SCOTUS is voting today. Why do they wait 3 months to announce the results?

What makes you think they are voting today?

They take so long to issue decisions because they devote alot of their time to case law research as they formulate their decisions, and then have to actually sit down and right out their decisions. We should be glad that they are so diligent.

• Banned

They take so long to issue decisions because they devote alot of their time to case law research as they formulate their decisions, and then have to actually sit down and right out their decisions. We should be glad that they are so diligent.

I heard it on a news break on the radio. Was I misinformed?

Today's vote is private, then opinions are written. Votes may change before release of the decision also.

After oral argument is made on a particular case, the Justices hold a private case conference together for a brief discussion to see if there are any differences of opinion on the issues. An initial vote is sometimes taken at this time.

Once a final vote is taken, the job of writing the actual court opinion is assigned to one of the Justices who voted in the majority. That Justice then prepares a preliminary draft, which when finished is circulated to the other Justices for their review. As the draft opinion is reviewed, the Justices will make comments, propose changes even change their initial votes. A draft may go through many revisions before it is acceptable to the majority. Meanwhile the same process might be going on for the minority, or dissenting, opinion. It might be said that more deliberations take place during the reviews of the circulating opinions than at any time in the process, even in the preliminary case conference.
This is why it takes 3 months.

Today's vote is private, then opinions are written. Votes may change before release of the decision also.
^^^
This.

I have no idea if you've been misinformed. I was just asking because I hadn't heard anything myself, so I was curious if I'd missed something.

Forum List

Back