Scotch

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
I almost put this in the food and wine category, but a spirit isn't really either food or wine. So, here it goes.

Just an observation I just made today.

You've all (no doubt) heard of the family of Johnny Walker Scotches.

There's Red. Blended. Lower Shelf. Yeech.

There's Black. Blended. Kind of upper shelf. I like it. Some folks find it a bit bland.

There's Green. That's an upper shelf style single malt. Nice.

There's Gold. Blended. Noticeably smoother than even Black. Pricier, but kind of worth it.

Then there's Blue. Blended. Smoothest yet. VERY expensive. Very very nice, though.

Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere I saw it in a liquor store tonight.

Johnny Walker DOUBLE Black. I have not yet tried it. The material they sent to the store advises that it's a Western side (of Scotland) blend of the more Petey and Smokey malts. It is aged in heavily charred oak barrels, too, which supposedly imbues it with additional mellowing.

Has anybody tried it? It supposedly used to be available only from duty free shops, but is in limited production now for retail sale in the fall. I'd be interested in some reviews.

In the meanwhile, I re-upped on Black. :cool:

I prefer mine with butter..... :eusa_whistle:

butterscotch.gif

i am a mcallans girl myself...but will happily taste the double black if offered.

I have tried several different labels. In one way or another, excepting the crap like JW Red, I find something in almost all Scotches to like.

A lady who can handle a little Scotch is a bit of a catch, btw. Have you ever noticed the guys you have dated in your life looking at you differently when you drink that stuff?

:cool:

I almost put this in the food and wine category, but a spirit isn't really either food or wine. So, here it goes.

There's Black. Blended. Kind of upper shelf. I like it. Some folks find it a bit bland.

There's Gold. Blended. Noticeably smoother than even Black. Pricier, but kind of worth it.

Then there's Blue. Blended. Smoothest yet. VERY expensive. Very very nice, though.

Johnny Walker DOUBLE Black. I have not yet tried it. The material they sent to the store advises that it's a Western side (of Scotland) blend of the more Petey and Smokey malts. It is aged in heavily charred oak barrels, too, which supposedly imbues it with additional mellowing.

Has anybody tried it? It supposedly used to be available only from duty free shops, but is in limited production now for retail sale in the fall. I'd be interested in some reviews.

Then there's my fave, Chivas Regal and water, with ice. Yum***

i am a mcallans girl myself...but will happily taste the double black if offered.

I have tried several different labels. In one way or another, excepting the crap like JW Red, I find something in almost all Scotches to like.

A lady who can handle a little Scotch is a bit of a catch, btw. Have you ever noticed the guys you have dated in your life looking at you differently when you drink that stuff?

:cool:

i am a dane of sorts probaby born 40 years too late! yes i have noticed the attention my choice of libation draws, especially when indulging two fingers of 25.:tongue:

I am not a big fan of heavy on the smokey or petey.... However i make a point of trying the premium labels of all the makers i enjoy. I prefer mine with a splash of water. Though in recent years ive moved from scotch to rum.

I am not a big fan of heavy on the smokey or petey.... However i make a point of trying the premium labels of all the makers i enjoy. I prefer mine with a splash of water. Though in recent years ive moved from scotch to rum.

I love the smokey peaty scotches. The peaty the better.

For as much as I have grown fond of Scotch, I only recently came around to appreciating the addition of a little bit of water. It is said to "release" some of the locked up undertones. Or some such. But, it does work. That's why I have become a bit of a rebel. Yeah. That's right. I have even added ice to single malts.

I can't sit next to someone drinking scotch. The smell makes me violently ill. Might have something to do with drinking 2/3 of a quart of J&B when I was 12.

I love the smokey peaty scotches. The peaty the better.

I never much got into cigars. But on the few occasions when I have puffed on a good one, I have done so with a good Scotch in the other hand. And under those circumstances, I agree: the peaty-er the better-er.

For as much as I have grown fond of Scotch, I only recently came around to appreciating the addition of a little bit of water. It is said to "release" some of the locked up undertones. Or some such. But, it does work. That's why I have become a bit of a rebel. Yeah. That's right. I have even added ice to single malts.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the label recommends you use a ratio of two parts water to one part scotch, but it's 57% alcohol.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the label recommends you use a ratio of two parts water to one part scotch, but it's 57% alcohol.

if you like laphroaig, you should try dalwhinnie.

Forum List

Back