Sears Gets a ILLINOIS Tax Break

1) Businesses are NOT undergoing a mass exodus because of this TEMPORARY tax increase. (Yes, GHOOK, I'll bet you didn't know that, did you?)

The tax increase was enacted as a temporary measure and is slated to drop back to 5.25 percent in 2015.....

2) It's making the state money......

3) Illinois is also prevented from increasing spending.....

A spending cap would limit state spending through 2015. If lawmakers were caught exceeding the new limits, the new tax rates would revert to their original rates.

Illinois tax increase: why lawmakers passed 66 percent income-tax hike - CSMonitor.com

4) CAT not only did NOT leave they invested a BILLION more dollars in their ILLINOIS operations. But I've already covered that with GHOOK. So he knows not to go there.

5) Illinois is STILL the best state in the US in which to earn a living.

Rankings of the Best 10 States for Making a Living

GHOOK.....We've gone over and over this and yet you simply refuse to post all of the FACTS everytime you go here. And then I'm forced to post ALL of the facts and prove you wrong.

you are mixing apples and oranges, here;

Illinois, no. 48.

Best/Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Your link and comment does not negate the fact that Illinois remains the best state in the nation to make a living.

Of course businesses are going to rate highly any state that has no taxation and a workforce that is content to be among the lowest paid in the nation. But even sucky, low skill and low paying jobs are better than no jobs so that helps explain why people are willing to pull up and go there during these economic hard times.

Also the reason that Illinois dropped so dramatically is because of the TEMPORARY tax increase. It will revert back in 2015. Let's see what happens then. But there has not been any "mass exodus" of businesses. That was just a scare tactic that the Repubs used.

Illinois is getting its financial house in order. They're getting a handle on pension obligations and recently revamped worker comp laws.

Illinois lawmakers approve workers comp reform bill | Business Insurance

It's important that businesses AND workers share in the pain to get Illinois back on its feet. But it's happening and once Illinois gets through this rough patch we'll see then what happens to those rankings.

Hmmm....... I guess we can see what the result of the 'Conservative' policies in Wisconsin are. And that tax increase in Illinois ran out a bunch of businesses? Then how come their employment went up? Come on 'Conservatives' that cannot happen can it?

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/laus.pdf

In October, nonfarm payroll employment increased in 39 states and the District of Columbia, and
decreased in 11 states. The largest over-the-month increases in employment occurred in Illinois
(+30,000)
and California (+25,700). The largest over-the-month decrease in employment occurred in
Wisconsin (-9,700),
followed by New York (-8,300) and Minnesota (-6,100). Delaware experienced the
largest over-the-month percentage increase in employment (+1.0 percent), followed by North Dakota
(+0.7 percent) and Oklahoma (+0.6 percent). Wisconsin experienced the largest over-the-month
percentage decline in employment (-0.4 percent), followed by Maine, Rhode Island, and Wyoming
(-0.3 percent each). Over the year, nonfarm employment increased in 45 states and the District of
Columbia, and decreased in 5 states. The largest over-the-year percentage increase occurred in North
Dakota (+4.9 percent), followed by Oklahoma (+3.1 percent) and Utah (+2.6 percent). The largest overthe-
year percentage decreases in employment occurred in Georgia (-0.9 percent) and Indiana
(-0.4 percent).

Hmmm....... I guess we can see what the result of the 'Conservative' policies in Wisconsin are. And that tax increase in Illinois ran out a bunch of businesses? Then how come their employment went up? Come on 'Conservatives' that cannot happen can it?

In October, nonfarm payroll employment increased in 39 states and the District of Columbia, and
decreased in 11 states. The largest over-the-month increases in employment occurred in Illinois
(+30,000)
and California (+25,700). The largest over-the-month decrease in employment occurred in
Wisconsin (-9,700),
largest over-the-month percentage increase in employment (+1.0 percent), followed by North Dakota
(+0.7 percent) and Oklahoma (+0.6 percent). Wisconsin experienced the largest over-the-month
percentage decline in employment (-0.4 percent), followed by Maine, Rhode Island, and Wyoming
(-0.3 percent each). Over the year, nonfarm employment increased in 45 states and the District of
Columbia, and decreased in 5 states. The largest over-the-year percentage increase occurred in North
Dakota (+4.9 percent), followed by Oklahoma (+3.1 percent) and Utah (+2.6 percent). The largest overthe-
year percentage decreases in employment occurred in Georgia (-0.9 percent) and Indiana
(-0.4 percent).

Well don't tell GHOOK that. It will ruin his fantasy.

1) Businesses are NOT undergoing a mass exodus because of this TEMPORARY tax increase. (Yes, GHOOK, I'll bet you didn't know that, did you?)

