Screw Business give Hollywood a tax break

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Raiders of the Lost Taxpayer - WSJ.com

So let's see: Democrats object to cutting the U.S. 35% corporate tax rate -- which is higher than in all of Europe, undermines economic growth and discourages job creation -- for all companies on grounds that it favors the rich and powerful. But Democrats will carve out tax loopholes for businesses they like and that write them campaign checks.

There's also the little matter of how badly Hollywood is hurting vis a vis other industries -- or as liberals like to say, of "fairness." According to Variety, which covers show business, ticket sales for 2008 "clocked in at $9.63 billion, ahead of the $9.62 billion earned in 2007. Admissions were down roughly 4%, far less than declines in other sectors of the economy." Tinseltown already has enough stimulation.

Yeah those pompous pampered Hollywood assholes really need a tax break.

Change my ass. Political payback continues.

I don't see them asking for Bennifer to give money back when one of their movies flop.. I don't see them trying to scream about cutting down production costs... Don't see them complaining about selective hiring practices..

They just love to paint "corporate business" as the big bad boogeyman

Sadly Hollywood is one of the last few things producing something that we export ... though not well lately. But still ... yeah, let's boost Hollywood, it will probably actually help the economy more.

Raiders of the Lost Taxpayer - WSJ.com

So let's see: Democrats object to cutting the U.S. 35% corporate tax rate -- which is higher than in all of Europe, undermines economic growth and discourages job creation -- for all companies on grounds that it favors the rich and powerful. But Democrats will carve out tax loopholes for businesses they like and that write them campaign checks.

There's also the little matter of how badly Hollywood is hurting vis a vis other industries -- or as liberals like to say, of "fairness." According to Variety, which covers show business, ticket sales for 2008 "clocked in at $9.63 billion, ahead of the $9.62 billion earned in 2007. Admissions were down roughly 4%, far less than declines in other sectors of the economy." Tinseltown already has enough stimulation.

Yeah those pompous pampered Hollywood assholes really need a tax break.

Change my ass. Political payback continues.

Hollywood is geared toward the Liberal POV,and does not really care to represent another view. Which would probably be another reason why not as many folks go to the movies. I certainly get sick of being beaten over the head with the liberal morality speeches on TV. I'm certainly not going to be paying $9.50 to $10.50 a pop to sit for 2 hours and watch that crap at the Movie theatre. Maybe if they catered to all of the folks that represent the "public",insead of just 50% of it,they wouldn't need a tax cut.

Sadly Hollywood is one of the last few things producing something that we export ... though not well lately. But still ... yeah, let's boost Hollywood, it will probably actually help the economy more.

If I remember correctly--watching a special--many of the newer Hollywood movies we view are actually filmed elsewhere--for cheaper labor costs.

If I remember correctly--watching a special--many of the newer Hollywood movies we view are actually filmed elsewhere--for cheaper labor costs.

Not just that, but better backgrounds to. It's not the filming that makes the money, it's the sales of the final product to other countries.

Hollywood historically films in the cheapest places.

Conan was filmed in Spain during some weird revolution....
The old Good, Bad & Ugly movies in Italy.....
Talkie bigwigs took the industry to Hollywood initially because they didn't want to compete with vaudeville in the East.

Who really gives a rat's ass what Hollywood does? So long as they churn out cheap entertainment, let them do whatever it is they do.

Forum List

Back