sea-food farming ?

Widdekind

Mar 26, 2012
10,000 years ago, human hunter-gatherers began harvesting wild grains; today, humans cultivate grains (i.e. agriculture).

by marine analogy, could human cultivate shellfish (e.g. clams, i.e. aquaculture) ?

perhaps near-shore mudflats could be leveled, graded, plowed, & seeded, or otherwise "nurtured", so as to expedite shellfish harvesting ?

LOL Already being done. Except now we have a problem with the increased acidity killing off the larvea of oysters, and, maybe, other shell fish that use aragonite for there first shells.

10,000 years ago, human hunter-gatherers began harvesting wild grains; today, humans cultivate grains (i.e. agriculture).

by marine analogy, could human cultivate shellfish (e.g. clams, i.e. aquaculture) ?

perhaps near-shore mudflats could be leveled, graded, plowed, & seeded, or otherwise "nurtured", so as to expedite shellfish harvesting ?

You honestly did not know this was already happening all over the world?

Seafood is cultivated on a large scale here in Ireland, has been for a long time. all types of shell fish are cultivated along with salmon/sea trout farms and seaweeds (dulse).

LOL Already being done. Except now we have a problem with the increased acidity killing off the larvea of oysters, and, maybe, other shell fish that use aragonite for there first shells.

Horseshit.

No, Pattycake, it is just that you are a dumb shit.

Northwest Oyster Die-offs Show Ocean Acidification Has Arrived by Elizabeth Grossman: Yale Environment 360

Standing on the shores of Netarts Bay in Oregon on a sunny fall morning, it’s hard to imagine that the fate of the oysters being raised here at the Whiskey Creek Shellfish Hatchery is being determined by what came out of smokestacks and tailpipes in the 1960s and ‘70s. But this rural coastal spot and the shellfish it has nurtured for centuries are a bellwether of one of the most palpable changes being caused by global carbon dioxide emissions — ocean acidification.

It was here, from 2006 to 2008, that oyster larvae began dying dramatically, with hatchery owners Mark Wiegardt and his wife, Sue Cudd, experiencing larvae losses of 70 to 80 percent. “Historically we’ve had larvae mortalities,” says Wiegardt, but those deaths were usually related to bacteria. After spending thousands of dollars to disinfect and filter out pathogens, the hatchery’s oyster larvae were still dying.

Finally, the couple enlisted the help of Burke Hales, a biogeochemist and ocean ecologist at Oregon State University. He soon homed in on the carbon chemistry of the water. “My wife sent a few samples in and Hales said someone had screwed up the samples because the [dissolved CO2 gas] level was so ridiculously high,” says Wiegardt, a fourth-generation oyster farmer. But the measurements were accurate. What the Whiskey Creek hatchery was experiencing was acidic seawater, caused by the ocean absorbing excessive amounts of CO2 from the air.

It is done, but the seafood isn't up to to par with natural.

It is done, but the seafood isn't up to to par with natural.

A friend of mine up the road turned his dad's land from tobacco to aqua farming over the last few years. He is doing well. If I'm not mistaken, he told me as of this year over half of all fish you see in the grocery store will be farmed fish. I have to admit, he does produce a good lot, and I enjoy eating them. From the looks of his operation, the care he takes, and the rating from the state agency, it all passes muster. I can't speak for the rest, but I sure hope it is the same.

Shrimp manufacturing brought to you by WalMart and all of the sheeple who buy it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay0cpdYkMtA]Farming Wastelands - Shrimp Farming - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back