Sean Hannity's "Freedom Concerts" are a Scam

To put it into perspective:

Since 2003, More than $48 million has been collected. Less than $2 million has been spent on Veterans and their families.

There is no possible justification for this.

Since 2003, More than $48 million has been collected. Less than $2 million has been spent on Veterans and their families.

i may have missed this, but do you have a link for that? if that is true and this is non-profit charity, i'm pretty certain that is illegal.

i may have missed this, but do you have a link for that? if that is true and this is non-profit charity, i'm pretty certain that is illegal.

“Chickenbone” wrote:

Since 2003 Freedom Alliance has collected in cash $48,241,571! Since 2003 they have spent on the Wounded and Dead Veterans and their Families $1,781,782 or .036 cents on the dollar, according to their own IRS 990’s!

Charity Navigator Rating - Freedom Alliance

That comment was posted in September of 2009. And you can clearly see this being reflected on their own IRS 990's.

If you look at the actual 990, it breaks down its program expenses. They actually spent more money this past year on postage than they did over the past 4 years on scholarships. They paid 60k to an air company, millions to consultants, marketing, fundraising. Their actual expenditures on funds for children of killed/disabled veterans is far less than what they paid themselves or their consultants. Having a large capacity (4 stars) should not overshadow a cumbersome efficiency rating (2 stars).

That's from November 2008.

Last edited:
I just went through the tax returns, you're right it's despicable, just when I thought Libs could not get any lower.

Sean is going to eat Debbie Schussels guts for lunch tomorrow

You should probably apologize now Dog
Schussel is a con and normally an ally of Hannity's.

'splain it away Liability.

You betcha! By golly...WoW!!

Had you been paying attention (i.e., if you were capable of paying attention and accurately grasping the gist of the written word) you would have noticed that I haven't "explained away" anything, nor have I tried.

What I DID do was to provide some information which COULD serve to slow down the propensity of some folks here to prejudge.

Dogbert says, now, for example, that of the approximately $48 million collected since 2003, less than $2 million has been spent on the targeted beneficiaries.

We might have to agree to disagree about that claim. Or we might get back to it later. But as just one example, Page 25 reflects over $1 million spent on intended recipients in 2008, alone.

But Dogbert's complaint is still misleading.

In 2008, of all of the "assets" reported by the Freedom Alliance, over 15 Million were at least temporarily RESTRICTED ASSETS (see page 11 of the tax filing, line 28).

We might have to agree to disagree about that claim. Or we might get back to it later. But as just one example, Page 25 reflects over $1 million spent on intended recipients in 2008, alone.

But Dogbert's complaint is still misleading.

In 2008, of all of the "assets" reported by the Freedom Alliance, over 15 Million were at least temporarily RESTRICTED ASSETS (see page 11 of the tax filing, line 28).

And then, there are the 2008 Freedom Alliance tax forms, which were signed in November 2009 and filed only recently. That year, Freedom Alliance took in $8,781,431 in revenue and gave $1,060,275.57 total–or just 12%–to seriously wounded soldiers and for scholarships to kids of the fallen. Remember, this is well below the 75% required to be considered a legitimate charity. And after claiming in written letters to donors that 100% of the money donated, via the Freedom Concerts or otherwise, to the scholarships would go directly to the scholarships and not to expenses, the Freedom Alliance decided to do the contrary and charge expenses anyway–charging a whopping $436,386 to give out $802,250 in scholarships. That means that 35% of the $1,238,636–all of which was supposed to go to scholarships for these kids of the fallen–went to Freedom Alliance.

Freedom Alliance spent $5,375,654–or 61% of its total revenue earned in 2008–on expenses, but actually 80% of the total revenue spent and given out for that year. That includes $1,055,791 spent on postage and $925,392 on printing. It spent $157,041 on travel. Is this the item that includes the money for the alleged Sean Hannity Gulfstream flights?

The amount of money being spent vs. how much money is actually going to the people the charity was made for is very slanted in expenses that go into the personal coffers of Freedom Alliance in one way or another.

This is a very piss poor charity in terms of how much is actually being donated per dollar given.

“Chickenbone” wrote:

Since 2003 Freedom Alliance has collected in cash $48,241,571! Since 2003 they have spent on the Wounded and Dead Veterans and their Families $1,781,782 or .036 cents on the dollar, according to their own IRS 990’s!

Charity Navigator Rating - Freedom Alliance

That comment was posted in September of 2009. And you can clearly see this being reflected on their own IRS 990's.

