Scott Stapp's new Single - Out Now

-Cp said:
Yeah? And why did Scott make them suck so bad?

And if they sucked as bad as you say they do, why'd they sell 30 Million albums and have four #1 singles off their debut album (tying a record)...

Album sales are a poor choice for measuring musical quality. As a measure of popularity, possibly.

Just this past week, Ashley Simpson outsold Stevie Wonder by a margin of 2-1. In fact, Ashley Simpson had the top-selling record in the country.

This is entirely the point we're trying to make, stop judging music based on how much it sells or where the singles debut, or how many other people listen to it.

dmp said:
Often ANYTIME a band gets 'successful' people accuse them of 'selling out'.

Heck, I'd tatoo a pic of jimnyc on my ass if he paid me enough $. :)

Also very true. The "selling out" label gets applied way too liberaly by a band's hard-core fans who somehow feel betrayed that they aren't the only one cool enough to know about a band.

Bands do sell out though, look at Sugar Ray. Classic example.

The ClayTaurus said:
Album sales are a poor choice for measuring musical quality. As a measure of popularity, possibly.

Just this past week, Ashley Simpson outsold Stevie Wonder by a margin of 2-1. In fact, Ashley Simpson had the top-selling record in the country.

This is entirely the point we're trying to make, stop judging music based on how much it sells or where the singles debut, or how many other people listen to it.

Ashlee Simpson is an anomily based on heavy pimping from her dad (her agent).... and riding her sister's coat-tails...

So she has ONE album that sells well....

EVERY one of Creed's albums have went on to sell multiple platinum levels..

This is Ashlee's hour to luck-out... .

-Cp said:
Ashlee Simpson is an anomily based on heavy pimping from her dad (her agent).... and riding her sister's coat-tails...

So she has ONE album that sells well....

EVERY one of Creed's albums have went on to sell multiple platinum levels..

This is Ashlee's hour to luck-out... .

My point was and is, album sales mean nothing other than which bands obviously know how to market (or have people behind them who know how to market). It's a business measurement, not an artistic measurement.

The ClayTaurus said:
My point was and is, album sales mean nothing other than which bands obviously know how to market (or have people behind them who know how to market). It's a business measurement, not an artistic measurement.

It's ONE of the artisitic measurements - not the definitive one, however...

The ClayTaurus said:
Also very true. The "selling out" label gets applied way too liberaly by a band's hard-core fans who somehow feel betrayed that they aren't the only one cool enough to know about a band.

Bands do sell out though, look at Sugar Ray. Classic example.

dummy...Sugar Ray is a boxer, not a singer.

:p

:alco:

dmp said:
e795413h3dn.jpg

I was never a fan of Creed, and the whole "they sold out" argument irritates me.

First off, I agree 100% with Clay, I don't judge an artist's merit on how many records they've sold. But, I accept that some people do, and that's fine.

Creed goes out of their way to make "rock" music that is homogenized enough to be accepted by pretty much anyone. All their songs sound more or less the same.

But, the reason I single Scott Stapp out is because the rest of the band seems to be kind of down to earth, whereas (at least to me) he comes off as a pompous douchebag.

"Vulnerable masked as pompous? I don't think so. What about the "Higher" video, where he demanded that the director add more shots of him in a Christ pose with his chest all greased up. Then again, that could be any of their videos.

The lyrics do little for me. Outside of "With Arms Wide Open", every song I've ever heard by them has been about the same exact thing, and kind of poorly written at that. Again, this is just my personal bias, but Creed, along with most nu-rock/metal bands, have no clue how to write lyrics. I'll admit that Creed's lyrics are better than the average Nickelback or Puddle of Mudd ("she fuckin' hates me", that's deep, man!), but still not that great.

I'm a huge music snob, I won't deny that. Most of you guys would hate my favorite bands, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess.

Dan said:
I was never a fan of Creed, and the whole "they sold out" argument irritates me.

First off, I agree 100% with Clay, I don't judge an artist's merit on how many records they've sold. But, I accept that some people do, and that's fine.

Creed goes out of their way to make "rock" music that is homogenized enough to be accepted by pretty much anyone. All their songs sound more or less the same.

But, the reason I single Scott Stapp out is because the rest of the band seems to be kind of down to earth, whereas (at least to me) he comes off as a pompous douchebag.

"Vulnerable masked as pompous? I don't think so. What about the "Higher" video, where he demanded that the director add more shots of him in a Christ pose with his chest all greased up. Then again, that could be any of their videos.

The lyrics do little for me. Outside of "With Arms Wide Open", every song I've ever heard by them has been about the same exact thing, and kind of poorly written at that. Again, this is just my personal bias, but Creed, along with most nu-rock/metal bands, have no clue how to write lyrics. I'll admit that Creed's lyrics are better than the average Nickelback or Puddle of Mudd ("she fuckin' hates me", that's deep, man!), but still not that great.

I'm a huge music snob, I won't deny that. Most of you guys would hate my favorite bands, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess.
You peeped the new Mike Doughty cd?

Not-too-bad if I do say so myself. Quite pop, actually (and ironically)

Can't say that I have. Lately, I've been listening to Bright Eyes' "Fevers and Mirrors", DangerDoom, and Eels' "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations".

Dan said:
Can't say that I have. Lately, I've been listening to Bright Eyes' "Fevers and Mirrors", DangerDoom, and Eels' "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations".
Well, if you wanna break away from the obsessively indie for a little feel-good sing-along music, check out Haughty Melodic. It's good.

Dan said:

I believe you could write this entire piece on Nickelback as well; in fact, moreso. I know what you mean, and are trying to say - I just assume NB to be a 'worse' offender. :)

dmp said:
I believe you could write this entire piece on Nickelback as well; in fact, moreso. I know what you mean, and are trying to say - I just assume NB to be a 'worse' offender. :)

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH!

(can you hear the tears in my voice?)(about everything I sing about?)

I believe you could write this entire piece on Nickelback as well; in fact, moreso. I know what you mean, and are trying to say - I just assume NB to be a 'worse' offender.

I agree 100%.

There's some Flash program where they play two Nickelback songs at the same time, and they sound EXACTLY alike. Like, the chord changes are the same, the chorus starts at the same time. It's insane.

New Topics

Forum List

Back