Sears Lists 79 Stores To Be Closed...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Will this Administration still try and claim Unemployment is down? Stay tuned.

Sears Holdings Corp on Thursday identified 79 of the 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores it said earlier this week it would close, with the list split almost evenly between the two chains.

The struggling retailer on Tuesday reported weak holiday sales and forecast earnings for the current quarter would fall by more than half compared to the year earlier results. It also said it tapped its credit line.

Fitch Ratings on Thursday afternoon downgraded Sears to 'CCC' from 'B', citing a "continued deterioration" in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization, which it said could turn negative next year.

The list does not include any stores in Illinois, where (D) Governor Pat Quinn two weeks ago signed into law tax breaks aimed at keeping Sears and other Illinois-based companies from leaving the state.

Sears lists 79 closings, gets Fitch downgrade | Reuters
Sears | List | Stores Closing | The Daily Caller

Last edited:

Sears Holdings Corp on Thursday identified 79 of the 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores it said earlier this week it would close, with the list split almost evenly between the two chains.

The struggling retailer on Tuesday reported weak holiday sales and forecast earnings for the current quarter would fall by more than half compared to the year earlier results. It also said it tapped its credit line.

Fitch Ratings on Thursday afternoon downgraded Sears to 'CCC' from 'B', citing a "continued deterioration" in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization, which it said could turn negative next year.

The list does not include any stores in Illinois, where (D) Governor Pat Quinn two weeks ago signed into law tax breaks aimed at keeping Sears and other Illinois-based companies from leaving the state.

Illinois and corporate welfare.:badgrin:

Hope you didn't trip over anything in your rush to post the bad news. You guys are assholes.

Never happy to hear anything like this... but the fact remains that the economy STILL sucks after three years of your guy.

There's a strip mall I pass on the way to work every day. In 2008, it had a Blockbuster, a Conveience Store, a Dry Cleaner, Two small resturants, an eye doctor, a real estate office, a nail salon and a hair salon.

Today, only one of the resturants is still open. The blockbuster is closing its doors. The Eye doctor is still there, as is the hair salon, but that's it.

don't blame the messenger...

Hope you didn't trip over anything in your rush to post the bad news. You guys are assholes.

Never happy to hear anything like this... but the fact remains that the economy STILL sucks after three years of your guy.

There's a strip mall I pass on the way to work every day. In 2008, it had a Blockbuster, a Conveience Store, a Dry Cleaner, Two small resturants, an eye doctor, a real estate office, a nail salon and a hair salon.

Today, only one of the resturants is still open. The blockbuster is closing its doors. The Eye doctor is still there, as is the hair salon, but that's it.

don't blame the messenger...

Well they certainly can't say the economy isn't doing better. No one willingly gives up power. Admitting the truth would mean an Election loss next year. And obviously they know that. The only ones who are now doing better are the Wall Street Elite. Most others are still suffering. It is what it is.

(As far as looking at Barry's campaign fund......Maybe all that chatter about Barry having a billion dollars to do battle with the evil Repubs might be abit overbearing considering Barry is such a man of the people. Its not all that unusual though. In the old Soviet Union, the members of the Politburo and the Commisars had the fanciest apartments and drove around in cars while the common worker waited long and patiently in the snow for their loaf of bread and their few scrawny potatoes, then had to hoof it back to their one room, shared communal bathroom digs through the snow with soggy, frozen feet)

"From: Michelle Obama ([email protected])
Subject: I want to be able to say
Date: December 30, 2011 10:55:35 AM EST
To: Drew
Reply-To: [email protected]

Drew –

This holiday has felt a bit like one last long, deep breath before we plunge into 2012.

This time next year, I don’t want us to have any regrets. I want to be able to say we rose to the task, and got it done. We’ve all got some work to do right now.

Over the next 11 months we’ve got an organization to grow, voters to register, and people to get fired up.

I hope you’ll close out this year by donating $3 or more now to help make sure we’re ready for the next one:

https://donate.barackobama.com/No-Regrets"

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Mooch: My $4 Million 17-Day Holiday Vacation To Hawaii “One Last Long, Deep Breath Before Plunging Into 2012″…

Jim Messina:

"Official Obama Campaign Video: Claims We’re Running Billion Dollar Campaign Are “Bullshit”…

Über-classy."