The tax increase was enacted as a temporary measure and is slated to drop back to 5.25 percent in 2015.....
You think they are temporary? Just like the largest middle class income tax in the US? :lol: You are more naive then I thought! The tolls where suppose to be temporary, now they are $0.75 ($1.25 by cash)!

AND YES SMALL BUSINESSES THAT DON'T MAKE THE HEADLINES ARE LEAVING ILLINOIS!

I posted this 6 months ago. It only took 6 months for Indiana to achieve it's IL business theft goals!!!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3772749-post3.html
Indiana‘s efforts to steal away business from Illinois appear to be paying off. When Illinois enacted a cluster of tax hikes to rein in a ballooning deficit, Indiana Commerce Secretary Mitch Roob says he predicted a dozen Illinois businesses would migrate to Indiana by the end of the year. It took six months.

Roob is counting two companies which picked Indiana over Illinois without any extra incentives. Along with those, he says three companies have moved to Indiana, and seven more which had facilities in both states have consolidated operations in Indiana. Indiana tried a similar strategy in California without much luck so far.
Sames words different article!
Quote:
http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/i...nois-business/
In an ongoing effort to attract businesses to move from Illinois, state Commerce Secretary Mitch Roob says Indiana’s success has exceeded expectations.

In a presentation to the Indiana Economic Development Corporation board meeting Thursday, Roob announced 12 businesses had either relocated, consolidated or come to Indiana without the state having to use incentives in 2011.

The goal of the effort had originally been to win 12 businesses from Illinois in 12 months; Roob says that the state accomplishing it in only six months is an indication of how frustrated Illinois businesses are.

“The level of dissatisfaction,” he said, “is really significant in the business community there and people are…have had enough.”

Roob says Indiana must stay the course with its fiscal policy as it continues to try and poach Illinois businesses.

“We’ll do what the governor has done,” he said, “what the General Assembly has done and what local governments throughout our states have done which is live inside their means.”

Roob says Indiana hopes Illinois gets its house in order, but until it does, the state will continue to do its best to attract companies frustrated with Illinois’ business climate.

Big businesses aren't leaving the state, because they are getting backdoor deals like Sears just got!

Greasing one company and telling the other to fuck themselves. That is crony capitalism at it's worst!
http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/172104-chicago-politics-provide-backdoor-deals.html
Recently, Gov. Pat Quinn has been offering some of Illinois' largest corporations incentive packages to keep them from relocating. Motorola was given $100 million in tax breaks; Navistar pocketed $65 million; Chrysler received a $62 million investment package; all in all nearly $500 million in incentives have been given to at least 80 large private corporations in the last two years.

Even The Wall Street Journal recently editorialized on Illinois' high corporate tax rates and special tax breaks that Quinn has doled out with little transparency or accountability. The editorial reminded us that handing out favors one business at a time is "politically corrupting and an ineffective economic development strategy."

I hear local business owners complain about burdensome regulation, ever-increasing taxes and other issues like workers' compensation — but none of those businesses is getting taxpayer subsidies to lessen the blow of the tax hike. Some employ several hundred people, others just a few, but none receives the red carpet treatment these huge multinationals get from the governor's office.

Small and medium-size businesses are vital to Illinois' economic recovery and are the vehicles that support entrepreneurship and innovation. Why should a local business have to pay a tax that a massive corporation is essentially exempted from? I am not criticizing the corporations that call Illinois home, rather the fundamental unfairness of deeming our smaller firms unworthy of similar tax relief. Instead of rushing to provide special deals for our largest corporations, we need to focus on supporting all our struggling businesses by lessening the regulatory and tax burden across the board. The easiest way to attract business is to lower taxes.

The state owes millions of dollars to small businesses that have not received their tax refunds in the past few years. All the while, these companies must continue to pay taxes, even though they have not received what is owed them. We need to pass Senate Bill 1741 that would allow those businesses to write off money they are owed from their future tax liability.

2) It's making the state money......

Businesses may complain about the additional burden, but the state is seeing the desired effect: a nearly 40 percent jump in revenue for fiscal year 2011.
They are getting that off the INDIVIDUAL tax payor and small business owners back. Unemployment is higher than the national average. IT'S AT 10.1%!!! You care about Springfield lining their profit? Why not care about them getting out of the way so employers can hire!

State Unemployment Update
IL is at 10.1, we are top 10! Not very good!

3) Illinois is also prevented from increasing spending.....

A spending cap would limit state spending through 2015. If lawmakers were caught exceeding the new limits, the new tax rates would revert to their original rates.

Illinois tax increase: why lawmakers passed 66 percent income-tax hike - CSMonitor.com
LOL, if you think a so-called Spending Cap has ever prevented an IL politician from raising taxes then your a very naive individual!

