Sea Fever and the Ocean's Colorful Creatures

MUSGROVE_ANDRE_MIDDLE_SEA_NOTE-770x1155.jpg

Know what is really cool to see? The wake of a large ship as it goes through the ocean at night and the lights are off. Why? The screw (propeller) churns up the water rather well, and it causes the bio luminescent plankton to glow.

Know what is really cool to see? The wake of a large ship as it goes through the ocean at night and the lights are off. Why? The screw (propeller) churns up the water rather well, and it causes the bio luminescent plankton to glow.
Never saw such a thing, ABikerSailor. It must be very awesome. :thup: My big bro was the sailor. I just fell in love with Robert Lewis Stevenson's poem. I think it would be fun to own a glass-bottomed boat and spend the winter

Ok, and I loved our former US sailor, Uncle Wimpy's 3 rooms of exotic fish stacked 4 high to the ceiling, covering 3 walls in lines of 5 or 6 tanks per line. It was like being in miniature magic land of colorful fish with irridescent bodies and neon stripes sometimes. The angels were the most beautiful shapes with their arced fins. On the other hand, he had a tank of seahorses and kept the male Siamese fighting fish in separate tanks so they wouldn't kill each other or strip each other's tails and fins off. He had more fish than the pet stores., and his fish rooms were always ship-shape. I loved him and aunt Mattie. :adoreheart:

Brazil has a problem. There's an oil leak off their coast they cannot locate, and it is chastising the turtle population, and wreaking havoc on creatures in the vicinity. Seems they could track it if they had a good man who understands travel via currents. Oddly, the stuff that is washing up is consistent with Venezuelan oil, and there are no reports of ships lost in the vicinity of that part of the world. It is apparently crude. Strange things happen in this world.

Here's one of their threatened sea turtles swimming off the coast of Arraial Do Cabo, Brazil
AAIEpWX.img

Oil Is Killing Brazil’s Turtles. No One Knows Where It’s From

Excerpts from the article that cites suspicious activity:
The nation’s environmental agency said the oil found on the beaches was not produced by Brazil, and that the country’s Navy and federal police are investigating the spill.

On Wednesday, Environment Minister Ricardo Salles said the oil likely originated from Venezuela, citing a report from state-controlled oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA about the characteristics of the crude.

Petrobras Chief Executive Officer Roberto Castello Branco said Tuesday that the spill could have come from an oil tanker that sank, an accident when loading oil from one tanker to another, or from a criminal act. President Jair Bolsonaro has said for days that the oil spill was probably criminal, without elaborating further.​

Who would do this to Brazil? :(

The benevolent beauty of reef life
with soothing music for relaxation:

Enjoy! :)

Best at full screen!​

Last edited:
I snorkelled in the Red Sea; and saw fish like these.

The most beautiful coral reef, stretching down to the coast of Africa.

red-sea-fish.jpg
Wow, Mindful. Just wow. & thanks.

To the west coast of Africa.

The Israelis had constructed an observatory actually in the sea itself, at Eilat.

So one was IN the Red Sea, looking out though windows at the marine life , as is.

Airdale = Naval aviation.
Surface Sailor = regular Navy
Bubblehead = submarine Navy

But, if you are a bubblehead, you believe there are 2 kinds of ships, subs and targets.

I can’t remember what the slang term for the SeaBees was.
I think SeaBees was a term used by upper classmen for entry level (E-1)
Seaman Recruits, although it well may have been the E-2 Seamen Apprentices. It's not clear to me if Recruits are in the general training course (which was about 6 weeks to 2 months when my brother went in in 1965) or if it referred to actual first-timers on a Naval vessel, Seamen Apprentices.

Traded letters frequently with my late older brother back in the 60s when he mentioned getting busted back to being a "Seabee" after he got into a fight with a fellow seaman. After that, he changed his ways and over time, became a Master Chief Petty Officer, plus another title I can't remember that his ship's captain bestowed upon him making him the highest non-commissioned officer on the Midway. I have no idea but I missed his letters home when he got so busy he worked 20 hour days frequently and trained mechanics to do what he could do--take apart and put back together a Phantom Jet in pitch black conditions, and ground a pilot whose plane was being repaired for as long as it took.

Seaman Recruits, although it well may have been the E-2 Seamen Apprentices. It's not clear to me if Recruits are in the general training course (which was about 6 weeks to 2 months when my brother went in in 1965) or if it referred to actual first-timers on a Naval vessel, Seamen Apprentices.

Seabee is a term used to refer to those in the Construction Battilion, which is one of the 4 different apprenticeship classifications. They are Seaman (working on surface ships), Airman (working with aircraft and maintenance on them), Fireman (working mainly in engineering rates), and Constructionman (working with the SeaBees).

Airman have blue stripes, Firemen have red stripes, Seaman have white stripes, and Constructionmen have green. That is how you tell what apprenticeship they have entered into, by the color of their stripes.

As far as E-1 through E-3? One stripe denotes an Seaman Recruit, two stripes denote a Seaman Apprentice, and 3 stripes mean they are a full fledged Seaman. In the other apprenticeships you would use Fireman, Airman and Constructionman instead of Seaman. Generally when referring to a person who is E-3 and below, you would use the terms "recruit", "apprentice" and "Seaman" or whatever apprenticeship their stripes say they are.

As far as referring to someone who is a newbie? If you are in the surface Navy, you generally refer to them as "boot". If you are in the aviation Navy, newbies can also be called "FNG's", which stands for Fucking New Guy.

Spent 20 years in the Navy as a Personnelman, and also worked at a MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) as Head Classifier for the last 2 years of my career, which means that I assigned people jobs based on availability and their qualifications.

Seabee is a term used to refer to those in the Construction Battilion, which is one of the 4 different apprenticeship classifications. They are Seaman (working on surface ships), Airman (working with aircraft and maintenance on them), Fireman (working mainly in engineering rates), and Constructionman (working with the SeaBees).

Airman have blue stripes, Firemen have red stripes, Seaman have white stripes, and Constructionmen have green. That is how you tell what apprenticeship they have entered into, by the color of their stripes.

As far as E-1 through E-3? One stripe denotes an Seaman Recruit, two stripes denote a Seaman Apprentice, and 3 stripes mean they are a full fledged Seaman. In the other apprenticeships you would use Fireman, Airman and Constructionman instead of Seaman. Generally when referring to a person who is E-3 and below, you would use the terms "recruit", "apprentice" and "Seaman" or whatever apprenticeship their stripes say they are.

As far as referring to someone who is a newbie? If you are in the surface Navy, you generally refer to them as "boot". If you are in the aviation Navy, newbies can also be called "FNG's", which stands for Fucking New Guy.

Spent 20 years in the Navy as a Personnelman, and also worked at a MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) as Head Classifier for the last 2 years of my career, which means that I assigned people jobs based on availability and their qualifications.
Thanks, BikerSailor. Guess big brother didn't tell me all he knew. Guess he was in the airman wing of the Navy since he took apart, repaired and maintained flying equipment for the pilots of the day. That song in a musical pretty much sums up why he might think better of telling me stuff:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back