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Official Obama Campaign Video: Claims We’re Running Billion Dollar Campaign Are “Bullshit”…

"Forget all of those Drudge Report headlines about the vacationing first lady’s $2,000 sun dress, the president’s six-plus hour golf outings, and their three-hour, $100-a-person dinner tasting at posh Alan Wong’s restaurant in Honolulu.

Because the president’s 2012 campaign has a new Joe Sixpack theme: “He’s just a dude!”

Softening his image and making him appear more approachable than his whining White House press corps — kept far from his Hawaii vacation stops — suggests, the campaign is distributing a short interview with one of President Obama’s donor dining guests who said his host was far from Superman.

“He’s just a dude!” says Casey Helbling, who attended Obama’s hot dog dinner with low-dollar donors in northern Virginia last October. “It was great to have a frank conversation with him, to realize that he’s not Superman,” he added."

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Obama Campaign Has a New Slogan: “He’s Not Superman, Just a Dude”…

Barack Obama will run the most expensive Presidential Campaign in American History. And it will be funded mostly by Corporate Cash. Especially by large Corporate Banks. He has already received more cash from Big Banks than any other Politician in the last 20yrs. His followers don't know this though because i suspect they don't want to know.

Ours closed last year. Big ticket items weren't selling, as needed, to keep the doors open.

So? Boehner and friends are keeping congress from working on jobs. He continues to do Teaparty bidding at every turn, wasting time and threatening the middle class. Voters understand this, they blasted Republican offices after he made a decision not to extend.

Boehner in Wonderland: House Republicans Give Thumbs Down to Economic Relief « Main Street

But but but...the recovery is upon us!

I'm sure it has little to do with the recession. Kmart/Sears has been going downhill for a long time now. The free market is simply pushing out what people don't want.

Yes, that is my understanding, also. Just one more great thing about a free market economy. The strongest survive. One has to keep up with the needs and demands of the consumer or they can't compete and their time is up. Nothing lasts forever. I wonder what will replace Walmart. I love Walmart. They employ the unemployable and offer the best prices and while the country is still free to choose where they shop and what they eat and buy, Walmart should survive. They have online shopping as well. They are staying competitive, as of this post...:lol:

So? Boehner and friends are keeping congress from working on jobs. He continues to do Teaparty bidding at every turn, wasting time and threatening the middle class. Voters understand this, they blasted Republican offices after he made a decision not to extend.

Boehner in Wonderland: House Republicans Give Thumbs Down to Economic Relief « Main Street

Congress doesn't create jobs. The private sector does. and they won't create them if they think the government is going to tax them or regulate them out of any possiblity of a profit.

How could anything Congress did have prevented the collapse of Sears? This is Sears, a company that has been around since the 19th century, the people who practically invented the "Department Store".

And they are going out of business.

The free market claims another victim and people blame Obama? What is he supposed to do about Sears being more expensive and Kmart having lousy shoddy merchandise?

I'm sure it has little to do with the recession. Kmart/Sears has been going downhill for a long time now. The free market is simply pushing out what people don't want.

Agreed.

Kmart tried with the Martha Stewart brand, Sears with Land's End and currently the Kardashian Kollection. The only reason why I know of the KK brand is because I saw this story on the news a few days back. I heard though, it was going to be 200 Kmart and Sears stores. Regardless, anyone closing their doors and people getting laid off is bad news. Bad news as in a lot of other bad news we talk about here on USMB. ( reference to stupid bad news post )

Personally, I stopped shopping at Sears several years ago. After a few experiences with bad customer service, I decided to end my relationship with them. The Kmart near my house is a shit-hole. I was in there back in September ... first time in many many years. The place was still a mess and the employess were not all that knowledgable.

Yes, that is my understanding, also. Just one more great thing about a free market economy. The strongest survive. One has to keep up with the needs and demands of the consumer or they can't compete and their time is up. Nothing lasts forever. I wonder what will replace Walmart. I love Walmart. They employ the unemployable and offer the best prices and while the country is still free to choose where they shop and what they eat and buy, Walmart should survive. They have online shopping as well. They are staying competitive, as of this post...:lol:

Well said. Thanks.

Forum List

Back