4) CAT not only did NOT leave they invested a BILLION more dollars in their ILLINOIS operations. But I've already covered that with GHOOK. So he knows not to go there.
Because they got a backdoor crony capitalism Chicago-Style deal to which they pay no taxes. I think I already covered that.

Side note: Thank god they didn't leave, that would have been devastating. Same with Sears! But these crony style moves shouldn't be allowed and shouldn't tax place!

5) Illinois is STILL the best state in the US in which to earn a living.

Because IL has good infrastructure, Chicago, Ohare, the Great Lakes and use to have low income tax on the middle class and favorable corporate tax.

Businesses and people are leaving. Hence why we LOST House Reps this year!

GHOOK.....We've gone over and over this and yet you simply refuse to post all of the FACTS everytime you go here. And then I'm forced to post ALL of the facts and prove you wrong.
You have to be joking!

right now basically every state on the continental US is trying to get a new factory Caterpillar is going to build.

Enacting the tax was a bad move. They are figuring that out right now. However, the Big Guys get backdoor tax breaks while the little guys get screwed. Everyone should get tax breaks.

People just can't understand why businesses are flocking to Texas and why Texas is creating more jobs than the other 49 states combined. It has ALOT to do with the zero corporate and income tax!

AND the fact that they have the highest percent of people making minimum wage in the nation.

And yet #3 on the list you cited.

Back to the main point of the thread - big corps in Illinois are getting tax breaks and special deals that nobody else gets. I do not understand how anybody, least of all lib/dems who purport to be against this stuff can possibly support it because democrats are doing it in a blue state. All the excuses you're making, you sound just like the repubs who do the same thing for their constituents. You're a bunch of hypocrites.

(+30,000)
Wisconsin (-9,700),
(-0.4 percent).

From your Article Rocky!
US - 9%
CA - 11.7% (second highest in nation)
IL - 10.1% (Top 10 worst)
WI - 7.7% (Top 50% best)!

What is your point. IL had too good months Woopie. WI 9.2% in 2009 before Walker took over. In 2009 IL was at 8.5% before Quinn took over!

Wisconsin State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Enacting the tax was a bad move. They are figuring that out right now. However, the Big Guys get backdoor tax breaks while the little guys get screwed. Everyone should get tax breaks.

People just can't understand why businesses are flocking to Texas and why Texas is creating more jobs than the other 49 states combined. It has ALOT to do with the zero corporate and income tax!

AND the fact that they have the highest percent of people making minimum wage in the nation.

Take the property tax, gas takes, cost of goods and cost of property and you have on of the highest costs of living in the country! Just like San Francisco. You might make $120K in SF, but you are better off making $60K in Des Moises, IW!

The problem that I see here is that a tax raise is enacted, and then the big guys are excepted, which leaves the de facto state to be nothing but a tax raise for the smaller guys. I don't have any objection to creating incentives to keep business in your area. But if this is how they were going to do things, they should not have passed the increase in the first place. All it's doing is hurting smaller businesses.

The problem that I see here is that a tax raise is enacted, and then the big guys are excepted, which leaves the de facto state to be nothing but a tax raise for the smaller guys. I don't have any objection to creating incentives to keep business in your area. But if this is how they were going to do things, they should not have passed the increase in the first place. All it's doing is hurting smaller businesses.

They had to know how this was going to play out, I'm thinking they went to the big corps in Illinois and told 'em not to worry cuz we'll exempt you or cut a deal somehow. You're right, the smaller businesses still pay the extra taxes, and these are the guys you want to hire more people. It's dishonest, it's hypocitical, and it's really stupid economics.

Take the property tax, gas takes, cost of goods and cost of property and you have on of the highest costs of living in the country! Just like San Francisco. You might make $120K in SF, but you are better off making $60K in Des Moises, IW!

Uh....Iowa's abbreviation is IA and it's spelled Des Moines.

Leave it to you, someone who live north of I-80, to moan about the high cost of living. You want a 10k-15k pay increase? Move to southern Illinois. I already talked about a recently remodeled 4 bedroom home on 4 acres that I could have hooked you up with for $60,000 with property taxes that are less than $1,000 per year. You couldn't pay me enough to live up where you do. People don't live there, they merely exist.

I guess we'll never agree on this issue. But only you can put a negative spin on a TEMPORARY tax increase while it helps the state get caught up, has not resulted in a mass exodus (you tried pointing out that they are going to Indiana but employment has increased in Illinois yet decreased in Indiana????), Illinois still remains the NUMBER ONE state to make a living, tax receipts have greatly increased and lawmakers are prevented from increasing spending.

You're great at bitching but you offer no alternatives.

Sooo.....what would YOU have done if you were in Quinn's place to solve the problem in Illinois? And don't say you wished the lawmakers did this or that in the past. You can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what gets filled first.

