Scuse me, I'm having trouble typing this cause I'm ROFLMAO!

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
By Melanie Hunter
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
January 27, 2006
Sheehan to Feinstein: Filibuster Alito, Or I'll Run Against You
(CNSNews.com) - Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan has threatened to run for Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) seat unless Feinstein filibusters Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito.

Sheehan, who was in Caracas, Venezuela Friday attending the World Social Forum, heard that several Democrats planned to filibuster Alito but that Feinstein, who is up for re-election in November, announced that she will vote against Alito but would not filibuster the nomination.

"I'm appalled that Diane Feinstein wouldn't recognize how dangerous Alito's nomination is to upholding the values of our constitution and restricting the usurpation of presidential powers, for which I've already paid the ultimate price," Sheehan said in a statement.

Sheehan became a national figure representing the anti-war movement after her son Casey was killed in Iraq and she stood vigil outside President Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch last summer demanding to speak face-to-face with Bush about her son's death.

Sheehan claimed Alito has "an extensive paper trail documenting the right-wing political agenda that he has actively advanced, not only as a high-ranking official in the Reagan Administration, but also as a judge."

She accused Alito of trying to restrict Congress' power and supporting "efforts to curtail privacy rights, including not only privacy from government surveillance and arbitrary arrest, but also other constitutional rights based on privacy, such as reproductive liberty for women."

Sheehan is scheduled to return from Venezuela on Monday and will travel to the nation's capital to take part in an alternative State of the Union address:clap1: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?Page=\Politics% 5Carchive\200601\POL20060127d.html :

Stephanie said:
She accused Alito of trying to restrict Congress' power and supporting "efforts to curtail privacy rights, including not only privacy from government surveillance and arbitrary arrest, but also other constitutional rights based on privacy, such as reproductive liberty for women."
If Sheehan wasn't so far off her rocker, she'd remember that it wasn't CONGRESS that implemented abortion-on-demand. Restricting the power elected representatives would only HELP that cause.

Jeesh. I'll never tire of libs being appalled and and demanding things. It's funny how ineffective they are! :tng:

rtwngAvngr said:
Jeesh. I'll never tire of libs being appalled and and demanding things. It's funny how ineffective they are! :tng:

Don't you love it when they turn on their own? It makes me think of that phrase:

"I don't care who wins, as long as it's a fight to the death." :laugh:

Hmmm....

I guess I'll have to threaten to move to California and run for that seat if Sheehan runs.

Bet she's scared now!

Abbey Normal said:
Don't you love it when they turn on their own? It makes me think of that phrase:

"I don't care who wins, as long as it's a fight to the death." :laugh:

Yes. It's grand. :banana:

Hey if they were battling it out between each other I might be able to get elected. Imagine a Carpet-Bagging Libertarian Senator of California....

:rock:

Abbey Normal said:
Don't you love it when they turn on their own? :

It just struck me how the phrase "turning on each other" has such a different meaning from "turning each other on". Isn't that weird? :dunno:

Links at site:

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/012960.php

January 27, 2006
Damned if they do

A few months ago, George Stephanopoulos interviewed Markos (of the Daily Kos) and me for a documentary he was putting together. When we got to the issue of the MSM's future, I suggested that its best hope might well be to re-establish credibility through objective, non-partisan news reporting that could serve as a core product around which all sorts of edgy bloggers and other opinion-mongers could revolve. After all, objectivity and non-partisanship is the one thing bloggers will always be hard-pressed to provide, and news gathering is the one service bloggers cannot provide now.

Stephanopoulus responded by turning to Kos and stating (I quote from memory) "but you guys won't let that happen." Kos modestly affirmed that he wouldn't. Stephanopoulos's response was both perceptive and revealing. Perceptive because left-wing bloggers certainly intend to pressure the MSM into, at a minimum, maintaining its current level of liberal bias. Tom Bevan at Real Clear Politics and Stephen Spruiell at NRO's Media Blog highlight this reality in discussing blogger attacks on the Washington Post, Chris Matthews, and Tim Russert.

Stephanopoulos's comment was revealing because of its assumption that leftist bloggers hold the power to constrain the MSM. Bevan explains why one could believe that Kos and his ilk have that power when he observes, "The mainstream press, which already leans to the left, can’t afford to lose its appeal to such a core constituency." But Bevan also cautions that "lurching further to the left will only alienate more readers and more viewers living between the coasts, significantly impeding the ability of large media outlets to appeal to a broad national audience."

To me, the downside of alienating the left seems to pale in comparision to the disadvantages of alienating a broader audience. This is particularly true for news networks, but will also be true for major newspapers which (as a result of the internet) increasingly will compete in a national market. What future is there in being a niche player in a minority political market attempting to out-snark the nastiest folks in the opinion-mongering trade? And what real risk would CBS News, for example, run if it alienated folks who, as a group, don't watch its newscasts anyway? The audience for the nightly MSM newscasts are the remnants of a generation that considered the news anchors the most trusted men in America. Why not try to earn that sort of trust from new generations of non-extremist Americans through objective, non-partisan reporting?

The real barrier to this strategy, I suspect, is not fear of Kos; it is the absence of a strong desire to be objective, and perhaps post-modern doubts about the concept of objectivity itself.
Posted by Paul at 10:02 PM

Hasn't Sheehan's 15 minutes ended already?

(I feel for the rest of her family for having to put up with her....maybe they can have a court order issued to get her chemicals "balanced.")

rtwngAvngr said:

I wonder if they do this all the time. Seriously, how many waiters do you think have spit, pisssed, dropped, and otherwise defiled this banshee's food for treating them the same way she does the rest of America?

Forum List

Back