Sean Avery Gets Suspended Indefinitely from NHL for 'Sloppy Seconds' Comment

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I guess the NHL does hold themselves to higher standards. But is this going too far?

Avery was punished indefinitely by commissioner Gary Bettman for using a crude term about his former girlfriends now dating other hockey players. Bettman acted within hours, in time to keep Avery out of the Dallas Stars' game against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night.

Avery's inflammatory line came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta. Reporters were waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he'd made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla when Avery walked over to the group and asked if there was a camera present. When told there was, he said, "I'm just going to say one thing."

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," the Ontario native said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight." He then walked out of the locker room.

Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert of the television show "24" and the movie "Old School," is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf; she had been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens. Avery also dated Rachel Hunter, the former Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover model and actress who is now the girlfriend of Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll.
ESPN - Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery suspended indefinitely

Absolutely ridiculous. Hope he appeals and has them shove it down their throat.

It is unbelievable that he received an indefinate suspension for that. Something else is going on.

Absolutely ridiculous. Hope he appeals and has them shove it down their throat.

It is unbelievable that he received an indefinate suspension for that. Something else is going on.

Do you think it's something personal? Avery is not very mild-mannered. He did embarrass the league. There will be a hearing and I think he will be brought back.

What is it with hockey players? They love that arm candy, don't they.

Do you think it's something personal? Avery is not very mild-mannered. He did embarrass the league. There will be a hearing and I think he will be brought back.

What is it with hockey players? They love that arm candy, don't they.

It's not just hockey players it's professional athletes in general. They attract beautiful and obviously famous women.

The guy sounds like he's in freakin high school with that whole "sloppy seconds" comment.

Perhaps if Avery weren't seemingly such a fucking tool these women wouldn't have become his "ex's" and had reason to move on to what probably turned out to be much more mature and fulfilling relationships.

I do agree though that an indefinte suspension is a wee bit over dramatic over what amounts to a childish rant.

The guy is a dickhead, he has been on multiple teams and constantly says stupid things....the NHL was looking for anything to nab him on...they go thim on this regardless of how stupid it is.

Besides

$elisha-cuthbert-3.jpg

Is hardly sloppy seconds....she is amazing

I guess the NHL does hold themselves to higher standards. But is this going too far?

Avery was punished indefinitely by commissioner Gary Bettman for using a crude term about his former girlfriends now dating other hockey players. Bettman acted within hours, in time to keep Avery out of the Dallas Stars' game against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night.

Avery's inflammatory line came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta. Reporters were waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he'd made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla when Avery walked over to the group and asked if there was a camera present. When told there was, he said, "I'm just going to say one thing."

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," the Ontario native said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight." He then walked out of the locker room.

I don't know shit about hockey. But, it sounds like He was on the job at the time, and as such he was a representative of the NHL.

If it was an offhand comment made to some friends on their own time at a bar, it might be a different story.

In my professional capacity, if I said we he had said in front of a State commission, or to some reporters, I would be out of a job in five minutes.

I think you can pretty much say anything you want on your private time. But, if you go over the line when you are in the capacity of representing your employer, most of us can expect consequences I imagine.

It's not just hockey players it's professional athletes in general. They attract beautiful and obviously famous women.

The guy sounds like he's in freakin high school with that whole "sloppy seconds" comment.

Perhaps if Avery weren't seemingly such a fucking tool these women wouldn't have become his "ex's" and had reason to move on to what probably turned out to be much more mature and fulfilling relationships.

I do agree though that an indefinte suspension is a wee bit over dramatic over what amounts to a childish rant.

Obviously, she wasn't interested in his juvenile rants either. Did you see the stupid grin on his face after he made the comment. Like, yeah, I got those guys good. What an idiot! Boy the professional sports players are living up to their image of dumb jocks.

I don't know shit about hockey. But, it sounds like He was on the job at the time, and as such he was a representative of the NHL.

If it was an offhand comment made to some friends on their own time at a bar, it might be a different story.

In my professional capacity, if I said we he had said in front of a State commission, or to some reporters, I would be out of a job in five minutes.

I think you can pretty much say anything you want on your private time. But, if you go over the line when you are in the capacity of representing your employer, most of us can expect consequences I imagine.

from what I could tell, he sought out the reporters with the camera too. he probably said it to taunt the player who is currently dating one of his ex girlfriends.

and yes, Andrew, Elisha is a beautiful girl. I think he's just feeling sorry for himself cuz she moved on and now he's left spakin it to her pictures :lol:

from what I could tell, he sought out the reporters with the camera too. he probably said it to taunt the player who is currently dating one of his ex girlfriends.

and yes, Andrew, Elisha is a beautiful girl. I think he's just feeling sorry for himself cuz she moved on and now he's left spakin it to her pictures :lol:

:lol:

This dude sounds like a real pig.

is this a bad time to point out that mccain called his wife a **** in public? why hold a hockey player to such high standards?

McCain's employer is the people of Arizona. They're the only ones that can fire him. I'm not sure the **** comment was ever formally printed in a newspaper, yet alone confirmed.

The NHL is this pig's employer. Who cares if they fired him? I'd be fired from my job, for making that statement in public in my professional capacity.

I know what you're saying though. Bush kills hundreds of thousands, Alan Greenspan drives the economy over the cliff, and none of these fools are ever held accountable.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I have NO idea about him, his past or the woman he was talking about, but it looks like he went out of his way to make that comment publicly as an NHL player. Somewhere in the fine print of his contract they must have the legal right to hold him accountable.

New Topics

Forum List

Back