If you look at the actual 990, it breaks down its program expenses. They actually spent more money this past year on postage than they did over the past 4 years on scholarships. They paid 60k to an air company, millions to consultants, marketing, fundraising. Their actual expenditures on funds for children of killed/disabled veterans is far less than what they paid themselves or their consultants. Having a large capacity (4 stars) should not overshadow a cumbersome efficiency rating (2 stars).

That's from November 2008.

you shouldn't base your proof on others comments, look at the actual 990's...those comments are innacurate as to their expenditures for their mission purpose.

here is one:

http://207.153.189.83/EINS/541411430/541411430_2007_0445BFF5.PDF

upon further review of the this nonprofit, there is nothing illegal, at most, possibly some inneffeciency, but their admin costs are low....i have no doubt we could find numerous liberal charities with the same ratings/ratios, but we all know you won't find those and call them out.

Even if its a fund for scholarships for kids who are 6 and 8 years old now????

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Would you PLEASE stop that!? You INSIST on not just making sense, but doing so in a very clear fashion.

This befuddles our liberals.

Schlussel is a right wing blogger, BTW.

DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL: HANNITY/NORTH SCAM TROOPS WITH “FREEDOM ALLIANCE” : Veterans Today

DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL: HANNITY/NORTH SCAM TROOPS WITH “FREEDOM ALLIANCE”

March 19, 2010 by Gordon Duff ·

SEAN HANNITY’S FREEDOM CONCERT SCAM: ALMOST NONE OF CHARITY’S $ WENT TO INJURED TROOPS, KIDS OF FALLEN TROOPS; G5S FOR VANNITY?

By Debbie Schlussel

****03/19/10: SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATE: My Response to Freedom Alliance’s/Oliver North’s Weak “Non-Response” & New Lies ****

For the last several years, Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance “charity” have conducted “Freedom Concerts” across America. They’ve told you that they are raising money to pay for the college tuition of the children of fallen soldiers and to pay severely wounded war vets. And on Friday Night, Hannity will be honored with an award for this “Outstanding Community Service by a Radio Talk Show Host” at Talkers Magazine’s convention.

But it’s all a huge scam.

In fact, less than 20%–and in two recent years, less than 7% and 4%, respectively–of the money raised by Freedom Alliance went to these causes, while millions of dollars went to expenses, including consultants and apparently to ferry the Hannity posse of family and friends in high style. And, despite Hannity’s statements to the contrary on his nationally syndicated radio show, few of the children of fallen soldiers got more than $1,000-$2,000, with apparently none getting more than $6,000, while Freedom Alliance appears to have spent tens of thousands of dollars for private planes. Moreover, despite written assurances to donors that all money raised would go directly to scholarships for kids of the fallen heroes and not to expenses, has begun charging expenses of nearly $500,000 to give out just over $800,000 in scholarships.

In February 2009, a well-known conservative writer sent me this, about a friend at FOX News:

The guy went on to tell me about Hannity’s “Freedom Concerts,” which are staged across the country with the proceeds going to children of slain soldiers. Of course, as the guy tells it, there’d be a lot more money every concert to go to the cause if Hannity didn’t demand–and get–use of a Gulfstream 5 plane to fly him and his family/entourage to the concerts; a “fleet” (that’s the word the guy used) of either Cadillac or Lincoln SUVs for him and his family/entourage; and several suites at really expensive hotels for him and his family/entourage. The promoter apparently values Hannity’s star demands at well over $200,000 per event. The source says he heard that Oliver North pulled Hannity aside at one of the concerts and told him that this had to stop. But that may mean that, from now on, Hannity has to fly on a G4 instead of a G5, gets only a few luxury SUVs, and two or three suites.

North is the founder and honorary chairman of Freedom Alliance.

I began investigating these claims, and lo and behold, I discovered that Freedom Alliance gives very little money to the children of slain troops to pay for college and even less to wounded troops. The stories of injuries to troops and how much Freedom Alliance gives them–$200 for a soldier from a poor neighborhood who lost three limbs–is heartbreaking. Soldiers with traumatic brain injuries, severe wounds to the face from disfiguring burns and explosions, and multiple amputations got $1,000 or less, with only a handful of exceptions.

The tax forms available to the public for the Freedom Alliance–for the years 2006-2008–paint a tragic story, a story of a charity that makes gazillions and spends very little for the purposes it claims, a charity that spends millions more on its small staff and crony consultants than it ever gives in scholarships to the children of the fallen or severely injured troops or in aid to the injured troops themselves. While Hannity’s Freedom Concerts take in millions, only a few hundred thousand go to the claimed intended recipients.

