Scotland or Ireland?

Abbey Normal said:
Has anyone been to either country? Or to both? Would you recommend visiting it?

been to both......scotland for sure.......if you are into scotch hit the whiskey trail....and if you are into golf then you will also be very happy....Edinburgh castle and the town was simply amazing make sure to rent a car an take a drive both inland and alng the coast

Abbey Normal said:
Thanks, Manu. My husband is a big single malt guy.

And he thinks he can golf... :D

oh and the cashmere sweaters along the loches are to die for......

have fun.....going in the spring?

manu1959 said:
oh and the cashmere sweaters along the loches are to die for......

have fun.....going in the spring?

Thanks. We're thinking of a trip in the first week of April, while our daughter takes a trip to Disney World with her high school band. My husband thinks I'll worry a litttle less than if we just stay home. I'm not convinced. I can worry anywhere, anytime. It's one of my talents.

Also possible that we would instead go back to London, or back to Bermuda.

Abbey Normal said:
Also possible that we would instead go back to London, or back to Bermuda.

London is lovely right now. All the parks in blossom. I can't get enough of this city. The Tower, the museums, the art gallery's, the pubs, the architecture. To say nothing of the fabulous shopping! ;)

HopeandGlory said:
London is lovely right now. All the parks in blossom. I can't get enough of this city. The Tower, the museums, the art gallery's, the pubs, the architecture. To say nothing of the fabulous shopping! ;)

Thanks, H&G. We were in London (and Shropshire, Stratford, and a couple of other places) last June.

I really loved that trip! Especially... Westminster Abbey. :)

Abbey Normal said:
Thanks, H&G. We were in London (and Shropshire, Stratford, and a couple of other places) last June.

I really loved that trip! Especially... Westminster Abbey. :)

You're most welcome. Glad you liked it over here - and I agree Westminster Abbey is quite lovely.

Of course, I should be plugging another beautiful Abbey - my own home city of Bath has so much to offer. The Abbey, of course, and the Roman Baths and ruins, then there's all the Georgian buildings and as any Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer reader knows, the Regency Pump Rooms and Assembly Hall.

Wells Cathedral and the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey are 1/2 an hours drive from Bath. In my opinion, Wells is the most beautiful of them all. Enjoy your trip, whhichever you decide. :bye1:

roomy said:
Come to the North/East of England, it is next door to Scotland and just as beautiful and steeped in history, you can step across the border without hindrance, infact kill 3 birds with 1 stone , you can always hop over to Ireland on the ferry.You can drive from one end of the country to the other easily in a few hours.

That sounds great!
We were going to head due North last trip, but I was afraid I'd kill myself driving "on the left". I almost did on a scooter in Bermuda.

HopeandGlory said:
You're most welcome. Glad you liked it over here - and I agree Westminster Abbey is quite lovely.

Of course, I should be plugging another beautiful Abbey - my own home city of Bath has so much to offer. The Abbey, of course, and the Roman Baths and ruins, then there's all the Georgian buildings and as any Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer reader knows, the Regency Pump Rooms and Assembly Hall.

Wells Cathedral and the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey are 1/2 an hours drive from Bath. In my opinion, Wells is the most beautiful of them all. Enjoy your trip, whhichever you decide. :bye1:

Isn't Glastonbury where legend has it that King Arthur is buried? That sounds like a trip I would love also.

So where do you most like to go on vacation?

Abbey Normal said:
Isn't Glastonbury where legend has it that King Arthur is buried? That sounds like a trip I would love also.

So where do you most like to go on vacation?

Absolutely right about Glastonbury. There is a shallow grave in the grounds of the Abbey were Arthur and Guinevere were supposed to have been buried. Their bodies were apparantly removed by the monks and lost during Henry VIII's dissolution of the Abbey.

It is a lovely town, quirky and spiritual. Joseph of Arimathea was also supposed to have visited and there's a thorn (indigenous to the Holy Land) which grows locally, he is supposed to have brought with him and planted.

