Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I don't think kullyfornia can be considered the "Golden State" any longer. I think it's the "FUCKED UP" state, and soon could become nothing short of a war zone...

By Liz Goodwin

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’ - Yahoo! News

I remember the El Nino storms in 1982 to 1983. 25 inches fell on Santa Cruz in two days. 46 counties declared disaster areas. Then in 1997 48 counties declared disaster areas with another storm that dumped almost 30 inches at Blue Canyon.

There were lots of changes since 1861, including building on higher ground. In downtown Sacramento you can see the first floor of the older building while they are digging the foundation of newer buildings. Still about half the city is on the flood plane, if I remember the map correctly, my apartment complex on the border.

We will see what happens.

I don't think kullyfornia can be considered the "Golden State" any longer. I think it's the "FUCKED UP" state, and soon could become nothing short of a war zone...

By Liz Goodwin

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

I see the gleam in your eye.

By Liz Goodwin

California needs a good cleansing, of all the scum that inhabits it.

I feel sorry for the few good people that live there.

By Liz Goodwin

Pale Rider is what's wrong with our country, and he is too stupid to know it.

Sounds like somebody is trying to get more money by scaring people.

No, there is lots of evidence for the storms. They should build better, and out of flood plains obviously but they choose not to. This is something that happens in California a lot.

You pathetic little pile of dried up dog shit. You can't even offer reasoning with your tepid little insult and neg rep.

Fuck off moron.

Thanks for sharing Pale Rider, and for providing proof you're too stupid to understand my point.

al-gore-thumbs-up.jpg

By Liz Goodwin

See? A definite gleam....now tell us how a storm will clean out the "scum".....I'm all ears. (Assuming that Pale Rider doesn't live here...isn't the Scum already gone?)

Last edited:

You pathetic little pile of dried up dog shit. You can't even offer reasoning with your tepid little insult and neg rep.

Fuck off moron.

Thanks for sharing Pale Rider, and for providing proof you're too stupid to understand my point.

The only thing provided here pea brain is your continued fantasy. Say something worth while or shut your puss hole idiot.

You didn't like my comment about the scum in California, say why, don't just continue your jackass act. It's pathetic you ignorant wretch.

Last edited:

By Liz Goodwin

Wow!

You certainly are a winner, aren't you?

See? A definite gleam....now tell us how a storm will clean out the "scum".....I'm all ears. (Assuming that Pale Rider doesn't live here...isn't the Scum already gone?)

Not if you're there shit stain, and that's what I'm talking about. But we can throw in illegal aliens and politicians running the state that don't know shit, are afraid to admit what's really wrong with Cal, and all the fucking commie liberals there just for good measure. Sounds like one huge pile of SHIT to me, that needs CLEANING.

Sounds like somebody is trying to get more money by scaring people.

No, there is lots of evidence for the storms. They should build better, and out of flood plains obviously but they choose not to. This is something that happens in California a lot.

I saw the report a few days ago on the news, and heard what they were saying about needing more money to study the possible effects.

By Liz Goodwin

Yes, that is why you buy flood insurance.

Forum List

Back