Scrutinize the president, not Palin

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

Transparency advocates doubtlessly breathed a sigh of satisfaction that sunlight-disinfectant was being applied to a government figure. And people with any sense of political proportion were left with an additional thought: When is this journalistic scrutiny going to be applied to politicians who wield actual power?

For instance, one might nominate the president of the United States for such attention. On Saturday, June 4, in his weekly radio address, Barack Obama did what he has consistently done since taking the oath of office: fudged reality to make his policies sound better.

In a premature victory lap over his controversial bailout of Detroit automakers, the president made the highly dubious assertion that not taking over Chrysler and General Motors would have "put a million people out of work," a claim resting on the notion that "bankruptcy" equals "liquidation," which it does not.

He said, both presumptively and inaccurately, that "we're making sure America can out-build, out-innovate, and out-compete the rest of the world." And he gave the distinct -- and distinctly false -- impression that Chrysler has repaid every dime of what it owes American taxpayers, mostly by saying "Chrysler has repaid every dime and more of what it owes American taxpayers for their support during my presidency -- and it repaid that money six years ahead of schedule."

Glenn Kessler, who writes "The Fact Checker" blog for the Washington Post website, described Obama's address as "one of the most misleading collections of assertions we have seen in a short presidential speech. Virtually every claim by the president regarding the auto industry needs an asterisk."

A president misleading the public on one of his most crucial policies at a time when Americans are increasingly anxious about the economy sounds kind of newsworthy, no? Well, don't tell the editors of the New York Times -- they were too busy nailing down this important story:"Palin Says She Didn't Err on Paul Revere."

More:

Scrutinize the president, not Palin - CNN.com

Excellent piece!

Good article. This came from CNN?? I thought CNN was deep into Obamanomics ... etc. Nevertheless, we need more of this kind of stuff coming from all media sources.

Good article. This came from CNN?? I thought CNN was deep into Obamanomics ... etc. Nevertheless, we need more of this kind of stuff coming from all media sources.

Don't drink the conservative kool aid when it comes to their approved media choices. they want you to listen to only them, and get the truth as they see it.

mark welch, who wrote the article, is editor in chief of Reason Magazine a libertarian magazine.

don't be so surprised. cnn actually puts forth people with varying ideas...

unlike fox.

mark welch, who wrote the article, is editor in chief of Reason Magazine a libertarian magazine.

unlike fox.

So why is it that when I do watch Fox (which isn't that often), they always have a liberal on? Must be a figment of my imagination.

Really, Jillian, I know that 'talking points' are easy but you're smarter than this.

unlike fox.

Proof you don't watch Fox. Next?

In a premature victory lap…

A president misleading the public…

The problem for the right is they’re suffering from a boy who cried wolf syndrome – they’ve thrown so much crap against the wall the voters can’t tell what’s true and what’s contrived partisan hype.

While I do not share most of the views of Barack Obama, I think some people forget several facts on the auto industry bail-out:

1). The auto companies by their very own free will ran to the government for bail-out.

2). Though I do not support bail-out of companies when existing laws have already made provisions for their problems, the fact remains that without the bail-out, thousands would have been out of work (though probably just temporarily).

3). Because these companies where rescued with taxpayers monies, the government has every right to have them under tight reins until they have repaid taxpayers monies.

I guess the auto companies and several people whining on this situation forget it is just not smart to run to the government for about anything, seeing you become more a ward and give up your right to your individuality. If you doubt me, then just talk to welfare recipients!

While I do not share most of the views of Barack Obama, I think some people forget several facts on the auto industry bail-out:

1). The auto companies by their very own free will ran to the government for bail-out.

2). Though I do not support bail-out of companies when existing laws have already made provisions for their problems, the fact remains that without the bail-out, thousands would have been out of work (though probably just temporarily).

3). Because these companies where rescued with taxpayers monies, the government has every right to have them under tight reins until they have repaid taxpayers monies.

I guess the auto companies and several people whining on this situation forget it is just not smart to run to the government for about anything, seeing you become more a ward and give up your right to your individuality. If you doubt me, then just talk to welfare recipients!