Bear in mind before you answer that you cannot impair any pensions without being in violation of the Illinois Constitution.

ARTICLE XIII

SECTION 5. PENSION AND RETIREMENT RIGHTS
Membership in any pension or retirement system of the
State, any unit of local government or school district, or
any agency or instrumentality thereof, shall be an
enforceable contractual relationship, the benefits of which
shall not be diminished or impaired.

Illinois Constitution - Article XIII

Would you balance the budget solely on the backs of the poor, elderly and working men and women?

I'm very interested in seeing YOUR solutions.

Bingo!

They had to know how this was going to play out, I'm thinking they went to the big corps in Illinois and told 'em not to worry cuz we'll exempt you or cut a deal somehow. You're right, the smaller businesses still pay the extra taxes, and these are the guys you want to hire more people. It's dishonest, it's hypocitical, and it's really stupid economics.

Not just that, but they also told them don't worry you will be exempt from the IL corp tax, but you also need to make a generous donation to my campaign! :eusa_whistle:

Leave it to you, someone who live north of I-80, to moan about the high cost of living. You want a 10k-15k pay increase? Move to southern Illinois. I already talked about a recently remodeled 4 bedroom home on 4 acres that I could have hooked you up with for $60,000 with property taxes that are less than $1,000 per year. You couldn't pay me enough to live up where you do. People don't live there, they merely exist.

I guess we'll never agree on this issue. But only you can put a negative spin on a TEMPORARY tax increase while it helps the state get caught up, has not resulted in a mass exodus (you tried pointing out that they are going to Indiana but employment has increased in Illinois yet decreased in Indiana????), Illinois still remains the NUMBER ONE state to make a living, tax receipts have greatly increased and lawmakers are prevented from increasing spending.

You're great at bitching but you offer no alternatives.

Sooo.....what would YOU have done if you were in Quinn's place to solve the problem in Illinois? And don't say you wished the lawmakers did this or that in the past. You can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what gets filled first.

Bear in mind before you answer that you cannot impair any pensions without being in violation of the Illinois Constitution.

ARTICLE XIII

Would you balance the budget solely on the backs of the poor, elderly and working men and women?

Temporary tax increase?

Thats funny.............

OK spelling nazi! :redface:

Part of my wife's business is buying and selling property in Springfield. I know how ridiculously low priced the houses are the further you move away from Chicago. Heck the more South you go you see the lower gas prices immediately. You get a lot of land for your dollar. But my well paying job is in Chicago area, my house underwater is here (20% down didn't help me), the schools are 10 fold better and we have all our friends and family up this way. Not happening anytime soon. And if we are moving away, we are going South to Texas or Arizona (where we both went to school).

I guess we'll never agree on this issue. But only you can put a negative spin on a TEMPORARY tax increase while it helps the state get caught up,
How long you been in IL? Temporary increases and fees are NEVER temporary. The 10% Cook County sales tax was supposed to end 3 years ago! Tolls for the highways were suppose to end decades ago, now they are $0.75!

has not resulted in a mass exodus (you tried pointing out that they are going to Indiana but employment has increased in Illinois yet decreased in Indiana????), Illinois still remains the NUMBER ONE state to make a living, tax receipts have greatly increased and lawmakers are prevented from increasing spendingYou're great at bitching but you offer no alternatives. .
First, IL went from unemployment in the 7s to 10.1 NOW. Employment hasn't increased in IN. What the fuck are you talking about. Do you believe the shit you make up. If IL had IN or WI unemployment numbers, Illinoisians would see that as a GIANTITIC leap in the right direction!

Second, if we aren't seeing an exodus, then why did we lose house reps? We lost population as people fleed IL!

First, I would take on the Communist Teacher's Unions, much like the Great Gov Walker did. Gov Walker didn't lay off teachers, raise taxes, cut medicare etc. What he did is make teachers actually pay for their health insurance and pension plan (at half the rate of the private sector I might add). He had a HUGE deficit and not the revenues IL had, yet his plan is creating a surplus for WI, schools are now in the black and they are HIRING teachers!
Second, I would enact a law REQUIRING all IL employers to use eVerify.
Third, I would enact a AZ style immigration plan. Illegal immigrants cost us too much at the hospitals, schools, food stamps and welfare office.
Fourth I would make us a right to work state!
Fifth, I would end public sector pension plans, grandfathering many longtime workers. Then I would transition them into individual retirement plans (401k).
Sixth, I would make public sector workers actually pay a fair share for their healthcare.
Seventh, I would take every state agency place them on a board, and cut 15% of the agencies in one week.
Seventh, I wouldn't have raised the income tax, corporate etc.

ARTICLE XIII

This part of the IL constitution would be changed. I would attack the Union thugs with a sledge hammer!

Forum List

Back