Score 1 For the Mammals

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
When Dinosaurs Ruled, a Mammal Ate (a Little) One
By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD

Published: January 13, 2005

In the time of dinosaurs, mammals were the meek that had yet to inherit the earth. They were small creatures, many no bigger than mice, and essentially nocturnal, feeding mainly on insects and cowering in holes and underbrush from the terrible tread of the reptilian lords of the land.

Two newly discovered fossils show that this lowly image of early mammals, long the reigning view of science, did not do them justice. A few of these animals were as large as a dog and spunky enough to devour dinosaurs, at least juvenile dinosaurs.

The 130-million-year-old fossils, announced yesterday by Chinese paleontologists, challenge conventional thinking and lead to a new and more diverse perception of mammal life in the Mesozoic era, 280 million to 65 million years ago.

In interviews and a report being published today in the journal Nature, the researchers described finding the skull and most of the bones of what they say is the largest mammal known to live in the age of dinosaurs. The animal's skull was half again the length of the next largest mammal of the period. The entire body probably weighed 30 pounds and stretched more than three feet, longer than a good-size basset hound's.

From the same fossil beds in northern China, the paleontologists also uncovered the remains of a related species about 15 inches long, the size of an opossum, and made a striking observation. The mammal's last meal had been a juvenile dinosaur. Its limbs, fingers and teeth were lodged within the mammal's rib cage where its stomach had been.

Take that pea-brained dinosaurs!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/s...&en=12224121355ac028&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This is an interesting story just because i remember that scientists said that dinosaurs and mammals didnt live together at the same time. Just goes to show that science is a continual learning process. thats why I dont always listen to people when they say "science" proves something or says something. It can change. especially in archaelogy.

Zhukov said:
Archaeology is restricted to human life and culture.

You're thinking paleontology.

its all the same as far as im concerned. it all involves people digging in the dirt.

This is an interesting story just because i remember that scientists said that dinosaurs and mammals didnt live together at the same time. Just goes to show that science is a continual learning process. thats why I dont always listen to people when they say "science" proves something or says something. It can change. especially in archaelogy.

I don't know about that. The mammal could have kept the dinosaur in the refrigerator until it was ready to eat.

Merlin1047 said:
I don't know about that. The mammal could have kept the dinosaur in the refrigerator until it was ready to eat.

Or it just ate a dead dinosaur.

...that had been in the refrigerator.

Forum List

Back