As for me and where I like to go on holiday - I love Italy. Rome is a lovely city, the Forum and Colosseum should be seen at least once in a lifetime. Venice is decaying grandeur, but outstandingly beautiful. My favourite place though, is Tuscany. Lovely scenary, Pisa, Florence, Siena. Just wonderful.

I also come over the pond to the States or Canada. My dearest friend lives in Maryland and we spend four/five weeks a year with each other. She comes over here for 2 and I go over for 2 or more. So far, we've done Boston a couple of times, New York, stayed on a ranch in California, toured B&B'S in New England, and stayed in San Francisco. This July, we're meeting up with another friend in Montreal, then she's coming over here in September for a fortnight - 1 week in London, 1 week up to Stratford on Avon and around Warwick and Shakespeare country. ( We both have ex-military, understanding husbands! :) )

roomy said:
It's the roundabouts that might kill you :D It's just what you are used to I suppose, I feel the same as you only it is driving on the right for me.I am assured by others that you get the hang of it pretty quickly. :dunno:

I'm sure it is tough either way. Funny thing is, I did fine on the roundabouts in Bermuda, but lost it on a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry, my cat just walked on the keyboard... :D

on a straightaway, because I was busy waving to a friendly Bermudian, then lost my bearings. I'm an idiot.

HopeandGlory said:
Absolutely right about Glastonbury. There is a shallow grave in the grounds of the Abbey were Arthur and Guinevere were supposed to have been buried. Their bodies were apparantly removed by the monks and lost during Henry VIII's dissolution of the Abbey.

It is a lovely town, quirky and spiritual. Joseph of Arimathea was also supposed to have visited and there's a thorn (indigenous to the Holy Land) which grows locally, he is supposed to have brought with him and planted.

As for me and where I like to go on holiday - I love Italy. Rome is a lovely city, the Forum and Colosseum should be seen at least once in a lifetime. Venice is decaying grandeur, but outstandingly beautiful. My favourite place though, is Tuscany. Lovely scenary, Pisa, Florence, Siena. Just wonderful.

I also come over the pond to the States or Canada. My dearest friend lives in Maryland and we spend four/five weeks a year with each other. She comes over here for 2 and I go over for 2 or more. So far, we've done Boston a couple of times, New York, stayed on a ranch in California, toured B&B'S in New England, and stayed in San Francisco. This July, we're meeting up with another friend in Montreal, then she's coming over here in September for a fortnight - 1 week in London, 1 week up to Stratford on Avon and around Warwick and Shakespeare country. ( We both have ex-military, understanding husbands! :) )

You've been to California before I have. Did you make it up to Maine on your New England trip? If not, I would highly recommend it.

You and GotZoom should talk. He adores Italy, and lived there for many years.

Btw, for some reason, I thought you were male. :huh:

Welcome to the board!

Abbey Normal said:
Has anyone been to either country? Or to both? Would you recommend visiting it?

I have been to both, and both are equally beautiful, If you happen to love castles, green fields, moors, and rocky coastlines.........Which I do. England I found almost as beautiful.

Never been to Ireland, but should make a pilgrimmage to see any sites connected to my screen name.

Scotland I have seen, very nice. It was in the summer and it stayed light until 11 p.m.

Abbey Normal said:
You've been to California before I have. Did you make it up to Maine on your New England trip? If not, I would highly recommend it.

You and GotZoom should talk. He adores Italy, and lived there for many years.

Btw, for some reason, I thought you were male. :huh:

Welcome to the board!

I liked California a lot. We stayed on a ranch in Caliente - miles from nowhere up in the hills. Of course, we 'did' LA and Monterey, Carmel and some of the beaches on the Pacific. It was the first time I've seen the Pacific Ocean which made it special for me!

Funnily enough - Maine is on our list of places to go. Apparantly there are lots of lakes as well as the wide beaches?

<G> - no, a girl not a boy!

And many thanks for the kind welcome. Nice and very interesting to be here! :)

Forum List

Back