Sea rises, island disappears

Sorry I'm late to the party. My first thought was the island compacted and sunk into the bay. It is the best possible anwer to the question. I suppose earthquake activity may have lowered the bay in at area as well. To suggest it is a sea level rise is foolish. When you add water to one side of the glass what happens? You just have more water on one side? lol

That makes no sense. If you put the glass upright again, it spills over the top (just like what happened to the island). If you have a glass 3/4 full of water and add five or six icecubes, eventually it will also spill over the top. If you only add one or two, it will equalize but there will still be more water than you started with.

Okay, I expected only naysayers to jump in. Don't worry, be happy.

Of course that was just one little old island nobody lived on. But it was a tad more troubling last year when the governments of Italy and Switzerland had to hold an emergency meeting because the border between the two countries got moved by Mother Nature. Switzerland has expanded its border at Italy's expense because of melting glacial ice in the Alps.

There's all sorts of sources for that story (also old), so I'll let you choose your own.
Couldn't be due to land sinking in the Venice area. Noooooooooo. We couldn't peddle in fear if that were the case.

Try expanding your mind - not with drugs, of course - just with critical thought.

Sorry I'm late to the party. My first thought was the island compacted and sunk into the bay. It is the best possible anwer to the question. I suppose earthquake activity may have lowered the bay in at area as well. To suggest it is a sea level rise is foolish. When you add water to one side of the glass what happens? You just have more water on one side? lol

That makes no sense. If you put the glass upright again, it spills over the top (just like what happened to the island). If you have a glass 3/4 full of water and add five or six icecubes, eventually it will also spill over the top. If you only add one or two, it will equalize but there will still be more water than you started with.

I'm going to assume you are serious. I never mentioned ice cubes or moving the glass. I simply added water to one side of the glass. Your last sentence is correct. It would raise the level of the entire glass. Substitute ocean for glass and there you go. Yet the island is the only place the level rose?

Of course that was just one little old island nobody lived on. But it was a tad more troubling last year when the governments of Italy and Switzerland had to hold an emergency meeting because the border between the two countries got moved by Mother Nature. Switzerland has expanded its border at Italy's expense because of melting glacial ice in the Alps.

There's all sorts of sources for that story (also old), so I'll let you choose your own.
Couldn't be due to land sinking in the Venice area. Noooooooooo. We couldn't peddle in fear if that were the case.

Try expanding your mind - not with drugs, of course - just with critical thought.
Since you're the one that seems to think the melting of the glacial icecaps bordering Switzerland and Italy are the result of the sinking of the City of Venice, then I'm very interested in seeing a better source for that intriguing conclusion when the reason Venice appears to be "sinking" is because it cannot hold back rising waters. The link you posted simply discusses that fact.

I'm going to assume you are serious. I never mentioned ice cubes or moving the glass. I simply added water to one side of the glass. Your last sentence is correct. It would raise the level of the entire glass. Substitute ocean for glass and there you go. Yet the island is the only place the level rose?

No. That region has been severely affected by climate change, rising waters wiping out eco food supplies, and in some cases entire towns.

Disputed isle in Bay of Bengal disappears into sea

Another nearby island, Lohachara, was submerged in 1996, forcing its inhabitants to move to the mainland, while almost half the land of Ghoramara island was underwater, he said. At least 10 other islands in the area were at risk as well, Hazra said.

"We will have ever larger numbers of people displaced from the Sunderbans as more island areas come under water," he said.

Bangladesh, a low-lying delta nation of 150 million people, is one of the countries worst-affected by global warming. Officials estimate 18 percent of Bangladesh's coastal area will be underwater and 20 million people will be displaced if sea levels rise 1 meter (3.3 feet) by 2050 as projected by some climate models.

Since you're the one that seems to think the melting of the glacial icecaps bordering Switzerland and Italy are the result of the sinking of the City of Venice, then I'm very interested in seeing a better source for that intriguing conclusion when the reason Venice appears to be "sinking" is because it cannot hold back rising waters. The link you posted simply discusses that fact.

Since there is little evidence of thinking on your part, I have no doubt that you have no idea what I am thinking. :thup:

Magpie continues to ignore Del's informative post and link. Wonder why?

Could Magpie be just a useless fucking troll, as I have always surmised?

No. That region has been severely affected by climate change, rising waters wiping out eco food supplies, and in some cases entire towns.

Disputed isle in Bay of Bengal disappears into sea

Another nearby island, Lohachara, was submerged in 1996, forcing its inhabitants to move to the mainland, while almost half the land of Ghoramara island was underwater, he said. At least 10 other islands in the area were at risk as well, Hazra said.

"We will have ever larger numbers of people displaced from the Sunderbans as more island areas come under water," he said.

