sea level projections

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
From the Arctic Ice to the mountain glaciers, the effects of the present global warming have exceeded even the projections of the people labeled as 'Alarmists'. Now we see the projections concerning sea level rise were also on the low side. And even the present projections, if you read the following excerpt, are based on a linear projection, while in reality, the real curve may be exponential.

Climate experts have updated their predictions saying that sea levels will rise an average of 3.2 millimeters (0.125 inches) per year.

That is up from the 2007 estimate of 2mm (0.078 inches) per year.

The new estimate would mean a sea level rise of about one meter by the end of the century, said Science Daily.

Study co-author Grant Foster of Tempo Analytics said that the new estimate was likely far more accurate and much worse for those living near coastlines.

"I would say that a meter of sea level rise by the end of the century is probably close to what you would find if you polled the people who know best," Foster told AFP.

"In low-lying areas where you have massive numbers of people living within a meter of sea level, like Bangladesh, it means that the land that sustains their lives disappears, and you have hundreds of millions of climate refugees."

The re-assessment was carried out by the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Tempo Analytics and Laboratoire d'Etudes en Géophysique et Océanographie Spatiales

More from GlobalPost: Sea level rise fastest on US east coast

Sea levels are rising 60% faster than predicted, says IPCC

From the Arctic Ice to the mountain glaciers, the effects of the present global warming have exceeded even the projections of the people labeled as 'Alarmists'. Now we see the projections concerning sea level rise were also on the low side. And even the present projections, if you read the following excerpt, are based on a linear projection, while in reality, the real curve may be exponential.

Climate experts have updated their predictions saying that sea levels will rise an average of 3.2 millimeters (0.125 inches) per year.

That is up from the 2007 estimate of 2mm (0.078 inches) per year.

The new estimate would mean a sea level rise of about one meter by the end of the century, said Science Daily.

Study co-author Grant Foster of Tempo Analytics said that the new estimate was likely far more accurate and much worse for those living near coastlines.

"I would say that a meter of sea level rise by the end of the century is probably close to what you would find if you polled the people who know best," Foster told AFP.

"In low-lying areas where you have massive numbers of people living within a meter of sea level, like Bangladesh, it means that the land that sustains their lives disappears, and you have hundreds of millions of climate refugees."

The re-assessment was carried out by the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Tempo Analytics and Laboratoire d'Etudes en Géophysique et Océanographie Spatiales

More from GlobalPost: Sea level rise fastest on US east coast

Sea levels are rising 60% faster than predicted, says IPCC

So in other words the predictors were wrong? Why should I take them seriously?

Oh, rats! And here I and some other investor friends were going to open a really classy vacation spa and surround it with a few world-class golf courses, 4-5 star hotels, condos, upper crust retail outlets, fine restaurants, etc. in Bangladesh.

Gotta get the mortgage fully paid off. In 50 years the grandkids will have Florida beachfront property just by waiting.

Regards from Rosie

Sea levels are rising. That can be easily measured. Whether or not they will CONTINUE to rise at the same rate is a matter of speculation. There are too many variables to be sure.

However, I think it ought to behoove us to at least begin planning what we might do with millions of refugees driven from the shore line by rising waters. Even if nothing happens, making preliminary plans would just be prudent, I think.

Pretending it won't happen because of political ideology is foolish.

Oh and the oceans are turning to acid too, so the rising, acidic oceans will surely eat our land!

https://sites.google.com/site/globalwarmingquestions/sealevel

C3: ? Are Oceans Rising

Tide Gauge Station Data Analysis: Global Sea Level Rise Not Expected To Exceed 7 Inches By 2100 AD

6a010536b58035970c0168eb8a78ef970c-800wi
6a010536b58035970c0168eb8a79ba970c-800wi

The sky is falling!

Again?

It fell yesterday, and nobody noticed.

It fell a year ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 2 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 5 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 10 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 20 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 40 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 100 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell 500 years ago, and nobody noticed.

It fell....well, I guess I have made my point...

The sky is falling!

Again?

The citizens of Pompeii ignored repeated warnings about Mt. Vesuvius too. Then...one day....

The sky is falling!

Again?

The citizens of Pompeii ignored repeated warnings about Mt. Vesuvius too. Then...one day....

So around 1900 years ago people hear a rumble and they were supposed to run? Did they have WOVO or USGS? Come on dude. They say this shit is different all the time. DO I need to reserve you a spot on doomsday preppers?

The sky is falling!

Again?

Like you're ignoring the Yellowstone caldera, right?

Is the ocean angry too? Can we say the angry, rising, acidic ocean will eat the coastline?

Forum List

Back