SCOTUS Unanimously Strikes Down Gorsuch Ruling ...

Definitely not good for him lol.
I wouldn't doubt it happens a lot though. The nutter Obama tried to appoint got shut down by SC, he tried again and they laughed at him.
Our SC is nothing but a bunch of activists anyways :/

1 ruling struck down out of nearly 3000. I'd say that's a pretty good ratio, wouldn't you?

Nit-picking has become the national pastime of LWNJ's.

I wouldn't doubt it happens a lot though. The nutter Obama tried to appoint got shut down by SC, he tried again and they laughed at him.

Then when asked in his hearing about this ruling, he was "bound by circuit precedent".

Turns out that is a bold-faced lie.

Then when asked in his hearing about this ruling, he claimed he was "bound by circuit precedent".

Turns out that is a bold-faced lie.

Definitely sounds like Gorsuch does indeed have some animus against kids. No doubt no diggity.

This is really embarrassing for Gorsuch.

Wonder what the 8 SCOTUS justices are trying to say ??

They sent him a message. Good for them.
It amazes me how people think its cool our SC makes rulings based on personal agenda.
We are so fucked...
Well this case about the retarded kid is strange.

That the 8 SCOTUS justices agree on the overturn seems to say it is not a partisan issue. It must be a precedential issue.

Apparently Gorsuch chose the wrong precedent.

He ruled by former precedent-

During his hearing, Gorsuch said his decision was emotionally difficult but that his hands were tied by precedent in an earlier narrow reading of IDEA.

"We were bound by circuit precedent, a case called Urban v Jefferson County School District [from] 1996, which said the appropriate standard was de minimis," Gorsuch told Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin. "That’s the law of my circuit, Senator. And I’ve been asked an awful lot about whether I abide by precedent and whether I always like the results I reach. Here’s a case for you... If anyone is suggesting that I like a result where an autistic child happens to lose, it's a heartbreaking accusation. Heartbreaking."

It amazes me how people think its cool our SC makes rulings based on personal agenda.
We are so fucked...

8 to 1, and they are tied. I guess they like the disabled more than Trump.

Where do you get 8 to 1 ???

There are only 8.

Are you having trouble counting to 8 ???

It goes:

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ... .

8 + 0 = 8

Sorry I meant 8:0. Sorry.

He ruled by former precedent-

During his hearing, Gorsuch said his decision was emotionally difficult but that his hands were tied by precedent in an earlier narrow reading of IDEA.

"We were bound by circuit precedent, a case called Urban v Jefferson County School District [from] 1996, which said the appropriate standard was de minimis," Gorsuch told Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin. "That’s the law of my circuit, Senator. And I’ve been asked an awful lot about whether I abide by precedent and whether I always like the results I reach. Here’s a case for you... If anyone is suggesting that I like a result where an autistic child happens to lose, it's a heartbreaking accusation. Heartbreaking."

Actually, he changed the precedent.

His ruling changed a rule instructing school districts that they must do more than nothing into a rule instructing them that they don’t need to do any more than next to nothing.

Gorsuch is a liar.

We are so fucked...
Well this case about the retarded kid is strange.

That the 8 SCOTUS justices agree on the overturn seems to say it is not a partisan issue. It must be a precedential issue.

Apparently Gorsuch chose the wrong precedent.

According to a retired appellate court judge Gorsuch followed the precedent of 8 other Appeals Courts.

The USSC struck the ruling and then set a new precedent to raise the minimum standard of learning than was available from the previous rulings. Basically, from what I gather, it was struck down was because the standard previously set by precedent was to low. Meaning all the other court precedents concerning this subject were also struck down.

My information comes from watching 2 full days of the hearing, and then listening to the news analysis of the Supreme Court ruling.

Forum List

Back