as well.

This season will be just as exciting and bloody as the previous.

Last edited:
Kind of sucks really. I won't get HBO for just one show, and everything else on HBO is garbage...so I'll have to wait until next fall and binge watch the entire season....

So no spoilers until then...y'all hear?

I don't believe this season will introduce one of the more pivotal character from the North which is Lord Wyman Manderly. I hope he doesn't get cut entirely b/c he plays a major role in the books.

Kind of sucks really. I won't get HBO for just one show, and everything else on HBO is garbage...so I'll have to wait until next fall and binge watch the entire season....

Spoiler Alert: Darth Vader is Luke's father. lol.

Where do you binge watch it? I can't wait that long. :)

LOL...I know a guy....

I usually watch it right here at My computer.....but its usually a few weeks after the last episode for the season is aired.

LOL...I know a guy....

I usually watch it right here at My computer.....but its usually a few weeks after the last episode for the season is aired.
Oh okay. Try to get The Jinx from your guy. Next week is the last epi in a series of 6.

LOL...I know a guy....

Oh okay. Try to get The Jinx from your guy. Next week is the last epi in a series of 6.
Six episodes?? Still season one?

LOL...I know a guy....

On your recommendation I just finished the first episode last night and I am now hooked. I plan on watching the next with dinner tonight.

LOL...I know a guy....

On your recommendation I just finished the first episode last night and I am now hooked. I plan on watching the next with dinner tonight.
Omg, I'm so glad you're watching it. You will love it.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

LOL...I know a guy....

Six episodes?? Still season one?
The Jinx.

I'm reading a five-book package on my Kindle, and I am just about at the end of Season 4 in my readings.

I have watched several Youtube videos of the actors discussing the production, story lines, their characters, and so on. It is quite interesting. Also interesting to me is that they intentionally do not read the books so that they will not know the fate of their character. I feel sorry for Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey); everywhere he goes people hate him (or laugh about hating his character).

But reading so much material brings out irritating things about the story - probably lessening my enjoyment. For example, there is no way that Samwell Tarley could remain fat and weak in the face of all that he endured (just like the fat fukker on the Lost TV show). But in the story after sixty days on the road with basically no real food he is still obese and weak. Baloney.

And why is it necessary to into such great detail about characters who are only mentioned one time in the story (Martin claims there are more than 50,000 named characters overall). Why can't he just say, "King Robert Baratheon went hunting with six of his knights"? Who gives a fuck what their names and family associations are, if they are only mentioned once and it has nothing to do with the story?

Also, as I may have mentioned on this forum before, why is it necessary for everyone in the series to have an English accent? This doesn't take place in England, or anywhere on earth for that matter. It's a fictitious planet. Even dear Tyrion - a New Jersey native - fakes an English accent. What's the point?

Natalie Dormer gets my vote as the most beautiful creature on the small screen right now. Jesus, what a fox!

I'm reading a five-book package on my Kindle, and I am just about at the end of Season 4 in my readings.

I have watched several Youtube videos of the actors discussing the production, story lines, their characters, and so on. It is quite interesting. Also interesting to me is that they intentionally do not read the books so that they will not know the fate of their character. I feel sorry for Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey); everywhere he goes people hate him (or laugh about hating his character).

But reading so much material brings out irritating things about the story - probably lessening my enjoyment. For example, there is no way that Samwell Tarley could remain fat and weak in the face of all that he endured (just like the fat fukker on the Lost TV show). But in the story after sixty days on the road with basically no real food he is still obese and weak. Baloney.

And why is it necessary to into such great detail about characters who are only mentioned one time in the story (Martin claims there are more than 50,000 named characters overall). Why can't he just say, "King Robert Baratheon went hunting with six of his knights"? Who gives a fuck what their names and family associations are, if they are only mentioned once and it has nothing to do with the story?

Also, as I may have mentioned on this forum before, why is it necessary for everyone in the series to have an English accent? This doesn't take place in England, or anywhere on earth for that matter. It's a fictitious planet. Even dear Tyrion - a New Jersey native - fakes an English accent. What's the point?

Natalie Dormer gets my vote as the most beautiful creature on the small screen right now. Jesus, what a fox!
Did you see Natalie as Ann Boleyn in The Tudors? She is perfect for these roles.

I never thought about the accent but you are right. I look forward to your insights when the new season begins. :)

Season 4 of GOT is now up at HBO.

Game of Thrones
Ep. 1 | Aired Apr 06
Posted April 6 2014 — 9:57 PM EDT

Recovered yet? Has your anxiety faded? Can you go to a wedding without checking the band for crossbows and nervously checking out the door? After last season’s Worst Reception Ever, King Joffrey and the Lannisters are confidently enjoying their post-slaughter honeymoon period ruling Westeros. The Stark rebellion is crushed and there are no more imminent-threat contenders to the Iron Throne.

And so we begin season 4 with “Two Swords.” It’s an episode that starts and finishes with scenes involving swords and in between there’s a bunch of characters who consider having sex, but don’t. It’s a hugely confident hour that effortlessly dives into nearly all the major storylines, an appealing mix of super-tight storytelling with a relaxed vibe – the actors are so comfortable in these roles, the dialog so conversational and sharp-witted, this hour just flies by.

The cold open this season is a Red Wedding victory lap by Lord Tywin, melting down Ned Stark’s priceless Valyrian greatsword Ice to the strains of “The Rains of Castamere.” In the show’s pilot we saw Ned use this sword to behead a deserter, then Joffrey’s executioner killed him with it, and now Ice is being forged into two swords to be given to Jaime Lannister and King Smirk-Face. Looking at the brooding tyrannical Tywin, it’s almost like he’s melting the blade himself with his searing gaze.

Game of Thrones season premiere recap Two Swords EW.com

Forum List

Back