Scotch

Then there's my fave, Chivas Regal and water, with ice. Yum***

For as much as I have grown fond of Scotch, I only recently came around to appreciating the addition of a little bit of water. It is said to "release" some of the locked up undertones. Or some such. But, it does work. That's why I have become a bit of a rebel. Yeah. That's right. I have even added ice to single malts.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the label recommends you use a ratio of two parts water to one part scotch, but it's 57% alcohol.

I found Laphroaig a bit too much for my own taste, but now that I am reading what you just posted I wonder: maybe it's because I failed to add a little bit of water to it?

I MAY just have to try it again! :cool:

For as much as I have grown fond of Scotch, I only recently came around to appreciating the addition of a little bit of water. It is said to "release" some of the locked up undertones. Or some such. But, it does work. That's why I have become a bit of a rebel. Yeah. That's right. I have even added ice to single malts.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the label recommends you use a ratio of two parts water to one part scotch, but it's 57% alcohol.

I found Laphroaig a bit too much for my own taste, but now that I am reading what you just posted I wonder: maybe it's because I failed to add a little bit of water to it?

Water makes a huge difference IMO.

Try Laphroaig 10 year, use ice and sip. Or try Lagavulin, it's peaty but not as much as Laphroaig.

Try Laphroaig 10 year, use ice and sip. Or try Lagavulin, it's peaty but not as much as Laphroaig.

Will give both a try.

(Over time. I'd love to drink more, but I'm not as young as my level of immaturity!)

if you like laphroaig, you should try dalwhinnie.

My all-time favorite is Laphroaig 10 year, no ice, no water. My wife hates the smell. I like Littlemill for a none peaty taste. I'm going to Islay in 2013 for my birthday.

I'll try Dalwhinne this weekend.

Last edited:

LOL... i just looked to see what was open. Dalwhinnie is one of them. Kiki...ive got your covered with Macmillan. AA ive got your Chivis Regal covered too. So speak up you Glen Fiddich folks... ive got you covered there as well.

:)

I like Balvenie Doublewood Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 YR. Would love to try the JW Dbl Black!

And just for shuck, you all need to buy American! Ever try Colorado Whiskey? Its quite good.

Chivas & Ice has been my drink ever since my father took me to Vegas. The liquor was good and free so Dad said to get the best.

I still find it pretty smooth. But I never was an advanced drinker. I'm from Saskatchewan.

Four aces and red devil I remember from those days.

Bent over a bottle till I couldn't waddle,
I think I just pooped my pants...
Went for a toddle why shouldn't I dawdle,
I winked then drooped askance...
Loose and flaccid my frame quite elastic,
I stumbled along the main...
With a uselessly spastic brain gone placid,
I hummed my song's refrain...

"Whiskey and women will be my demise,
I've stared the Devil--right in his eyes,
I've rolled in flame-- stolen some lies
but Whiskey and Women will be my demise."

:eusa_shhh:

LOL... i just looked to see what was open. Dalwhinnie is one of them. Kiki...ive got your covered with Macmillan. AA ive got your Chivis Regal covered too. So speak up you Glen Fiddich folks... ive got you covered there as well.

:)

:party::party:

I almost put this in the food and wine category, but a spirit isn't really either food or wine. So, here it goes.

Just an observation I just made today.

You've all (no doubt) heard of the family of Johnny Walker Scotches.

There's Red. Blended. Lower Shelf. Yeech.

There's Black. Blended. Kind of upper shelf. I like it. Some folks find it a bit bland.

There's Green. That's an upper shelf style single malt. Nice.

There's Gold. Blended. Noticeably smoother than even Black. Pricier, but kind of worth it.

Then there's Blue. Blended. Smoothest yet. VERY expensive. Very very nice, though.

Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere I saw it in a liquor store tonight.

Johnny Walker DOUBLE Black. I have not yet tried it. The material they sent to the store advises that it's a Western side (of Scotland) blend of the more Petey and Smokey malts. It is aged in heavily charred oak barrels, too, which supposedly imbues it with additional mellowing.

Has anybody tried it? It supposedly used to be available only from duty free shops, but is in limited production now for retail sale in the fall. I'd be interested in some reviews.

In the meanwhile, I re-upped on Black. :cool:

Never see red, I normally do black and green is rare around here...

Quite frankly Evan Williams is not bad at all...

It tastes just like Jack but its half the price...

I almost put this in the food and wine category, but a spirit isn't really either food or wine. So, here it goes.

Just an observation I just made today.

You've all (no doubt) heard of the family of Johnny Walker Scotches.

There's Red. Blended. Lower Shelf. Yeech.

There's Black. Blended. Kind of upper shelf. I like it. Some folks find it a bit bland.

There's Green. That's an upper shelf style single malt. Nice.

There's Gold. Blended. Noticeably smoother than even Black. Pricier, but kind of worth it.

Then there's Blue. Blended. Smoothest yet. VERY expensive. Very very nice, though.

Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere I saw it in a liquor store tonight.

Johnny Walker DOUBLE Black. I have not yet tried it. The material they sent to the store advises that it's a Western side (of Scotland) blend of the more Petey and Smokey malts. It is aged in heavily charred oak barrels, too, which supposedly imbues it with additional mellowing.

Has anybody tried it? It supposedly used to be available only from duty free shops, but is in limited production now for retail sale in the fall. I'd be interested in some reviews.

In the meanwhile, I re-upped on Black. :cool:

Blended? Ugh.

Old Pulteney's is the way to go.

With Bowmores when I'm in the mood for an Islay.

Last edited:
If you're going to drink Scotch, you might as well start drinking good Scotch.

The Fifty Best Single Malt Scotch

I do. That others may not share the same taste is not a valid basis to claim that the Scotches I like aren't good.

That said, I have looked for deeper and more complex kinds of Scotches. Sometimes, I prefer a good Single Malt. And I have enjoyed them neat, by the way. It's just that the purists will insist that "thou shalt never add ice" and I say "phooey" to that. I know. Mighty colorful strong language!

Anyway, I appreciate the link. Looks like it could lead to some fine Scotch tasting and buying down the road.

My new favourite drink!

I always stayed away from scotch because I thought it was awful, but a friend served me Glenmorangie in the summer, now I'm hooked.

I've been buying Macallan 12.

620009x.jpg

The guy at Costco said that sometime near the holidays, Costco brings a private label in that is Macallan 18. I can't wait!

I just can't drink lousy booze. It's got to be quality.

Just got a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year, I like.

FFS, Costco had their no-name brand in LAST weekend, and was sold out in four days! The no-name brand is Macallan 15 year.

So I bought a bottle of the 15 year. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the 12 and 15 year bottles. I'm too much of a rube. So I'll stick to the 12 year since its cheaper.

FFS, Costco had their no-name brand in LAST weekend, and was sold out in four days! The no-name brand is Macallan 15 year.

So I bought a bottle of the 15 year. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the 12 and 15 year bottles. I'm too much of a rube. So I'll stick to the 12 year since its cheaper.

you mean the costco house lable?

Forum List

Back