Screw Abstinence Party

How are obvious observations always considered "attacks" to you? It's obvious to any rational person on USMB that Gabby didn't have the best of parents by how "kooky" she's turned out - this is evident by her posts...

OMG yes, I turned out horrible! :eek:
I have never been in trouble with the law or the education system, I have never made a grade below a B, I've dated the same honest, upstanding guy for almost 6 years, never disrespected my parents and am one year short of a college degree in psychology.
But I am a LIBERAL dammit! so I am a terrible person.

Then again, cp's theory might be true. He obviously had horrible parents. Look at the way he turned out. And I hope to God that he doesn't have any kids. They are probably robotic.

Not to mention the fact that my parents are still together after almost 30 years.
If your parents are divorced, they are a disgrace in the eyes of God, who clearly stated marriage is a union that exists until death. Same thing if you are divorced. You are not a true Christian. :cow:

MissileMan said:
That's a stupid, unfounded assertion. Then again, I guess it's no different than most of the other crap you post.

It's not an "unfounded assertion" - anyone who turned out to be a lib - had a poor upbringing and obviously had liberal parents too - who also had liberal parents - the cycle continues....

My kids can't turn out to be libs - they're all too smart for that - plus, I'd beat their asses... :D

Gabriella84 said:
OMG yes, I turned out horrible! :eek:
I have never been in trouble with the law or the education system, I have never made a grade below a B, I've dated the same honest, upstanding guy for almost 6 years, never disrespected my parents and am one year short of a college degree in psychology.
But I am a LIBERAL dammit! so I am a terrible person.

Then again, cp's theory might be true. He obviously had horrible parents. Look at the way he turned out. And I hope to God that he doesn't have any kids. They are probably robotic.

A LOT of libs haven't had trouble with the law, got decent grades etc.. that doesn't mean they're smart or "good people"....

Gabriella84 said:
Not to mention the fact that my parents are still together after almost 30 years.
If your parents are divorced, they are a disgrace in the eyes of God, who clearly stated marriage is a union that exists until death. Same thing if you are divorced. You are not a true Christian. :cow:

Do you live with your Fiance?

Anyone who thinks the popular culture doesn't have a huge influence on kids is living in denial. Companies literally spend millions to advertise their products on TV, radio, and newspapers, because they know that the ads will consciously or subconsciously affect our buying habits. Giving kids the not-so-subtle message that "we know you're going to do it anyway, so be careful", whether in the media or from an adult in authority at school, has to have a similar effect. We tell our kids from pre-school to listen to their teachers. All of a sudden what they say is inconsequential?

It's not an "unfounded assertion" - anyone who turned out to be a lib - had a poor upbringing and obviously had liberal parents too - who also had liberal parents - the cycle continues....

I have liberal parents. THEIR parents were FAR from liberal. My paternal grandparents were strict, God-fearing conservative types. My maternal grandparents were German, which made them more than strict. I think my parents because more liberal in response to that.

My kids can't turn out to be libs - they're all too smart for that - plus, I'd beat their asses...

See above. A lot of liberals become that way because of the intolerance of their upbringing. It is a response to their Gitmo-type family life. When they become adults, they start to think "I am NOT going to as abusive and narrow-minded as my parents. I am going to think for myself."

Do you live with your Fiance?

Yes. Saves on the bills, and gives us more time together. Though we did live apart (often 400 miles apart) until January.

We tell our kids from pre-school to listen to their teachers. All of a sudden what they say is inconsequential?

I always listened to my teachers and respected what they said. But my dad always taught me to ask questions about anything that I didn't understand, or that didn't make sense to me. My parents had a lot of rules that my sister and I had to follow. They did not regulate our thought process.

Abbey Normal said:
Anyone who thinks the popular culture doesn't have a huge influence on kids is living in denial. Companies literally spend millions to advertise their products on TV, radio, and newspapers, because they know that the ads will consciously or subconsciously affect our buying habits. Giving kids the not-so-subtle message that "we know you're going to do it anyway, so be careful", whether in the media or from an adult in authority at school, has to have a similar effect. We tell our kids from pre-school to listen to their teachers. All of a sudden what they say is inconsequential?

I've made this argument before, but for those who missed it:

Teaching abstinence only is like letting kids walk around with a loaded gun 24/7 and simply telling them to just pretend it's not there and never ever play with it. If you don't include some information about gun safety, something bad is likely to occur.