Over a year ago, when I began looking into this story, I contacted both Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance seeking comment and an accounting for where the money went. Both declined to answer any of my questions. Hannity refused to respond to an inquiry I sent to his personal private e-mail address asking him about the lavish expenses described in the e-mail above.

Freedom Alliance press secretary Alan Moore scheduled an interview for me with Freedom Alliance president Thomas Kilgannon, who in the past used Freedom Alliance resources to promote a book he wrote on the United Nations. But when Moore asked me what the interview would be about and I answered truthfully, the interview was not granted, and my calls to him were never returned thereafter. I told him I’d be asking Mr. Kilgannon about the expenses paid for Hannity and about the paltry percentage of Freedom Alliance funds actually going to the kids of fallen troops, to severely injured troops, and to anything other than expenses, consultants, and printing. I wanted to know why Freedom Alliance had spent $60,000 for “aviation services” in 2006.

Keep in mind that a charity is considered reputable if no more than 25% of its revenue goes to expenses and no less than 75% of it goes to the intended charity recipients. Given that, Freedom Alliance’s balance sheets are embarrassing in their shamelessness.

According to its 2006 tax returns, Freedom Alliance reported revenue of $10, 822, 785, but only $397,900–or a beyond-measly 3.68%–of that was given to the children of fallen troops as scholarships or as aid to severely injured soldiers.

On the other hand, 62% of the money went to “expenses,” including $979,485 for “consultants” and an “advisor.” Yes, consultant/advisors got more than double what injured troops and the kids of fallen troops got. The tax forms show that “New World Aviation” got paid $60,601 for “air travel.” Was that for Hannity’s G5? Like I said, neither the charity nor Hannity is talking. And finally, that year, Freedom Alliance spent $1,730,816 on postage and shipping and $1,414,215 on printing, for a total of $3,145,031, nearly half the revenue the charity spent that year and about eight times what the injured troops and the children of fallen ones received.

That’s especially heartbreaking when you compare the hundreds of thousands consultants got and the millions spent on printing and postage to the outrageously small amounts given to wounded soldiers. In 2006, Freedom Alliance gave only $1,000 to a soldier from Bay City, Michigan, whom the charity says was in the following condition:

this has already been posted in a couple thraeds, its not particurly true. much of the money is saved long term because its for scholarships for kids who are now too young. its meant for their college tution.

north is already indirectly responsible for many other dead soliders anyway by selling the weapons used to kill them for personal profit.

'splain it away Liability.

You betcha! By golly...WoW!!

I'm curious Marc, would you have supported Barry Soetoro if he was 100% white instead of half African? Are you as big of a racist piece of shit as your avatar was?

Evidence of this?

Considering what they gave to consultants vs how much they give away in scholarships each year is pitiful. The numbers are clear. You want to discuss the tax returns for 20 years from now, be my guest. I'll be talking about the tax returns that are actually on record, and not any partisan guessing.

"This week, false and malicious allegations about Freedom Alliance were posted on the Internet and we want to address them with you. We don’t know the motivation for these vicious smears, but we will not allow them to go unanswered."

Dear Friends of Freedom Alliance: (March 18, 2010)

This week, false and malicious allegations about Freedom Alliance were posted on the Internet and we want to address them with you. We don’t know the motivation for these vicious smears, but we will not allow them to go unanswered.

First, we want to thank you for your support and assure you that Freedom Alliance’s record of financial stewardship and programmatic achievements not only meets, but exceeds standards of program efficiency set by most charity evaluators. We are extraordinarily proud of our work at Freedom Alliance and stand by our efforts 100 percent.

False Accusations

The blog posting accuses our friend Sean Hannity of personally benefiting from Freedom Alliance. This is FALSE. Freedom Alliance has never provided planes, hotels, cars, limos, or anything else to Sean. Sean gets nothing from Freedom Alliance except our gratitude for his personal generosity and for all he has done to help the troops and our organization. We have never had to ask Sean for anything, he always generously offers his help before we have a chance to ask him. But to be clear Sean pays for all his own transportation, hotels, and all related expenses for himself and his family and friends and staff, which over the years has added up to tens of thousands of dollars. He does not use any Freedom Alliance Funds or Concert funds in any way, period.

Sean Hannity has contributed $100,000 to the Wounded Warriors Foundation, over $200,000 to the Freedom Alliance, and over tens of thousands of dollars to other military charities and individuals. We only make this information public because of the outrageous slander against him. Sean has no management or operational involvement in, or control over, Freedom Alliance. He has been a selfless patriot in his efforts to raise funds for the education of children of armed services personnel.

