May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Great article:

Subscription, so here:

(ESPN-Insider)

Seattle is closer to Indy than we think

By Jeremy Green
ESPN Insider

Every once in a while, a week comes along in the NFL that we circle on our calendar. That week was supposed to be Christmas weekend. No, not because Santa Claus is coming to town, but because this was the week the Indianapolis Colts were going to play the Seattle Seahawks. This was supposed to be the week we got to find out who is the supreme team in the NFL: the AFC's Colts or the NFC's Seahawks?

However, San Diego ruined the dream matchup when it went into Indianapolis last week and basically whipped the Colts. Now we are only left to wonder. Sure, the game is still going to be played. Seattle will play its starters throughout the game, because it is still trying to sew up home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Colts, on the other hand, have locked up home field, so their superstar players likely will make only cameo appearances.

As I sit here, though, I still can't get out of my head the game that was supposed to be. What happened to Indy last week? Was that a fluke or a sign of things to come? Why does Seattle not get any respect? The Seahawks have rattled off 10 straight wins, but all you ever hear about is how nobody is afraid to play Seattle.

Even with the Colts' loss last week, nobody was ready to declare Seattle the new team to beat in the NFL. People thought I had lost my mind when I brought it up. I mean, hey, these teams are only separated by one game.

So I pondered it, and the more I looked at them, the more I realized these teams are almost carbon copies.

First let's start with the offenses. Seattle is ranked first in total offense (381.3 yards per game), Indianapolis fourth (371). Seattle is ranked third in rushing yards per game (156.1), and Indianapolis is 12th (117.8). Coincidentally, the rankings flip in pass offense, with Indianapolis ranked third (253.2) and Seattle 12th (225.1). Indianapolis is ranked first in first downs and points per game, while Seattle ranks second in the same categories.

Indianapolis has Peyton Manning, the best quarterback in the AFC. Seattle has Matt Hasselbeck, the best QB in the NFC. Both are smart, accurate and excellent leaders in their respective systems.

Seattle has this season's potential MVP in RB Shaun Alexander, and Indianapolis counters with Edgerrin James, who is the spark plug that makes the Colts' offense go.

No one talks much about each team's tight ends, but Seattle's Jerramy Stevens has 40 receptions, and Indianapolis' Dallas Clark has 34.

How about the offensive lines? Seattle has the best left side in the NFL in LT Walter Jones and LG Steve Hutchinson. Indianapolis counters with the most underrated offensive line in the NFL. Nobody ever talks about these linemen, but all they do is open up holes for "Edge" and protect the NFL's most prized arm in Manning.

As expected, the Colts have an edge at receiver, but is it as big as we think? Maybe not. Indianapolis' receivers are more talented, but Seattle's are not that far behind. Indianapolis has Marvin Harrison, a future Hall of Famer. Seattle has Joe Jurevicius, far and away the best free-agent signing of the offseason. Indianapolis has Reggie Wayne, while Seattle has a healthy Darrell Jackson back. Seattle also has Bobby Engram, who has 61 receptions compared to the 36 of Colts No. 3 WR Brandon Stokley.

On the defensive side, the similarities continue. Indianapolis is ranked 10th vs. the run, while Seattle is seventh. Seattle is ranked 24th vs. the pass, while Indianapolis is 13th. Indianapolis ranks second in sacks, Seattle third. While the numbers aren't as close as the various offensive rankings, we know this: The key to having success vs. both of these defenses is protecting your quarterback and attacking their average defensive corners.

How about the middle linebackers? Indianapolis has Gary Brackett, who while undersized (5-foot-11, 235) has a way of always being around the football. Seattle has rookie Lofa Tatupu, also undersized at 6-0, 238 but nevertheless a candidate for defensive rookie of the year and the new leader of the Seahawks' front seven.

Maybe special teams will show us how much better the Colts are than the Seahawks. Or maybe not. While the Colts have a slight edge, it is not overwhelming. Indianapolis averages 20.2 yards per kick return and 5.9 per punt return. Seattle averages 22.3 yards per kick return and 5.5 yards per punt return. Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt is 20 of 21 on field-goal attempts, while Seahawks kicker Josh Brown is 17 of 23.

Continuing to examine the dream matchup, I looked at some intangibles. We hear a lot about how Seattle hasn't played anyone, but the Colts' schedule wasn't exactly top-notch either. The combined record of Indianapolis' opponents is 87-109, while Seattle's opponents were 78-118.

So why, exactly, are the Colts thought to be so much better than the Seahawks? Maybe they aren't. One team is 13-1, the other is 12-2. These teams are almost carbon copies of each other.

The difference is that one plays in the respected AFC and the other in the NFC. One plays in the "heart of America" and the other resides way over there on the West Coast and tends to get forgotten.

The fact is that these teams are very similar in almost every area. They have the same strengths and the same weaknesses. The game this week means nothing, but hopefully we will see the sequel in February and find out once and for all who really is the No. 1 team in the NFL.

