Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

"That wasn't a tapeworm."

I was speaking on behalf of people who trust in the global community level of research in all sorts of scientific fields. I do have the power to speak on the behalf of all of them. Want to see my card?

And wait a second. Are you just going to give me names of scientists who are particularly fond of which share your views(and maybe strengthen them for you), and expect me to somehow also believe that simply because I personally cannot dispute what they have to say?

I don't know anything about the guy you're speaking of. What kind of praises and criticisms does he get from the larger community of scientists in his field(s)?

Oh and Quantum Mechanics. That's a great one. Do you have any idea how many actual tangible scientific breakthroughs there which have been translated into actual real world technologies? Your life probably benefits from the theories of quantum mechanics.

Curiosity "10 Real-world Applications of Quantum Mechanics"

Answer your own question... on why you choose to believe him, compared to the other quantum physicists in the world. Since I personally lack the degrees and knowledge involved of things such as quantum mechanics and theoretical physics, I instead choose to read the musings and findings of scientists that corporations and governments choose. People who have been shown to be true powerhouses of their fields.

Here's why....surprised you missed this from the previous post:

"...cannot be seen, measured, assessed, or tested. Physicists have found it remarkably easy to pass from speculation to the conviction that said theories actually is."

Did you read and understand the various links and articles referenced in this thread re:Higgs boson?

Speculation.

Yet you 'trust in the global community level of research.'

I have no problem with you believing whatsoever you choose to.

Just don't think it is based on anything but the kind of belief in which religious folk engage.

So you're basically denying the existence of all the things we owe our thanks to quantum mechanics on? Transistors, lasers, quantum cryptopgraphy. THOSE THINGS EXIST, and they are thanks to quantum mechanics.

Sorry, but in terms of the type of belief your religious folk engage in, that is god literally giving man the power to conjure miracles. It's real, and it's tangible. Those theories have yielded us real world results and technologies.

Anouncer: It's a dead heat! They're checking the electron microscope. And the winner is... Number three in a quantum finish!

Professor Farnsworth: No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

em4f5.png

Sorry, but my lack of ability to understand the sciences on the level that the scientists do DOES NOT mean I do not lack an understanding of the theories themselves. I have a very good understanding of what the Higgs Boson represents and I'm very fascinated by quantum cryptography and quantum computers and have studied a great deal about them.

It's called having an educated opinion. You can have that without actually having degrees in the field.

Last edited:

I was speaking on behalf of people who trust in the global community level of research in all sorts of scientific fields. I do have the power to speak on the behalf of all of them. Want to see my card?

And wait a second. Are you just going to give me names of scientists who are particularly fond of which share your views(and maybe strengthen them for you), and expect me to somehow also believe that simply because I personally cannot dispute what they have to say?

I don't know anything about the guy you're speaking of. What kind of praises and criticisms does he get from the larger community of scientists in his field(s)?

Oh and Quantum Mechanics. That's a great one. Do you have any idea how many actual tangible scientific breakthroughs there which have been translated into actual real world technologies? Your life probably benefits from the theories of quantum mechanics.

Answer your own question... on why you choose to believe him, compared to the other quantum physicists in the world. Since I personally lack the degrees and knowledge involved of things such as quantum mechanics and theoretical physics, I instead choose to read the musings and findings of scientists that corporations and governments choose. People who have been shown to be true powerhouses of their fields.

"...cannot be seen, measured, assessed, or tested. Physicists have found it remarkably easy to pass from speculation to the conviction that said theories actually is."

Did you read and understand the various links and articles referenced in this thread re:Higgs boson?

Speculation.

Just don't think it is based on anything but the kind of belief in which religious folk engage.

You gotta have a fair amount of faith to spend the time and money that has gone into the project.

So you're basically denying the existence of all the things we owe our thanks to quantum mechanics on? Transistors, lasers, quantum cryptopgraphy. THOSE THINGS EXIST, and they are thanks to quantum mechanics.

Sorry, but in terms of the type of belief your religious folk engage in, that is god literally giving man the power to conjure miracles. It's real, and it's tangible. Those theories have yielded us real world results and technologies.