The blog posting accuses Freedom Alliance of spending less than 20% of money raised on program activities. This is FALSE. Listed below are the amounts that Freedom Alliance spent for each of the past three years and the categories on which they were spent. The figures are taken from our Federal Form 990 which is filed with the Internal Revenue Service and posted on our web site and audited by an independent auditor using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. This financial record not only meets, but exceeds standards of program efficiency set by most charity evaluators.

In 2008, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $6,745,717. Of that:4.

79 percent ($5,317,970) was spent on Program Activities•
14 percent ($945,950) was spent on Fundraising•
7 percent ($481,797) was spent on Management •

In 2007, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,461,350. Of that:

81.5 percent ($6,084,474) was spent on Program Activities•
13.5 percent ($1,011,501) was spent on Fundraising•
5 percent ($365,375) was spent on Management•

In 2006, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,064,839. Of that:

77 percent ($5,434,538) was spent on Program Activities•
18.5 percent ($1,308,414) was spent on Fundraising•
4.5 percent ($321,887) was spent on Management•

The blog posting accuses Freedom Alliance of spending money intended for student scholarships on 5. other expenses. This is FALSE. Freedom Alliance has distributed $3.4 million in Scholarships and created a Scholarship Trust Fund with the additional money that we have raised for that program. That fund now contains $15 million, over $10 million of which has been raised by Hannity and the concerts. Our scholarship program is managed with the understanding that it will be needed for at least the next 20 years as there are children who will ultimately receive a scholarship who are now only a few years old. As indicated on our Federal Form 990, these funds are restricted and used only for future scholarships.

Our Scholarship Fund is one of four programs operated by Freedom Alliance. Supporters may donate to a specific program or for general operating purposes.

In 2008, Freedom Alliance received $2.1 million in scholarship donations. The same year, we awarded $802,250 in scholarships and applied $1.3 million to our Scholarship Trust Fund. The funds donated by Sean Hannity directly -- or through the proceeds of the Freedom Concerts -- and the support of thousands of Americans are used for these purposes:

Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund• : Providing scholarships to those whose parents have been killed or severely injured in their service to our Country. There is now over $15 million in the scholarship fund for the students as they come of age.

Support our Troops• : Many events each year are planned and executed by our staff to show appreciation and provide special opportunities for those actively serving in the military.

Leadership Academy• : A program for high school students in which they are encouraged and trained to serve their country.

These programs would not be possible without the support of Mr. Hannity and many others.

We are proud of our work and numerous accomplishments. We are grateful to our supporters whose voluntary contributions make it possible and we thank you. While it is discouraging to have our record misrepresented in such a malicious way, our work is important and, with your support, it will continue.

Respectfully,

Thomas P. Kilgannon, President
Oliver L. North, Founder & Honorary Chairman

Freedom Alliance v 22570 Markey Court, Suite 240 v Dulles, Virginia 20166 v (703) 444-7940

www .freedomalliance.org/images/pdf_and_largepics/freedom_alliance_response.pdf

"In fact, the Freedom Alliance “response” doesn’t answer any of the questions I raised and goes on to lie more. They don’t address why they gave a triple amputee only $200—and in fact there are many of these examples provided in their tax return addendum, but I only cited a few for brevity's sake."
DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL: HANNITY/NORTH SCAM TROOPS WITH “FREEDOM ALLIANCE” : Veterans Today

I gotta say I really respect Hannity's consistency and his camp's unwavering commitment to keep butt fucking troops with no vaseline.

On a side note, I accidently passed by Fox last night while they were discussing Healthcare and to keep it balanced they had "UNIVERSAL NIGHTMARE" in fairly large letters across the top of the screen. Looks like they've given up on trying to hide their agenda.

Last edited:
"In fact, the Freedom Alliance “response” doesn’t answer any of the questions I raised and goes on to lie more. They don’t address why they gave a triple amputee only $200—and in fact there are many of these examples provided in their tax return addendum, but I only cited a few for brevity's sake."

I gotta say I really respect Hannity's consistency and his camp's unwavering commitment to keep butt fucking troops with no vaseline.

On a side note, I accidently passed by Fox last night while they were discussing Healthcare and to keep it balanced they had "UNIVERSAL NIGHTMARE" in fairly large letters across the top of the screen. Looks like they've given up on trying to hide their agenda.

What? They didn't answer YOUR questions? That is outrageous! Absolutely outrageous! How very dare they ignore you? The swine!

You're a fucking dumbass.

What? They didn't answer YOUR questions? That is outrageous! Absolutely outrageous! How very dare they ignore you? The swine!

You're a fucking dumbass.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

them demons gots themselves a new target I see! Praise the Lord.

Forum List

Back