SCOTUS lets civil rights-era voting law stand

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
msnbc.com Video Player

I find it interesting that Clarence Thomas was the one who voted to declare the entire law unconstitutional.

Is it acceptable to continue holding different states to different laws? Should this law be repealed? Should it be extened to all states?

Discuss

When it comes to elections for FEDERAL office, I honestly do NOT think the states should have anything to do with voting laws.

Yes, I think that when it comes to FEDERAL elections the FEDS should administrate every aspect of the process.

It is absurd that people voting in the same election are subject to different laws about who is eligible, when the polls are opened, and so forth.

When it comes to elections for FEDERAL office, I honestly do NOT think the states should have anything to do with voting laws.

Yes, I think that when it comes to FEDERAL elections the FEDS should administrate every aspect of the process.

It is absurd that people voting in the same election are subject to different laws about who is eligible, when the polls are opened, and so forth.

I can see the point here but will have to disagree. Most of the time people in different states are voting for very different groups of people during an election for any office but that of President. Also there are often more issues on the ballots than simply those people running for Federal offices, often those few offices are actually the smallest part of a ballot when a person goes in to vote. For the Feds to go in and start making voting laws would just be another means of them usurping the state's rights.

Now if you want to hold entirely seperate federal elections where the only thing being voted on is federal offices (meaning absolutely NO state issues are on the ballots AT ALL) then perhaps I could see them making the argument that they had the right to more closely regulate them. Of course then you have to ask if Senators from NY (if this actually got put before Congress) really should have any say in how Senators from CA (or any other state) are voted into office.

Oh, and the SCOTUS decision is bullshit.

Forum List

Back