Anouncer: It's a dead heat! They're checking the electron microscope. And the winner is... Number three in a quantum finish!

em4f5.png

Sorry, but my lack of ability to understand the sciences on the level that the scientists do DOES NOT mean I do not lack an understanding of the theories themselves. I have a very good understanding of what the Higgs Boson represents and I'm very fascinated by quantum cryptography and quantum computers and have studied a great deal about them.

It's called having an educated opinion. You can have that without actually having degrees in the field.

"Sorry, but in terms of the type of belief your religious folk engage in,..."

Clearly you misunderstand from the other perspective, as well...

The religious guides have been tested far more than scientific facts have been.
And for a far greater period of time.

1. The Bible is the wisdom of the West. It is from the precepts of the Bible that the legal systems of the West have been developed- systems, worked out over millennia, for dealing with inequality, with injustice, with greed, reducible to that which Christians call the Golden Rule, and the Jews had propounded as “That which is hateful to you, don not do to your neighbor.” It is these rules and laws which form a framework which allows the individual foreknowledge of that which is permitted and that which is forbidden.
David Mamet, "The Secret Knowledge."

2. Dennis Prager, in "Still The Best Hope," has a similar view of the kinds of experimentation that has given us the guidance we call 'society:'

The written laws and rules are codifications of the unwritten ones worked out over millennia as the result of human interactions and experience.

So, in terms of validity, theology has a longer and better record than science.

3. One more correction: the motto of your avi is backwards.

Speculation.

You gotta have a fair amount of faith to spend the time and money that has gone into the project.

That's probably true.

And, so many grants and salaries are tied to one having the correct 'faith.'

Were cows made using quantum mechanics ? You're not getting the whole faith thingy are ya? Is that intentional ?

Hints of the Higgs boson detected last year by a US "atom smasher" have become even stronger, scientists have said.

The news comes amid fevered speculation about an announcement by researchers at the Large Hadron Collider on Wednesday.

Finding the particle would fill a glaring hole in the widely accepted theory of how the Universe works.

BBC News - US sees stronger hints of Higgs

Reagans ssc would have been three times as powerful as the haldron

The theory of its existence has been around for some time. Proof of its existence merely gives credence to calculations and computations. Next up- theories about the HB's action, interaction, purpose, and place in the scheme of the material universe.

To what end?

What was the use of investigating odd materials in 1948 called semi-conductors? That is part of the wonder of science. It is very hard to predict in advance where a bit of knowledge will lead.

1. The Bible is the wisdom of the West. It is from the precepts of the Bible that the legal systems of the West have been developed- systems, worked out over millennia, for dealing with inequality, with injustice, with greed, reducible to that which Christians call the Golden Rule, and the Jews had propounded as “That which is hateful to you, don not do to your neighbor.” It is these rules and laws which form a framework which allows the individual foreknowledge of that which is permitted and that which is forbidden.

2. Dennis Prager, in "Still The Best Hope," has a similar view of the kinds of experimentation that has given us the guidance we call 'society:'

The written laws and rules are codifications of the unwritten ones worked out over millennia as the result of human interactions and experience.

Are you fucking joking? The Bible is not the "Wisdom of the West". Modern western culture is influenced by a great deal of things that have absolutely no basis on the Bible. Same thing goes with our judicial system. What, you think that swearing on the bible is somehow what gives you claim to say that our judicial system is based off the bible?

What, do you think the ten commandments are somehow an influence on our judicial system? Even if they were, the ten commandments and everything in the bible is just ripped off from previous civilizations and religions. Eye for an eye? The golden rule? Yeah. All those things predate the bible... from other cultures and other religions. Many of the stories in the bible are ripoffs of other religions.

And please, don't even fucking get me started on the awful shit that the bible has done for history and mankind, particularly in its heyday. Our legal system is mostly based off of cultures like the Romans and Greeks, along with some of that of the bible.

But again, what the fuck is the point of any of this we're discussing? You're talking about a religious book that people believe is the divine, infallible word of god(which is why they choose to ignore most parts of it... heh). The bible has not been a major influence on our government for quite some time.

