Sears Lists 79 Stores To Be Closed...

But but but...the recovery is upon us!

I'm sure it has little to do with the recession. Kmart/Sears has been going downhill for a long time now. The free market is simply pushing out what people don't want.

Do you have a problem with the fact that IL helped keep their stores open and people working by offering tax breaks? I'm sure the amount they reduced their taxes is far, far less than it would cost the state to issue welfare and unemployment checks.

Last edited:
But but but...the recovery is upon us!

I'm sure it has little to do with the recession. Kmart/Sears has been going downhill for a long time now. The free market is simply pushing out what people don't want.

Do you have a problem with the fact that IL helped keep their stores open and people working by offering tax breaks? I'm sure the amount they reduced their taxes is far, far less than it would cost the state to issue welfare and unemployment checks.

Not gonna hear too much from the usual suspect Democrats on that. Their guy offered Tax Breaks and people kept their jobs. They're not quite sure how to respond to that. They'll probably have to head over to the HuffPoop & MSLSD for some Talking-Points on it. Evil Repub err uh i mean Democrat gives a tax break to Sears? Their heads be splodin. :lol:

The middle class has less money to spend. They are the ones who keep the stores going. Simple math here. Less money in the hands of the middle class = less money spent. It isnt the rich who keep the stores afloat. It isnt the poor. Its those who work and spend, you know....the middle class workers.

Yet they keep telling us Unemployment is going down. Sorry,i just don't buy it.

Hope you didn't trip over anything in your rush to post the bad news. You guys are assholes.

Never happy to hear anything like this... but the fact remains that the economy STILL sucks after three years of your guy.

There's a strip mall I pass on the way to work every day. In 2008, it had a Blockbuster, a Conveience Store, a Dry Cleaner, Two small resturants, an eye doctor, a real estate office, a nail salon and a hair salon.

Today, only one of the resturants is still open. The blockbuster is closing its doors. The Eye doctor is still there, as is the hair salon, but that's it.

don't blame the messenger...

We all have those examples.
One strip mall here had a Large grocery store, a Goody's clothing store a shoe store..optical place...Radio Shack...seems like something else...anyway all that is left in the entire strip is Goody's. Everything else - gone.
In 2010 - we lost two banks, two private computer stores, a Mexican restaurant, and Chinese restaurant, real estate company that has been here since I can remember, a lumber store...all I can remember for now.

But hey - thank God we are in a recovery!! :eusa_clap:

" In the parlance of the trade, many chains are simply over-stored." This economy may not bounce back anytime soon.

America has 9 million or more homes on the market and no jobs for an estimated 26 million.

Retail chains are cutting back.

The " boom town economy" mentality killed our economy. It will take several years to recover. Local "boom town economy thinkers" perhaps could apply the moratorium discipline.

America is Over Stored = Economic Displacement is unfriendly to business!

America Is Over Stored

The Wall Street bankers boom town economics building frenzy produced a bumper crop of new retail space. But the occupants haven't materialized.

The carnage in retail hasn't been this bad since an anarchist bombed Chicago's Haymarket Square in 1886. In January, Liz Claiborne said it would shutter 54 Sigrid Olsen stores by mid-2008; Ann Taylor announced that 117 of its 921 stores would be closed over the next three years, and Talbots axed the Talbots Men's and Talbots Kids concepts and 22 Talbots stores. Even Starbucks has scaled back its yearlong saturation-bombing campaign.

But back out inflation and sales of gasoline, and retail sales fell in real terms in the past year. Clearly, demand is down.

And supply is up. This decade's building frenzy produced a bumper crop of new retail space—from McStrip malls built near new McMansions, to hip new boutiques in the ground floors of hip new Miami condo buildings. But as is the case with those McMansions and condos, the occupants for new retail space haven't materialized.

In the fourth quarter of 2007, the national retail-vacancy rate rose for the 11th straight quarter to 7.5 percent—the highest level since 1996, according to research firm Reis, Inc.

With new projects coming online—34 million square feet of retail space will be completed in 2008—the rate is expected to spike further to 8 percent. In the parlance of the trade, many chains are simply over-stored.

Con't
Gross: America the Over-Stored - The Daily Beast

So? Boehner and friends are keeping congress from working on jobs. He continues to do Teaparty bidding at every turn, wasting time and threatening the middle class. Voters understand this, they blasted Republican offices after he made a decision not to extend.

Boehner in Wonderland: House Republicans Give Thumbs Down to Economic Relief « Main Street

Congress doesn't create jobs. The private sector does. and they won't create them if they think the government is going to tax them or regulate them out of any possiblity of a profit.

How could anything Congress did have prevented the collapse of Sears? This is Sears, a company that has been around since the 19th century, the people who practically invented the "Department Store".

And they are going out of business.

Nobody avoids making money because of the potential tax they may face if successful. That's a meme, it flies in the face of logic and frankly, it's preposterous.

Hope you didn't trip over anything in your rush to post the bad news. You guys are assholes.

Never happy to hear anything like this... but the fact remains that the economy STILL sucks after three years of your guy.

There's a strip mall I pass on the way to work every day. In 2008, it had a Blockbuster, a Conveience Store, a Dry Cleaner, Two small resturants, an eye doctor, a real estate office, a nail salon and a hair salon.

Today, only one of the resturants is still open. The blockbuster is closing its doors. The Eye doctor is still there, as is the hair salon, but that's it.

don't blame the messenger...
To be fair, Blockbusters going out of business didn't have much to do with Obama. It was their business model and inability to adapt. It wouldn't have mattered how good the economy was or who the president was, they would still be going out of business.

Will this Administration still try and claim Unemployment is down? Stay tuned.

Sears Holdings Corp on Thursday identified 79 of the 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores it said earlier this week it would close, with the list split almost evenly between the two chains.

The struggling retailer on Tuesday reported weak holiday sales and forecast earnings for the current quarter would fall by more than half compared to the year earlier results. It also said it tapped its credit line.

"What caused this economic downturn goes back to when George W. Bush was merely President-elect, waiting to take office, and continued on through his first six months in office.

Repeatedly, President-elect, and then President, Bush talked about how the economy was in trouble. Arriving in office following the longest continuous economic upturn in generations, President Bush seized on a stock market that had faltered some in the uncertainty following the 2000 Presidential election.

The "bad" economy, he talked about. Again and again. The "bad" economy.

You know what happened as a result? I can tell you from my personal experience, the CFO of the corporation I was working for called a meeting and said, "The President keeps talking about the economy being 'bad.' Now, things don't seem bad, but let's just hold off on any new hires until we see how this pans out. And, let's hold off on all non-vital purchases, just for the time being."

And you can see right there how simply the words of President George W. Bush started slamming the breaks of the economy.

This, of course, all snowballed."

bush_littlebigman.jpg

Just found out that the Sears near us is one of the ones closing. Maybe we can get a deal on a new oven and/or fridge . . . .

Bummer for those who will be losing their jobs. :(

they love bad news... it gives them hope for november.

they're not very bright...but they're heartfelt.

No. It makes us quite sad that our nation is screwed up and that our government is actively contributing to the problem. And it pisses us off when people want to lie and pretend everything is peachy keen when all hell is breaking loose.

Forum List

Back