Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by KMAN, Dec 24, 2008.

1. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    These people are out of control... Everytime we take a dump we emit gases too!!!! I guess we need to stop going number 2.

If all of these people who believe the planet is more important than people would just kill themselves everyone would be happy... We could go on and live our lives and the dead bark humping weirdos would be happy too. Like this observation or not, it would be true.

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet | The Courier-Mail

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Actually, that is the most logical of all the environuts claims. The lights are not that important but people use thousands per household many times, and most end up in the garbage right afterward, so yeah, they could build up. Then there is the almost forgotten light pollution (I miss the night sky with all the stars in it) and many others. If people would at least be moderate about it instead of going so overboard.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I don't know anyone who throws them away, they put the same lights up year after year and replace used bulbs as needed.

4. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    A cow emits 200-400 quarts of methane per day. An average cow lives about 5 years. That's 730,000 quarts of methane or 182,500 gallons of it. There are over 5 million cows on the planet. That's over 9 trillion gallons of methane over 5 years. And the very people who are blaming me for driving my Ford Explorer, are the ones who are flying back and forth in leer jets.

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,639

John Travolta has a 747 or somthing like that parked in his fucking liberal better than thou art driveway! Hypocrites. :lol:

6. Lonelyoshin

Lonelyoshin Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I think we should take care of our planet, but taking it to those extremes is ridiculous.

7. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I don't need lights. I live my life in the complete dark.

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281
    From that site;
    SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

CSIRO researchers said householders should know that each bulb turned on in the name of Christmas will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.

Dr Glenn Platt, who leads research on energy demand, said Australia got 80 per cent of its electricity by burning coal which pumps harmful emissions into the atmosphere.

He said: "Energy efficient bulbs, such as LEDs, and putting your Christmas lights on a timer are two very easy ways to minimise the amount of electricity you use to power your lights."

He said the nation's electricity came from "centralised carbon intensive, coal-based power stations" which were responsible for emitting over one third of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.

Dr Platt added: "For a zero-emission Christmas light show, you may consider using solar powered lights or sourcing your electricity from verified green power suppliers."

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281
    And two hundred years ago there were millions of buffalo, wildebeast, and caribou. No impact on atmospheric CH4. The primary manmade methane came from agriculture. With the introduction of dry land rice cultivation, the amount of methane in the atmosphere had platued until the last two years.

As far as your Explorer goes, it would be nice if your next one was powered in a manner that did not contribute to atmospheric GHGs.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,024
    In the 1800's the US gvt, our Post Offices, tried to get Christmas cards banned as well...and actually, practicing the celebration of Christmas was not permitted early on in our government, congress worked every Christmas day until the mid 1800's i believe, or until it was made a federal holiday...