SCOTUS Rules On Texas Redistricting

acludem said:
I agree, Mr. Conley, that would be a much better way. Of course Gerrymandering is as old as the name and the name (after NY Gov. Elbridge Gerry, a friend of John Adams) is 200 years old. This is the way districts have always been drawn. In this case, however, Republicans violated the law by intentionally drawing districts using race. The drawing of Congressional districts is left up to the states so long as they don't violate federal law, which Texas did.

Some states do redistrict in a non-poliical fashion, others don't.

acludem

BS. The Republicans redistricted when they gained majority just as the Dems here did when they gained power. Look for the Dems to do it again if they get back in power.

And the lines were not drawn based on race. That's just typical liberal propaganda. They were drawn based on votes.

I'm just wondering, :scratch: which states do not allow politics to enter into the drawing of districts. :confused: Could be my Illinois upbringing, but I don't think so.

Kathianne said:
I'm just wondering, :scratch: which states do not allow politics to enter into the drawing of districts. :confused: Could be my Illinois upbringing, but I don't think so.

We had quite a show with ours though. The Dems in the Texas Congress ran off to another state and shacked up in a motel because as long as they were out of state they could not be compelled to sit in session. So we had to wait to for a judge to compel them, they still refused, and when they finally came back, not a one paid a fine or lost his/her job. Political grandstanding at its finest.

I'm trying to imagine still having a job if I did that.

GunnyL said:
We had quite a show with ours though. The Dems in the Texas Congress ran off to another state and shacked up in a motel because as long as they were out of state they could not be compelled to sit in session. So we had to wait to for a judge to compel them, they still refused, and when they finally came back, not a one paid a fine or lost his/her job. Political grandstanding at its finest.

I'm trying to imagine still having a job if I did that.
Well I understand the 'hope' just haven't seen it played out, though admitting I may have missed it. Enlighten me. Which are the 'non-political' states as far as drawing voting districts?

Most states have the state legislature do the redistricting, then the governor has to sign off on it. If the governor and both branches of the legislature can't agree, then a panel of judges is appointed to draw the map. That happened here in Missouri after the 2000 census, the Republican legislature gerrymandered Republican districts, then Gov. Bob Holden a Democrat vetoed their plan, no compromise could be reached so a panel of judges created our current districts.

Personally, I think this process should be de-politicized and changed so that a panel of judges or an appointed commitee of non-partisans does the redistricting.

acludem

Forum List

Back