Seahawks - Colts; carbon copies...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dmp, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Great article:

Subscription, so here:

(ESPN-Insider)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    To me, this is the absolute crux of the matter. In almost all pro and college sports coverage, if a team plays west of the Great Plains, they might as well not be in the same league. ESPN, FOX sports, SI, etc. are all guilty of this. The teams in the East and the South get great coverage, the teams in the West get ignored.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Ok Seattle is Good but they are not Indy.

QB: Indy big advantage.

RB: Tie

WR: Indy big advantage.

OL: Slight edge to Indy. Peyton never gets sacked and Edge has no FB but Alexander doesnt rush for 1500 and 20+ tds on his own.

DL: Indy

LB: Indy

DB: Indy

ST: Indy, Kicker, Returner, coverage, its all good.

Seattle owns the NFC this year, but theyd be probably 4th or 5th in the AFC.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    QB: Indy big advantage.

Granted...but not big - See, Matt's just asked to do different things. Matt plays his role wonerfully. As individual players, sure...but rated on how they manage the system Hasslesnatch does an EXCELLENT job. AND Hasslebeck has a lower Interception Rate...2.1% compared to Peyton's 2.3% ;)

WR: Indy big advantage.
    Not Big advantage - Indy has One guy who is head and shoulders above Seattle receivers - at the 2 and 3 Seattle compares favourably.

OL: Slight edge to Indy. Peyton never gets sacked and Edge has no FB but Alexander doesnt rush for 1500 and 20+ tds on his own.
    No way. Seattle's OL is un-matched in the league. Walter Jones? Allowed a sack this year. First time since 2003. Sacks can also be the result of play calling...seems there's a 5-sack difference tween Indy and Seattle. In 'sacks' Indy has a slight edge.

DL: Indy

Not sure how you can vote against the league-leaders in sacks from DLinemen...

LB: Indy

Again, how? Seattles rookie-corps of LB's play much bigger than their stats. I'd say 'slight edge' to Indy based on Indy's more experienced group

Look at just the MLB position:

Player Team_____Ints/Scks/Tck/Solo
    Gary Brackett IND 3/0/113/81.0/47
    Lofa Tatupu SEA 3/4/98/80.0/63

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    QB: Hassleback will never win you a game on his own. Peyton can do that.

WR: Marvin and Wayne are 2 of the best combos in the league. Throw in Dallas Clark (A TE i know but in that Offense he's a WR alot too) and Stokely, you have 1 of the best all around receiving corps around.

Jurevicuous is having a monster year but he's a #2 or a #3 on any team that has an average running game. Engram is another Penn State guy and i love him but he's not even close to Reggie Wayne. Jackson is overrated imo. The TE's are non existent in that offense. They get the job done but they arent going to knock your socks off like the colts.

OL: Thats why i gave Indy a slight edge. Edge doesnt have a FB man. They run singleback sets 99% of the time for running plays and he gets 5-9 yards. He leads the league in carries for 5-9 yards and is 3rd in rushing with NO FB! That speaks volumes about your OL. Seattle's is definitely good though because they have the leading Rusher.

DL: Robert Mathis 11.5 sacks. Dwight Freeney, 10.5 sacks. Thats all you need to know right there. Nightmare scenario for tackles. You double freeney, Mathis will kill you. You let freeney go with single, he'll eat you up all day.

LB: It was just an edge. Not knocking Seattle's LB's. Indy's are better right now.

Seattle is good no doubt. But the same thing with the Eagles last year. They dominated the NFC. In the AFC the eagles would have been about 3rd or 4th.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    ...but he does that nearly every game. He does it by the way he manages the tools his offense has.

First off, TE are NON existant?? Wha??

Jerramy Stevens. 515 yards, 12.9 yards per catch, 4TDs
    Dallas Clark: 445 yards, 13.1 yards per catch, 4TDs

Now, on to receivers...

Ours can't compare in stats because our starting two missed so many games. But look at how they get open. Wayne is NO better than Jackson - probably not as good. It's hard to say how good Jackson could be if he had Manning throwing to him. ;) Bobby Engram MUST lead the league in 'Go-To-Guy-On-Thrid-Down', if such a stat existed. He's clutch. Jurevicuous IS our #3...and he's proably the best #3 in the league this year - of course helped by him starting several games.

They aren't good because they have the leading rusher, they have the leading rusher because they are good. ;)

If Freeney doesn't know who Walter Jones is, he will Tomorrow...Freeney won't be double-teamed. Walter Jones is THAT good. Mathis? He'll be handled by Locklear and Mack Strong if need be.

We'll see, I suppose.... :) I detect a little bit of what Jeff quoted, in your post brother...East Coast bias? maybe? :D

7. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Indy's in the middle of the country. There's no east coast bias here. I happen to think San Diego is better than Seattle. If i had to rank the teams myself heres my top 10.

1. Indy
    2. Denver
    3. San Diego
    4. Cincinnati
    5. Seattle
    6. New England
    7. Pittsburgh
    8. Jacksonville
    9. NY Giants
    10. Carolina/Tampa (either or here)

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

;)

I think you don't see enough Seahawks... :)

If you did, you might be a believer.

:)

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

I saw them roll my depleted Eagles. Other than that i saw them barely squeak by the cowboys and giants and lose to the skins. All teams that arent that good IMO. That eagle team they played was a shell of its former self.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Who have the colts beaten? It's not like the Colts have had a hard schedule. ;)

:)

We've beaten solid teams: Cowboys, Giants, Falcons, and we beat St Louis, IN St Louis, back when the Rams were a much better football team.

Indy has beaten the Patriots, Bengals, and Steelers, sure, but the Colts 'squeaked' by the Browns by 7...and played 'formitable' teams like the titans, ravens, and houston twice.