Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
These people are out of control... Everytime we take a dump we emit gases too!!!! I guess we need to stop going number 2.

If all of these people who believe the planet is more important than people would just kill themselves everyone would be happy... We could go on and live our lives and the dead bark humping weirdos would be happy too. Like this observation or not, it would be true.

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet | The Courier-Mail

Actually, that is the most logical of all the environuts claims. The lights are not that important but people use thousands per household many times, and most end up in the garbage right afterward, so yeah, they could build up. Then there is the almost forgotten light pollution (I miss the night sky with all the stars in it) and many others. If people would at least be moderate about it instead of going so overboard.

I don't know anyone who throws them away, they put the same lights up year after year and replace used bulbs as needed.

A cow emits 200-400 quarts of methane per day. An average cow lives about 5 years. That's 730,000 quarts of methane or 182,500 gallons of it. There are over 5 million cows on the planet. That's over 9 trillion gallons of methane over 5 years. And the very people who are blaming me for driving my Ford Explorer, are the ones who are flying back and forth in leer jets.

A cow emits 200-400 quarts of methane per day. An average cow lives about 5 years. That's 730,000 quarts of methane or 182,500 gallons of it. There are over 5 million cows on the planet. That's over 9 trillion gallons of methane over 5 years. And the very people who are blaming me for driving my Ford Explorer, are the ones who are flying back and forth in leer jets.

John Travolta has a 747 or somthing like that parked in his fucking liberal better than thou art driveway! Hypocrites. :lol:

These people are out of control... Everytime we take a dump we emit gases too!!!! I guess we need to stop going number 2.

If all of these people who believe the planet is more important than people would just kill themselves everyone would be happy... We could go on and live our lives and the dead bark humping weirdos would be happy too. Like this observation or not, it would be true.

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet | The Courier-Mail

From that site;
SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

CSIRO researchers said householders should know that each bulb turned on in the name of Christmas will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.

Dr Glenn Platt, who leads research on energy demand, said Australia got 80 per cent of its electricity by burning coal which pumps harmful emissions into the atmosphere.

He said: "Energy efficient bulbs, such as LEDs, and putting your Christmas lights on a timer are two very easy ways to minimise the amount of electricity you use to power your lights."

He said the nation's electricity came from "centralised carbon intensive, coal-based power stations" which were responsible for emitting over one third of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.

Dr Platt added: "For a zero-emission Christmas light show, you may consider using solar powered lights or sourcing your electricity from verified green power suppliers."

And two hundred years ago there were millions of buffalo, wildebeast, and caribou. No impact on atmospheric CH4. The primary manmade methane came from agriculture. With the introduction of dry land rice cultivation, the amount of methane in the atmosphere had platued until the last two years.

As far as your Explorer goes, it would be nice if your next one was powered in a manner that did not contribute to atmospheric GHGs.

In the 1800's the US gvt, our Post Offices, tried to get Christmas cards banned as well...and actually, practicing the celebration of Christmas was not permitted early on in our government, congress worked every Christmas day until the mid 1800's i believe, or until it was made a federal holiday...

THe celebration of Christmas was "permitted" it just wasn't observed by many thanks to our very Puritan roots.

Christmas has traditionally been a time of serious revelry and celebration...with little episodes here and there where nobody really celebrates it...as the winter solstice which has morphed into what it is now. It was the time when the bluebloods of England would open up their homes and serve grog and food to anyone who came in.

I just watched a show on the History Channel about it.

The show I watched said that Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" really brought Christmas to the fore...but the thing is, Dickens was writing, as he always did, about events, politics and society of the day.

So to say that he "created" traditional Christmas can't be accurate, as he was writing about the way it was celebrated by most, and castigating those who didn't appreciate it.

I don't know anyone who throws them away, they put the same lights up year after year and replace used bulbs as needed.

I am not sure, it may just be in certain areas, but when I pass by their homes for the first week after I see boxes of them by the curb for the garbage pickup. Hell ... if they can afford to toss them so much why not get candles?

You see, that's the whole point KMAN. I don't think these people are lying. Almost all of what we do is pretty detrimental to the earth. Is there a solution? Am I gonna stop using the computer, or live in a shack with no electricity? Well, no. Because the point is, that we're all fucked. And soon we'll all know just how fucked we are. *Shrugs*

= \

It's not that... It's just that there's so many of us doing so many things at the same time. I mean, think of all the candles you've ever bought or seen on a birthday cake or on whatever... and multiply it by 6 BILLION EVERY YEAR, just a constant stream of stuff being processed, made, burnt, used, thrown away... I mean, all that stuff is coming from somewhere and going somewhere. In nature nothing is every wasted. Everything is a closed system. But the human economy is just linear. Nature goes in and garbage comes out, and we're running out of nature, and piling up on garbage. It sucks, and I wish it wasn't like that. But it is.

In the 1800's the US gvt, our Post Offices, tried to get Christmas cards banned as well...and actually, practicing the celebration of Christmas was not permitted early on in our government, congress worked every Christmas day until the mid 1800's i believe, or until it was made a federal holiday...

:lol: And hasn't worked since.:lol:

Just another reason not to eat beef or cheese.

THe celebration of Christmas was "permitted" it just wasn't observed by many thanks to our very Puritan roots.

Christmas has traditionally been a time of serious revelry and celebration...with little episodes here and there where nobody really celebrates it...as the winter solstice which has morphed into what it is now. It was the time when the bluebloods of England would open up their homes and serve grog and food to anyone who came in.

I just watched a show on the History Channel about it.

Can I drop over for some grog?

Forum List

Back