Gabriella84 said:
Yes. Saves on the bills, and gives us more time together. Though we did live apart (often 400 miles apart) until January.

So somehow - in your warped way of thinking - it's okay to live with your boyfriend/girlfriend - commit fornication - but yet "those who are divorced, can't be Christians"..

Now you know why I assert that you had a poor upbringing...

One wrong does not sanction another. It merely adds up to two wrongs.

If pre-marital fornication is the worst sin I ever commit, I think I will end up far ahead of the curve.

Gabriella84 said:
One wrong does not sanction another. It merely adds up to two wrongs.

If pre-marital fornication is the worst sin I ever commit, I think I will end up far ahead of the curve.

See, this is where pseudo Christians always miss the boat - there's no such thing as "degree of sin" - i.e. there are no sins any worse than other sins in God's eyes" - Sin is simply behavior that goes against God's plan for humans...

It's not as if you'll stand before God someday and he'll say "Wow, you only committed fornication - that's a "less sin" than murder" - sorry Gabby, it doesn't work that way..

Sin is sin is sin...

MissileMan said:
I've made this argument before, but for those who missed it:

Teaching abstinence only is like letting kids walk around with a loaded gun 24/7 and simply telling them to just pretend it's not there and never ever play with it. If you don't include some information about gun safety, something bad is likely to occur.

If it's my kid with the loaded gun, I should be the one to tell him how to handle it safely, and when it is appropriate to take it out and shoot it, or keep it in his pants. Not the school.

(this whole analogy is starting to sound like a double entendre).

Abbey Normal said:
If it's my kid with the loaded gun, I should be the one to tell him how to handle it safely, and when it is appropriate to take it out and shoot it, or keep it in his pants. Not the school.

(this whole analogy is starting to sound like a double entendre).

So you want all sex education removed from schools, including abstinence education?

MissileMan said:
So you want all sex education removed from schools, including abstinence education?

Let me put it this way. I am not against teaching the biology of reproductive organs, growth stages of a fetus, STD's, etc., done from a scientific pov. I am against things like instruction on how to put a condom on. And yes, I know of kids who have sat through class where the health teacher showed how to put one on using a banana as a prop.

Are you in favor of high schools and junior high schools handing out condoms?

Abbey Normal said:
Let me put it this way. I am not against teaching the biology of reproductive organs, growth stages of a fetus, STD's, etc., done from a scientific pov. I am against things like instruction on how to put a condom on. And yes, I know of kids who have sat through class where the health teacher showed how to put one on using a banana as a prop.

Are you in favor of high schools and junior high schools handing out condoms?

Handing them out, no. Teaching what they are for and how to use, yes. I would have to say that it is the lesser of 2 evils when compared to unwanted teenage pregnancy.

MissileMan said:
Handing them out, no. Teaching what they are for and how to use, yes. I would have to say that it is the lesser of 2 evils when compared to unwanted teenage pregnancy.

Sure, I understand the practicality of it.

Do you see the implicit sanctioning of teenage sex that this imparts?

Abbey Normal said:
Sure, I understand the practicality of it.

Do you see the implicit sanctioning of teenage sex that this imparts?

I do see how "just say no, but" can be construed as a mixed message, but what are you going to do? As you say, kids are being bombarded with sex in the media and they are also being driven by their own bodies. It's naive to believe that 'just say no" is more than marginally effective, so "better safe, than sorry".

As God said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Kids are going to do stupid shit. It is part of the rebellious stage that all of them go through. Like I said before, telling kids about birth control and how to properly use it is NOT "giving them permission to have sex." If your kids are as self-disciplined as you believe they are, they won't do it. Just like teaching a kid gun safety doesn't give them permission to shoot people.
If you start teaching your kids "proper moral values" from the time they are old enough to understand, they will not be swayed merely by telling them about birth control. It's just another fact to be tucked away.

-Cp said:
How are obvious observations always considered "attacks" to you? It's obvious to any rational person on USMB that Gabby didn't have the best of parents by how "kooky" she's turned out - this is evident by her posts...

No it's not evident in her posts, what is evident in her posts is that she has an opinion, you for somereason have decided that you know why she has that opinion and for some reason you have decided that what you belive to be the reason for her opinion discredits her, in essence you have invented a way to discredit her without seriously listening to what she has to say... not debate worthy

Forum List

Back