You really think virgin births and split personality god(s) and heaven and hell and rebirth and rapture like end times originated with the bible? Fucking please.

Last edited:
Hints of the Higgs boson detected last year by a US "atom smasher" have become even stronger, scientists have said.

The news comes amid fevered speculation about an announcement by researchers at the Large Hadron Collider on Wednesday.

Finding the particle would fill a glaring hole in the widely accepted theory of how the Universe works.

BBC News - US sees stronger hints of Higgs

"As a general explanation, arguments follow from assumptions, and assumptions follow from beliefs, and very rarely- perhaps never- do beliefs reflect an agenda determined entirely by the facts. No less than the doctrines of religious belief, the doctrines of quantum cosmology are what they seem: biased, partial, inconclusive, and largely in the service of passionate but unexamined conviction.

Quantum cosmology is a branch of mathematical metaphysics that provides no cause for the emergence of the universe, the ‘how,’ nor reason thereof, the ‘why.’ If the mystification induced by its mathematics were removed from the subject, what remains would appear remarkably similar to the various creation myths in which the origin of the universe is attributed to sexual congress between primordial deities."
Berlinski, "The Devil's Delusion."

Science is not supposed to provide a 'cause'. Or a reason. It uses a methodology to observe from verifible facts what exists. We understand much of evolution from observations from scientists of Darwin's time, to the present scientists working on genetics. It does not need a Diety, the workings of nature are adaquete to create what we see.

If you wish to ascribe to Diety any thing that you do not understand, that is fine. Just do not expect the rest of us to share in your delusions.

Are you fucking joking? The Bible is not the "Wisdom of the West". Modern western culture is influenced by a great deal of things that have absolutely no basis on the Bible. Same thing goes with our judicial system. What, you think that swearing on the bible is somehow what gives you claim to say that our judicial system is based off the bible?

What, do you think the ten commandments are somehow an influence on our judicial system? Even if they were, the ten commandments and everything in the bible is just ripped off from previous civilizations and religions. Eye for an eye? The golden rule? Yeah. All those things predate the bible... from other cultures and other religions. Many of the stories in the bible are ripoffs of other religions.

And please, don't even fucking get me started on the awful shit that the bible has done for history and mankind, particularly in its heyday. Our legal system is mostly based off of cultures like the Romans and Greeks, along with some of that of the bible.

But again, what the fuck is the point of any of this we're discussing? You're talking about a religious book that people believe is the divine, infallible word of god(which is why they choose to ignore most parts of it... heh). The bible has not been a major influence on our government for quite some time.

You really think virgin births and split personality god(s) and heaven and hell and rebirth and rapture like end times originated with the bible? Fucking please.

You're not serious.....are you?

The point is that the science you choose to believe is based as much on faith as religion is.

As you've clearly been immersed in the secular propaganda too long...and there is hardly ant hope that you can think for yourself any longer...

...still...try this: where did the material that supposedly came into existence after the 'big bang' come from?

Bet you have 'faith' that science can answer that....

As an aside....Kenneth Miller, professor of biology at Brown, has written in “Finding Darwin's God,” that a belief in evolution is compatible with a belief in God. Francis Sellers Collins , physician-geneticist, noted for his discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the Human Genome Project (HG) has written a book about his Christian faith. Then there was Stephen Jay Gould, paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and historian of science, who said that "science and religion do not glower at each other…” but, rather, represent Non-overlapping magisteria. (above from Wikipedia). And Einstein: Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

I'm sure you find cows smarter than these guys....

"As a general explanation, arguments follow from assumptions, and assumptions follow from beliefs, and very rarely- perhaps never- do beliefs reflect an agenda determined entirely by the facts. No less than the doctrines of religious belief, the doctrines of quantum cosmology are what they seem: biased, partial, inconclusive, and largely in the service of passionate but unexamined conviction.

Quantum cosmology is a branch of mathematical metaphysics that provides no cause for the emergence of the universe, the ‘how,’ nor reason thereof, the ‘why.’ If the mystification induced by its mathematics were removed from the subject, what remains would appear remarkably similar to the various creation myths in which the origin of the universe is attributed to sexual congress between primordial deities."

