Scientists vindicated in BP Gulf Oil Disaster

R

rdean

Microbes are Eating BP Oil Without Using up Oxygen

Government scientists studying the BP disaster are reporting the best possible outcome: microbes are consuming the oil in the Gulf without depleting the oxygen in the water and creating "dead zones" where fish cannot survive. Outside scientists said this so far vindicates the difficult and much-debated decision by BP and the government to use massive amounts of chemical dispersants deep underwater to break up the oil before it reached the surface. Oxygen levels in some places where the BP oil spilled are down by 20 percent, but that is not nearly low enough to create dead zones, according to the 95-page report released Tuesday. In an unusual move, BP released 771,000 gallons of chemical dispersant about a mile deep, right at the spewing wellhead instead of on the surface, to break down the oil into tiny droplets.

Louisiana State University researcher Ed Overton, who also was part of that meeting, said he feels vindicated. "Right now it looks like an incredibly good idea," he said. "It was a risky but necessary application. Damage was going to be done somewhere."

--------------------------

I thought the papers were saying is just "evaporated". Now we know 94% of the truth. I wonder what the other 6% is?

they were republicans.

the top 6% of scientists are republicans-everyone knows.

94% of scientists believe in evolution.
Link?

I was joking. I only said 94% because it left 6%.

The truth is that 97% of scientists believe in evolution:

528-64.gif

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: Section 5: Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

With the Internet and the Science channel, only an idiot could possibly believe it's less than 97%.

If you want to protect your "occult" beliefs, fine, but you can't possibly expect such learned people to believe nonsense like, "Mystical Creation".

Government scientists studying the BP disaster are reporting the best possible outcome: microbes are consuming the oil in the Gulf without depleting the oxygen in the water and creating "dead zones" where fish cannot survive. Outside scientists said this so far vindicates the difficult and much-debated decision by BP and the government to use massive amounts of chemical dispersants deep underwater to break up the oil before it reached the surface. Oxygen levels in some places where the BP oil spilled are down by 20 percent, but that is not nearly low enough to create dead zones, according to the 95-page report released Tuesday. In an unusual move, BP released 771,000 gallons of chemical dispersant about a mile deep, right at the spewing wellhead instead of on the surface, to break down the oil into tiny droplets.

Louisiana State University researcher Ed Overton, who also was part of that meeting, said he feels vindicated. "Right now it looks like an incredibly good idea," he said. "It was a risky but necessary application. Damage was going to be done somewhere."

I thought the papers were saying is just "evaporated". Now we know 94% of the truth. I wonder what the other 6% is?

They also got lucky with the currents at the time, that limited the spread towards the coastline. Dispersants helped with both biological breakdown and evaporation by increasing the overall surface area of the water/oil and oil/air interface. I guess all the skimming and burning of what did reach the surface helped as well.

Engineering (which this was) is not science, sometimes you make the wrong call, sometimes the right. This appears to be more right calls then wrong in the response.

I really don't see how it could have gone better short of being able to place a secure cap on the gusher right after the leak.

They also got lucky with the currents at the time, that limited the spread towards the coastline. Dispersants helped with both biological breakdown and evaporation by increasing the overall surface area of the water/oil and oil/air interface. I guess all the skimming and burning of what did reach the surface helped as well.

Engineering (which this was) is not science, sometimes you make the wrong call, sometimes the right. This appears to be more right calls then wrong in the response.

I really don't see how it could have gone better short of being able to place a secure cap on the gusher right after the leak.

Engineering is, "how to do it".

Science is "why do it at all".

they were republicans.

the top 6% of scientists are republicans-everyone knows.

94% of scientists believe in evolution.

So do most republicans despite your attempts to claim other wise.

The far right religious minority is just that. a MINORITY.

Just like the far left wackos in the DEM party are a MINORITY.

I'm just curious. Why would you believe that? I think it's been plenty plain what Republicans think. Especially considering the direction that political party has been heading for years. Are you sure you know what you need to know about that party? That's 92% of Republicans believe that evolution is a lie or that a magical spirit used evolution as a "tool" to make us.

080620Evolution_1_jdioodfoppgif.gif

Republicans, Democrats Differ on Creationism

Last edited by a moderator:
:offtopic:

Looks like their worst "disaster ever" claims were premature.... like most of the shit that rolls off the lips of Obama.

Im sure they are wishing that they could've found millions of dead fish and giant dead zones just to satisfy their need to bash fossil fuel and push thru cap and tax....

Oh, and RUSH WAS RIGHT :lol:

Forum List

Back