One plays in the "heart of America" and the other resides way over there on the West Coast and tends to get forgotten.

To me, this is the absolute crux of the matter. In almost all pro and college sports coverage, if a team plays west of the Great Plains, they might as well not be in the same league. ESPN, FOX sports, SI, etc. are all guilty of this. The teams in the East and the South get great coverage, the teams in the West get ignored.

Ok Seattle is Good but they are not Indy.

QB: Indy big advantage.

RB: Tie

WR: Indy big advantage.

OL: Slight edge to Indy. Peyton never gets sacked and Edge has no FB but Alexander doesnt rush for 1500 and 20+ tds on his own.

DL: Indy

LB: Indy

DB: Indy

ST: Indy, Kicker, Returner, coverage, its all good.

Seattle owns the NFC this year, but theyd be probably 4th or 5th in the AFC.

QB: Indy big advantage.

Granted...but not big - See, Matt's just asked to do different things. Matt plays his role wonerfully. As individual players, sure...but rated on how they manage the system Hasslesnatch does an EXCELLENT job. AND Hasslebeck has a lower Interception Rate...2.1% compared to Peyton's 2.3% ;)

WR: Indy big advantage.
Not Big advantage - Indy has One guy who is head and shoulders above Seattle receivers - at the 2 and 3 Seattle compares favourably.

OL: Slight edge to Indy. Peyton never gets sacked and Edge has no FB but Alexander doesnt rush for 1500 and 20+ tds on his own.
No way. Seattle's OL is un-matched in the league. Walter Jones? Allowed a sack this year. First time since 2003. Sacks can also be the result of play calling...seems there's a 5-sack difference tween Indy and Seattle. In 'sacks' Indy has a slight edge.

DL: Indy

Not sure how you can vote against the league-leaders in sacks from DLinemen...

LB: Indy

Again, how? Seattles rookie-corps of LB's play much bigger than their stats. I'd say 'slight edge' to Indy based on Indy's more experienced group

Look at just the MLB position:

Player Team_____Ints/Scks/Tck/Solo
Gary Brackett IND 3/0/113/81.0/47
Lofa Tatupu SEA 3/4/98/80.0/63

QB: Hassleback will never win you a game on his own. Peyton can do that.

WR: Marvin and Wayne are 2 of the best combos in the league. Throw in Dallas Clark (A TE i know but in that Offense he's a WR alot too) and Stokely, you have 1 of the best all around receiving corps around.

Jurevicuous is having a monster year but he's a #2 or a #3 on any team that has an average running game. Engram is another Penn State guy and i love him but he's not even close to Reggie Wayne. Jackson is overrated imo. The TE's are non existent in that offense. They get the job done but they arent going to knock your socks off like the colts.

OL: Thats why i gave Indy a slight edge. Edge doesnt have a FB man. They run singleback sets 99% of the time for running plays and he gets 5-9 yards. He leads the league in carries for 5-9 yards and is 3rd in rushing with NO FB! That speaks volumes about your OL. Seattle's is definitely good though because they have the leading Rusher.

DL: Robert Mathis 11.5 sacks. Dwight Freeney, 10.5 sacks. Thats all you need to know right there. Nightmare scenario for tackles. You double freeney, Mathis will kill you. You let freeney go with single, he'll eat you up all day.

LB: It was just an edge. Not knocking Seattle's LB's. Indy's are better right now.

Seattle is good no doubt. But the same thing with the Eagles last year. They dominated the NFC. In the AFC the eagles would have been about 3rd or 4th.

insein said:
QB: Hassleback will never win you a game on his own. Peyton can do that.

...but he does that nearly every game. He does it by the way he manages the tools his offense has.

WR: Marvin and Wayne are 2 of the best combos in the league. Throw in Dallas Clark (A TE i know but in that Offense he's a WR alot too) and Stokely, you have 1 of the best all around receiving corps around.

Jurevicuous is having a monster year but he's a #2 or a #3 on any team that has an average running game. Engram is another Penn State guy and i love him but he's not even close to Reggie Wayne. Jackson is overrated imo. The TE's are non existent in that offense. They get the job done but they arent going to knock your socks off like the colts.

First off, TE are NON existant?? Wha??

Jerramy Stevens. 515 yards, 12.9 yards per catch, 4TDs
Dallas Clark: 445 yards, 13.1 yards per catch, 4TDs

Now, on to receivers...

Ours can't compare in stats because our starting two missed so many games. But look at how they get open. Wayne is NO better than Jackson - probably not as good. It's hard to say how good Jackson could be if he had Manning throwing to him. ;) Bobby Engram MUST lead the league in 'Go-To-Guy-On-Thrid-Down', if such a stat existed. He's clutch. Jurevicuous IS our #3...and he's proably the best #3 in the league this year - of course helped by him starting several games.

OL: Thats why i gave Indy a slight edge. Edge doesnt have a FB man. They run singleback sets 99% of the time for running plays and he gets 5-9 yards. He leads the league in carries for 5-9 yards and is 3rd in rushing with NO FB! That speaks volumes about your OL. Seattle's is definitely good though because they have the leading Rusher.