So what's that got to do with Obama lying about Chrysler paying everything back when they didnt?

unlike fox.

Not when it matters, they don't. Back during the election, friend of mine... a researcher for CNN... got fired for researching Obama's background. :eek:

Caroljo, you supplied quotes and I pointed out facts. Now, if you know the president made an inaccurate statement about a company repaying, then take it up with the president. I think Obama has a complaint site and is also on Facebook. Meet him in either of these sites. Good-luck!

CaféAuLait;3743843 said:

Transparency advocates doubtlessly breathed a sigh of satisfaction that sunlight-disinfectant was being applied to a government figure. And people with any sense of political proportion were left with an additional thought: When is this journalistic scrutiny going to be applied to politicians who wield actual power?

For instance, one might nominate the president of the United States for such attention. On Saturday, June 4, in his weekly radio address, Barack Obama did what he has consistently done since taking the oath of office: fudged reality to make his policies sound better.

In a premature victory lap over his controversial bailout of Detroit automakers, the president made the highly dubious assertion that not taking over Chrysler and General Motors would have "put a million people out of work," a claim resting on the notion that "bankruptcy" equals "liquidation," which it does not.

He said, both presumptively and inaccurately, that "we're making sure America can out-build, out-innovate, and out-compete the rest of the world." And he gave the distinct -- and distinctly false -- impression that Chrysler has repaid every dime of what it owes American taxpayers, mostly by saying "Chrysler has repaid every dime and more of what it owes American taxpayers for their support during my presidency -- and it repaid that money six years ahead of schedule."

Glenn Kessler, who writes "The Fact Checker" blog for the Washington Post website, described Obama's address as "one of the most misleading collections of assertions we have seen in a short presidential speech. Virtually every claim by the president regarding the auto industry needs an asterisk."

A president misleading the public on one of his most crucial policies at a time when Americans are increasingly anxious about the economy sounds kind of newsworthy, no? Well, don't tell the editors of the New York Times -- they were too busy nailing down this important story:"Palin Says She Didn't Err on Paul Revere."

More:

Excellent piece!

CNN should wipe the egg off of their face. They have more Palin nonsense on CNN.com than any other news source.

They virtually have a daily Palin thread.

CaféAuLait;3743843 said:

More:

Excellent piece!

CNN should wipe the egg off of their face. They have more Palin nonsense on CNN.com than any other news source.

They virtually have a daily Palin thread.

You have CNN confused with MSNBC.

Caroljo, you supplied quotes and I pointed out facts. Now, if you know the president made an inaccurate statement about a company repaying, then take it up with the president. I think Obama has a complaint site and is also on Facebook. Meet him in either of these sites. Good-luck!

Naw..that's ok. It wouldn't do any good to "meet him" on those sites, there's so many inaccuracy's in everything he says I'd be there all day, and i do have a job and have to work! :) Obama actually has a complaint site???? Wow, bet it takes forever for that page to load!!! Lol!

Naw..that's ok. It wouldn't do any good to "meet him" on those sites, there's so many inaccuracy's in everything he says I'd be there all day, and i do have a job and have to work! :) Obama actually has a complaint site???? Wow, bet it takes forever for that page to load!!! Lol!

I'm still laughing that LAfrique seems to think we can 'meet him' on Facebook. :lol: I'm quietly confident that the President never checks his Facebook page. Some low level staffer does.

unlike fox.

It's funny you say that, because if you have ever really watched fox news you would see that they are all the time putting lefties on there, Bob Beckel is an every night character on the Hannity show, and Beck has had countless liberals on his program. Fox has been more fair at sharing the opposing view then CNN or BSNBC ever has. You dont see the leftwing media inviting any conservative that can hold his own in a debate, because the conservative would embarrass them on their own show.
Fox does not bring lefties on the show to embarrass them, the left wing media however only picks weaker ill equipped conservatives to bring onto their shows, that or someone like Megan Mcain who has no clue what the hell she is talking about, remember that laugh? I bet it would have been far different had they invited Andrew Wilkow instead.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back