Science is not supposed to provide a 'cause'. Or a reason. It uses a methodology to observe from verifible facts what exists. We understand much of evolution from observations from scientists of Darwin's time, to the present scientists working on genetics. It does not need a Diety, the workings of nature are adaquete to create what we see.

If you wish to ascribe to Diety any thing that you do not understand, that is fine. Just do not expect the rest of us to share in your delusions.

"It uses a methodology to observe from verifible facts what exists."

From speculation to belief. Some call it 'faith.'

The point is that the science you choose to believe is based as much on faith as religion is.

As you've clearly been immersed in the secular propaganda too long...and there is hardly ant hope that you can think for yourself any longer...

...still...try this: where did the material that supposedly came into existence after the 'big bang' come from?

As an aside....Kenneth Miller, professor of biology at Brown, has written in “Finding Darwin's God,” that a belief in evolution is compatible with a belief in God. Francis Sellers Collins , physician-geneticist, noted for his discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the Human Genome Project (HG) has written a book about his Christian faith. Then there was Stephen Jay Gould, paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and historian of science, who said that "science and religion do not glower at each other…” but, rather, represent Non-overlapping magisteria. (above from Wikipedia). And Einstein: Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Again, the difference is a willingness to entertain the notion that we may find answers we hadn't expected after the experimentation has been done, and then we can appropriately adjust based on the findings. Nothing in the theoretical science world is set in stone, hence the theoretical aspect of it.

Are you trying to tell me that your religion is only theoretical in your mind? I have a hard time imagining that you'd be willing to go there. :lol:

You can try to make your point till you're blue in the face, it isn't going to make it correct. :thup:

"It uses a methodology to observe from verifible facts what exists."

From speculation to belief. Some call it 'faith.'

So just a quick question for you.

Do you know for a fact 2+2=4, or do you just believe it?

Had science-hating Democrats not killed Reagan's SSC in 1993, we would be decades ahead of these discoveries

Again, the difference is a willingness to entertain the notion that we may find answers we hadn't expected after the experimentation has been done, and then we can appropriately adjust based on the findings. Nothing in the theoretical science world is set in stone, hence the theoretical aspect of it.

Are you trying to tell me that your religion is only theoretical in your mind? I have a hard time imagining that you'd be willing to go there. :lol:

You can try to make your point till you're blue in the face, it isn't going to make it correct. :thup:

1. Sure it's correct.

If fact, I believe you agreed with it in an earlier post.

Here it is again: when dealing with what you called 'theoretical' aspects of science, faith is the vehicle more frequently than empirical evidence, as most is not observable.

a. Evolution is a prime example. There is exhibit A, and Exhibit Z....you have faith that B through Y existed, or do exist, or, actually, may only exist in your imagination....yet you have no problem assuming the entire progression.

Now, your faith in the structure is no problem for me....but you have the arrogance of your side is you aren't satisfied that we of faith don't agree with you.

I wonder why you folks are so insecure....

2. Not only have I never claimed that science and theology are the same, but I posted this earlier: " Then there was Stephen Jay Gould, paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and historian of science, who said that "science and religion do not glower at each other…” but, rather, represent Non-overlapping magisteria. "

Do you understand "Non-overlapping magisteria"?

'Non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) is the view advocated by Stephen Jay Gould that science and religion each have "a legitimate magisterium, or domain of teaching authority," and these two domains do not overlap.'
Non-overlapping magisteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. An interesting question, one which I believe separates us, is which is the more essential domain for society.

No, one is clearly testable, and makes predictions. The other tells stories that we know are false.

Every single electronic device you use is derived from quantum mechanics. Without an understanding in quantum mechanics first, it would never have been possible to invent the microchip. If our understanding of QM had been wrong, the microchip would never have worked.

If general relativity had been wrong, GPS satellites would not work, instead they are accurate to 2 nanoseconds (a nanosecond is a billionth of a second). This was understood BEFORE the satellites were put into orbit, and worked flawlessly.

You see how science makes predictions on the future, and they work? When has your religion every predicted anything?

Forum List

Back