Seals in the bay!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
I have never seen any seals up here, till this weekend! spotted a couple of them....!!! Cute as a button!

yes, that dot on a rock is a seal!

P5244131.JPG

P5244140.JPG

posing...looking at me snapping the pics

P5244125.JPG

P5244129.JPG

P5244130.JPG

P5244177.JPG

P5234006.JPG

P5234013.JPG

P5234018.JPG

Cute! What a chubbly bubbly!

My sister keeps her boat at the Sausalito Marina which has a big sea lion population. They are great fun to watch.

Cute! What a chubbly bubbly!

My sister keeps her boat at the Sausalito Marina which has a big sea lion population. They are great fun to watch.

i am clueless on these creatures....were my pics of seals or sea lions? are they the same?

I can't tell from the pics. Sea lions have ear flaps and longer flippers - seals have ear holes and shorter flippers. At least, that's the general distinction as I understand it.

I can't tell from the pics. Sea lions have ear flaps and longer flippers - seals have ear holes and shorter flippers. At least, that's the general distinction as I understand it.

close.

allow me to go poke about and bring something back that will clear it up.

little chores like that help me pretend i didn't waste almost $50K for a marine biology degree that never yielded a job in the field.

are these guys tame enough to play with? a handful of mackerel does wonders for making friends with seals and sea lions.

never had a chance to swim with seals --- manatees and porpoises only.

Well, I did not want to get in to this....but it was a baby seal/lion?, and he/she lost her mother.....the pics of it swimming was the day before in a spot at the park where the tide comes in the river, at about 25 knots or more.....a very strong current....this baby seal kept circling and raising its head and screaming....I saw a very big seal circling in the channel looking for it....but they NEVER connected....that's why we went back to the same park the following day....cuz little ole me was worried about this yearling/young seal.....and we found it laying on that rock sunbathing, still hollering for it's mom, I suppose....

Very sad.

Well, I did not want to get in to this....but it was a baby seal, and he/she lost her mother.....the pics of it swimming was the day before in a spot at the park where the tide comes in the river, at about 25 knots or more.....a very strong current....this baby seal kept circling and raising its head and screaming....I saw a very big seal circling in the channel looking for it....but they NEVER connected....that's why we went back to the same park the following day....cuz little ole me was worried about this yearling/young seal.....and we found it laying on that rock sunbathing, still hollering for it's mom, I suppose....

Very sad.

Cute little devils, aren't they? I think they like to hang around Sandy Point on the Penobscot bay.

That's where the river stops and the bay starts and I guess there's good fishing there or something.

Anway...if you believe that pup is motherless, you may want to call these people

Center for Wildlife - Animal Rehabilitation and Wildlife Rescue in Southern Maine and New Hampshire

this was Fort Point in Stockton Ed....Sandy point was just up the road about 4- 5 miles....we actually stopped at Sandy point first, but it was too opened and not enough trees for the park atmosphere so we got back in the car and drove a little farther down to fort point, where there are lots of trees and a very cute lighthouse.

As a crow flies, sandy point and fort point are about a mile apart.

We are going back today, if it is still there I will call wildlife rescue.

Well, I did not want to get in to this....but it was a baby seal/lion?, and he/she lost her mother.....the pics of it swimming was the day before in a spot at the park where the tide comes in the river, at about 25 knots or more.....a very strong current....this baby seal kept circling and raising its head and screaming....I saw a very big seal circling in the channel looking for it....but they NEVER connected....that's why we went back to the same park the following day....cuz little ole me was worried about this yearling/young seal.....and we found it laying on that rock sunbathing, still hollering for it's mom, I suppose....

Very sad.

maybe, maybe not. it could well be that you saw a freshly weaned pup that wasn't in any serious distress beyond separation anxiety.

when the animal's health is actually endangered, you will see the same signs you recognize in any domestic animal. when the sitch is like that you should call the local fish and game guys.

New Topics

Forum List

Back