Bangladesh, a low-lying delta nation of 150 million people, is one of the countries worst-affected by global warming. Officials estimate 18 percent of Bangladesh's coastal area will be underwater and 20 million people will be displaced if sea levels rise 1 meter (3.3 feet) by 2050 as projected by some climate models.

Can't have you all worried about the sea swallowing up Bangladesh before bed:

"The full 6 year dataset from January 31, 2004 to January 31, 2010 of the ARGO global network of 3198 free drifting ocean floats with GPS is now available (data first became available from this program in 2004-see float locations here and shown below). Using the Pacific Marine Atlas program to plot data from the entire network shows a slight downtrend in Sea Height over the past six years (January 31, 2004 - January 31, 2010) using data from the entire network:

The graph from the Pacific Marine Atlas was digitized using the VistaMetrix program to extract data for purposes of determining a linear trendline. The trendline shows the rate of global sea level decrease to be -.1mm/year or-10mm/century."

Climate Change Fraud - Global Sea Level Decrease 2004-2010

Sleep well.

An uninhabited island in the Bay of Bengal, which had long been claimed by both India and
Bangladesh, completely disappeared when it was submerged by the rising sea level which ended the dispute over ownership.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...r-Disputed-island-disappears-under-rising-sea.

Oceans are not rising any faster then before the supposed Global Warming scare started. I wonder where all that supposed melting ice went?

Odd you should state that. Any scientific sources to back that up?

Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the current and future rise in sea level associated with global warming. For sea level changes in Earth's history, see Sea level - changes through geologic time.

Sea level measurements from 23 long tide gauge records in geologically stable environments show a rise of around 200 millimetres (8 inches) per century, or 2 mm/year.
Changes in sea level since the end of the last glacial episodeCurrent sea level rise has occurred at a mean rate of 1.8 mm per year for the past century,[1][2] and more recently, during the satellite era of sea level measurement, at rates estimated near 2.8 ± 0.4[3] to 3.1 ± 0.7[4] mm per year (1993-2003). Current sea level rise is due significantly to global warming,[5] which will increase sea level over the coming century and longer periods.[6][7] Increasing temperatures result in sea level rise by the thermal expansion of water and through the addition of water to the oceans from the melting of continental ice sheets. At the end of the 20th century, thermal expansion and melting of land ice contributed roughly equally to sea level rise, while thermal expansion is expected to contribute more than half of the rise in the upcoming century.[8] Values for predicted sea level rise over the course of this century typically range from 90 to 880 mm, with a central value of 480 mm. Models of glacial flow give a theoretical maximum value for sea level rise in the current century of 2 metres (and a "more plausible" one of 0.8 metres), based on limitations on how quickly ice can flow.

Actually there is a source to back it up. It seems only fititng to play hot-cold. Your warm, really warm.

No.

Sea Level Trends

Sea levels rising twice as fast as predicted - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Sea levels are predicted to rise twice as fast as was forecast by the United Nations only two years ago, threatening hundreds of millions of people with catastrophe, scientists said yesterday in a dramatic new warning about climate change. Rapidly melting ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica are likely to push up sea levels by a metre or more by 2100, swamping coastal cities and obliterating the living space of 600 million people who live in deltas, low-lying areas and small island states.

Low-lying countries with increasing populations, such as Bangladesh, Burma and Egypt, could see large parts of their surface areas vanish. Experts in Bangladesh estimate that a one-metre rise in sea levels would swamp 17 per cent of the country's land mass. Pacific islands such as Tuvalu, where 12,000 people live just a few feet above sea level, and the Maldives, would face complete obliteration.

Even Britain could face real challenges in lower-lying areas along the east coast, from Lincolnshire to the Thames estuary, with a much greater risk of catastrophic "storm surges" such as the great flood of 1953 that killed 307 people.

No.

Sea Level Trends

What do you mean no? That is exactly what happens under the conditions I stated.

Your getting colder by the way. Too far back.

Magpie continues to ignore Del's informative post and link. Wonder why?

Could Magpie be just a useless fucking troll, as I have always surmised?

Yes, yes it could. Bit of a whiner too.

Ah yes, it's always amusing when someone is accused of being a "troll" only because s/he spends some time presenting opposite opinions. Too bad you children can't come up with more accurate chacterizations, but that would mean learning to crawl out of your cribs and take in the entire room for a change. Seems all you can do is "whine" that yes, there are indeed tens of millions who think YOUR ideas are not always RIGHT.

Actually there is a source to back it up. It seems only fititng to play hot-cold. Your warm, really warm.

Except that your "source" is so convoluted only a lab scientist could understand it, or maybe Glenn Beck can do better with one of his little circle charts.

Forum List

Back