SCOTUS to hear Heller!

The other nine amendments aren't modified by the implication of a collective act, like "a well-regulated militia". .

But you need to look to what a "militia" was at the time the Constitution was written. There's little doubt the amendment protects an individual right, just as do the rest of the Bill of Rights.

If it were written today, the 2nd amendment's meaning in modern language would be:

"Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons, cannot be taken away or restricted."

It has nothing to do with military groups, hunting, or etc. The right shall not be infringed, period.

-----------------------------------------------------
Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

That's a loaded question. I would have to vote NO on that one. The Second Amendment does NOT give any rights to anyone. It only recognizes rights already existing. These elitists will never get it.

No. I don’t get it. Please explain it to me. How do I know what rights I have unless they are spelled out for me? Do I have the right to practice bestiality? It isn’t stated, but that does not mean that I don’t have that right.

mattskramer wrote:
No. I don’t get it. Please explain it to me. How do I know what rights I have unless they are spelled out for me? Do I have the right to practice bestiality? It isn’t stated, but that does not mean that I don’t have that right.

Then you must be one o' them thar "elitist" fellers I was talkin' about. You see, the Second Amendment don't grant no rights: it just recognizes rights already existing; but I already said that.

And, if you want to practice "bestiality", have at it. But don't be tellin' yer nabors about it.

Forum List

Back