They aren't good because they have the leading rusher, they have the leading rusher because they are good. ;)

DL: Robert Mathis 11.5 sacks. Dwight Freeney, 10.5 sacks. Thats all you need to know right there. Nightmare scenario for tackles. You double freeney, Mathis will kill you. You let freeney go with single, he'll eat you up all day.

If Freeney doesn't know who Walter Jones is, he will Tomorrow...Freeney won't be double-teamed. Walter Jones is THAT good. Mathis? He'll be handled by Locklear and Mack Strong if need be.

Seattle is good no doubt. But the same thing with the Eagles last year. They dominated the NFC. In the AFC the eagles would have been about 3rd or 4th.

We'll see, I suppose.... :) I detect a little bit of what Jeff quoted, in your post brother...East Coast bias? maybe? :D

Indy's in the middle of the country. There's no east coast bias here. I happen to think San Diego is better than Seattle. If i had to rank the teams myself heres my top 10.

1. Indy
2. Denver
3. San Diego
4. Cincinnati
5. Seattle
6. New England
7. Pittsburgh
8. Jacksonville
9. NY Giants
10. Carolina/Tampa (either or here)

dmp said:
;)

I think you don't see enough Seahawks... :)

If you did, you might be a believer.

:)

I saw them roll my depleted Eagles. Other than that i saw them barely squeak by the cowboys and giants and lose to the skins. All teams that arent that good IMO. That eagle team they played was a shell of its former self.

insein said:
I saw them roll my depleted Eagles. Other than that i saw them barely squeak by the cowboys and giants and lose to the skins. All teams that arent that good IMO. That eagle team they played was a shell of its former self.

Who have the colts beaten? It's not like the Colts have had a hard schedule. ;)

We've beaten solid teams: Cowboys, Giants, Falcons, and we beat St Louis, IN St Louis, back when the Rams were a much better football team.

Indy has beaten the Patriots, Bengals, and Steelers, sure, but the Colts 'squeaked' by the Browns by 7...and played 'formitable' teams like the titans, ravens, and houston twice.

What are they going to do? Titans and Texans are in their Div. We dont hold Seattle back for playing SF and Ari twice and barely beating SF. Hell that whole div is probably the worst in football this year aside from the Seahawks. None of them will get over 6 wins. You can only play whose on your schedule. Colts have rolled teams. they had a tough one against Clev but they won.

I just dont think Sea stands a chance against the colts in the Super Bowl. This weekend doesnt really matter. Seattle needs to win to get Homefield and Colts need nothing. Colts won't show anything to a potential Super Bowl opponent. Throw on top of that the whole Dungy's son thing and i see Seattle winning this game.

If it comes down to those two teams, there is no way Hassleback will be able to keep up with Peyton. No chance. Seattle's only hope is that they get the kickoff and chew up a huge amount of clock on the first drive using Alexander, and score. If they don't get the lead after the first, maybe second drive, they won't win.

The ClayTaurus said:
If it comes down to those two teams, there is no way Hassleback will be able to keep up with Peyton. No chance. Seattle's only hope is that they get the kickoff and chew up a huge amount of clock on the first drive using Alexander, and score. If they don't get the lead after the first, maybe second drive, they won't win.

Today?

Or if the teams met in the SB? (which is VERY unlikely).

insein said:
What are they going to do? Titans and Texans are in their Div. We dont hold Seattle back for playing SF and Ari twice and barely beating SF. Hell that whole div is probably the worst in football this year aside from the Seahawks. None of them will get over 6 wins. You can only play whose on your schedule. Colts have rolled teams. they had a tough one against Clev but they won.

I just dont think Sea stands a chance against the colts in the Super Bowl. This weekend doesnt really matter. Seattle needs to win to get Homefield and Colts need nothing. Colts won't show anything to a potential Super Bowl opponent. Throw on top of that the whole Dungy's son thing and i see Seattle winning this game.

But you were insein-u-ating Seattle 'hasn't played anybody good'. I'm saying, throw out that 49er's game, and Indy's Cleveland game, and both teams have played pretty close to the quality of opponants.

dmp said:
But you were insein-u-ating Seattle 'hasn't played anybody good'. I'm saying, throw out that 49er's game, and Indy's Cleveland game, and both teams have played pretty close to the quality of opponants.

No i wasnt. I merely said in the games ive seen cleveland play over here in the Far East, they played poorly against what i consider medicore teams in NYG, Dal and Wash. They destroyed an Eagles team that is playing backups and 3rd stringers. Other than that, they havent impressed.

insein said:
No i wasnt. I merely said in the games ive seen cleveland play over here in the Far East, they played poorly against what i consider medicore teams in NYG, Dal and Wash. They destroyed an Eagles team that is playing backups and 3rd stringers. Other than that, they havent impressed.

Right - and the Colts haven't beaten any 'really' impressive teams either. ;)

:D

New Topics

Forum List

Back