Scott Rasmussen on the Republican Brand

Scott Rasmussen, the pollster who consistently overrated Romney’s chances of winning the election. Rasmussen blasted the assembled Republicans with one crushing statistic after another. The exit poll data, he said, “create a negative brand image of the Republican Party as a party that only cares about white people.”

The audience murmured unhappily.

“And that image is hurting among the youth,” he continued. “It is hurting across the culture. It is something that has to be addressed across the party. It has to be addressed. You can’t just wish it away.”

A Dispatch From the 'National Review's Post-Election Cruise -- New York Magazine

Ouch.

Hey, they got Tim Scott into the Senate. Problem solved.:lol:

He had all kinds of exceedingly clear messaging.

He wanted to involve government in abortion, contraception, and gay marriage. He wanted to cut taxes and decrease social programs. He wanted to increase defense spending. He had a 5 point economic plan you all were raving about during the election.

His message was CRYSTAL clear, and what could you possibly know about NOT voting for him?

You're just trying to blame the messenger, and not the messsage. The GOP brand is wounded, because they were too clear about what they wanted
He was consistently on both sides of all of those issues, dependent upon the audience....Hell, his performance in the 3rd debate basically boiled down to "me too".

He had NO message, other than "I'm not Obama".

But that was part of his message also because for a lot of people that is all they cared about. That it wasn't Obama. He ran on the Kerry platform. Kerry had "ideas" and "policies" as well, but he was manly the not him guy.
Romney's ideas and policies weren't at all different in substance.

Obamacare: For it as "Romeneycare" before he was against it.

Bailouts: All for them.

Stimulus: All for it.

International warmongering and nation building: Me too!

USAPATRIOT Act and NDAA: Ditto!

Like I said...He played defense, with "I'm not him" as his only position that you could nail him down on.

He was consistently on both sides of all of those issues, dependent upon the audience....Hell, his performance in the 3rd debate basically boiled down to "me too".

He had NO message, other than "I'm not Obama".

But that was part of his message also because for a lot of people that is all they cared about. That it wasn't Obama. He ran on the Kerry platform. Kerry had "ideas" and "policies" as well, but he was manly the not him guy.

Like I said...He played defense, with "I'm not him" as his only position that you could nail him down on.

i know.....but they were all still policies.

I think your defense idea only came after the first debate. I think his ego was stroked so much, he thought he had it in the bag.

This was harsh medicine to reluctant patients, and afterward some of them made their discomfort known. “That depressed me!” one woman said. To my right, a man snapped, “That’s bullshit!”

The man was Bing West, former assistant secretary of Defense under Ronald Reagan, a former Marine and a National Review contributor.

West, mocking Rasmussen, said: “If you stupid Republicans weren’t so goddamn bigoted you would have won the election!”

His wife, Betsy, who bears a resemblance to Nancy Reagan, patted him on the back and apologized on his behalf, saying, “I don’t know why he said that. He’s usually not like that.”

Wonder which of the USMB rightist West is posting as…

I think your defense idea only came after the first debate. I think his ego was stroked so much, he thought he had it in the bag.
I don't....There really is no difference between the parties, insofar as international warmongering and nation building are concerned.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee, dude.

I don't....There really is no difference between the parties, insofar as international warmongering and nation building are concerned.

i already know this...

Coffee smells like ass.

yep. Policing the world REQUIRES war corporatism. Sad fact. This is @ 7 years old & is still relevant until defense cuts are made:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_8RwXMMwI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_8RwXMMwI[/ame]​

Last edited:
Oddball & many other libertarians were cast to the wind this past election eh? :( I'm against over spending myself but not at libertarian levels.

Unfortunately, there are a great many uninformed people out there that lap up the never-ending onslaught of absurd claims that the GOP is the party of "old white men".

And it doesn't help that you have a nut less GOP unwilling to call these dopes out for saying such stupid shit.
The killer is that the guy who was supposedly lying to them (i.e. Rasmussen) is now suddenly doing to do a 180° and a totally correct indicator on where they should go next....And that direction is exactly that which those who want to beat them politically (i.e. democrats) want them to take!

Why even pretend that there are two parties anymore?

Yup... Liberal vs. liberal lite.

Conservatives, they felt, needed their own cultural voice—a Letterman, a Leno, an SNL, a 30 Rock—to compete with the overwhelming liberal dominance of the culture. As the Republican image stood today, said Lileks, “we’re the stupid people, we’re the yokels, we’re the dumb, we’re the racists, we’re the hicks, we’re against everything that’s hip and cool.”

And it’s clear republicans won’t find their way out of the political woods anytime soon, not if they continue with this type of faulty reasoning.

There is no ‘liberal dominance of the culture,’ as already correctly noted: it’s not the messenger but the message. It won’t make any difference if conservatives find their own ‘cultural voice’ if the conservative message continues to be one of fear, contempt for dissent and diversity, and hostility toward individual liberty and the freedom to express oneself as an individual.

Republicans and conservatives weren’t rejected because they were ‘against everything that’s hip and cool,’ they were rejected because theirs was a message of totalitarian absolutism, blind to the fact that America is a diverse multicultural, multiracial society.

They could start getting out of the hole they dug by NOT requiring new Repubs to read ayn rand. :dunno: Just a suggestion ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back