Search function glitch.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I saw a post yesterday or the day before with 'NRA' in the title, but I didn't get back to it so I used the search function to try to find it.

I typed in 'NRA' and it came back with 'sorry, no matches' even tho I just posted a thread that had NRA in the body.

Am I missing something?

I saw a post yesterday or the day before with 'NRA' in the title, but I didn't get back to it so I used the search function to try to find it.

I typed in 'NRA' and it came back with 'sorry, no matches' even tho I just posted a thread that had NRA in the body.

Am I missing something?

I've also noticed that when I search for posts with my user name in them so I can easily find replies to some of my posts, it shows nothing since 7/28 but there are several more posts that should have shown up.

Am I missing something?

Nope. The search function of vBulletin sucks. That's why I find it amusing when someone says "prove I said that 6 months ago!" Good luck! There is no way you can find a post from so long ago.

Am I missing something?

Nope. The search function of vBulletin sucks. That's why I find it amusing when someone says "prove I said that 6 months ago!" Good luck! There is no way you can find a post from so long ago.

That's pretty much it right there. Common with most forums, the search feature isn't what the designers focus on so it lacks a lot. If you posted in it you can check your own list of posts or you "subscriptions" section in your control panel, it should show up in those lists unless you turned off the subscriptions. If you didn't then try to remember the whole title and use that in the search, it should yield better results.

Am I missing something?

That's pretty much it right there. Common with most forums, the search feature isn't what the designers focus on so it lacks a lot. If you posted in it you can check your own list of posts or you "subscriptions" section in your control panel, it should show up in those lists unless you turned off the subscriptions. If you didn't then try to remember the whole title and use that in the search, it should yield better results.

oh yeah? i still say it is the search string. only three characters and you will get nothing. aren't you supposed to know this shit?

oh yeah? i still say it is the search string. only three characters and you will get nothing. aren't you supposed to know this shit?

Yes, and many words are only three letters long, not all search engines are designed as poorly as AOL was or Bing is.

Missourian, just noticed, I have never used this search before, but the software uses a Google search, so if you have a script blocker you have to allow the Google sites for it to work.

Yes, and many words are only three letters long, not all search engines are designed as poorly as AOL was or Bing is.

wouldn't it be a good PSA to tell posters not to search for short strings, giggle, instead of baffling them with bullshit as is your specialty.

like as a moderator telling the OP: you can't search for NRA because it is too short a search string, look for something else, 4 characters is working.

wouldn't it be a good PSA to tell posters not to search for short strings, giggle, instead of baffling them with bullshit as is your specialty.

like as a moderator telling the OP: you can't search for NRA because it is too short a search string, look for something else, 4 characters is working.

I did a search for "NRA" and it pulled up all the posts, so why don't you stop trying to sound like you know it all ... mmkay? The reason people trust my advice on tech stuff here is because if I don't know I will make a guess then look for a better answer, but I never say I know everything, only that I know how to find it. This has been true from before I was a moderator, and no, most moderators do not know how things work.

I did a search for "NRA" and it pulled up all the posts, so why don't you stop trying to sound like you know it all ... mmkay? The reason people trust my advice on tech stuff here is because if I don't know I will make a guess then look for a better answer, but I never say I know everything, only that I know how to find it. This has been true from before I was a moderator, and no, most moderators do not know how things work.

so can you teach me how to search on USMB for 3 character strings?

this is an honest question.

To repeat myself, you must have Google unblocked, otherwise it's as simple as entering it into the box, unless IE is now keeping you from doing and you are not running FF it works.

To repeat myself, you must have Google unblocked, otherwise it's as simple as entering it into the box, unless IE is now keeping you from doing and you are not running FF it works.

this is not a good PSA, i run FF or opera and don't block google. i can't find NRA

this is not a good PSA, i run FF or opera and don't block google. i can't find NRA

First, which search are you using, the advanced or the quick search. Secondly, do you have scripts enabled for both google.com and usmesageboard.com?

Use the Quick Search, near the top to the right of the main page, as I said, the search engines for most forums sucks, Google does not.

First, which search are you using, the advanced or the quick search. Secondly, do you have scripts enabled for both google.com and usmesageboard.com?

i used advanced and quick search. no way for the 3 char and less strings.

for the google search it works, but this is not a special search function of this board, this is google.

so if you know a way to retrieve the search string NRA e.g. via board software, please tell me, and make it a sticky.

for the google search it works, but this is not a special search function of this board, this is google.

so if you know a way to retrieve the search string NRA e.g. via board software, please tell me, and make it a sticky.

As I said, the board software is less capable than Google, period.

this interaction should not be about you being somewhat right.

it should be informative for the users of this board, esp. the OP.

haha, i think i did more to inform anyone who might be reading this thread than you, and i am not even trying.

this interaction should not be about you being somewhat right.

it should be informative for the users of this board, esp. the OP.

haha, i think i did more to inform anyone who might be reading this thread than you, and i am not even trying.

Wow ... the arrogance in you. Here's a clue, you have no idea what you are talking about, just face it and move on, there are a lot of people better than you, though it's hard for you to face, it's a fact.

Thanks KK. I didn't know the 'Google Search' option only searched USMB, I thought it was a web search.

Forum List

Back