Scientists Get Closer To Cancer Vaccine

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by auditor0007, Jun 20, 2011.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I have said for years that if they are ever to find a "cure" for cancer that it will be with something that boosts the immune system to do the job that it is supposed to. Whether that ever proves to be correct will only be seen in time, but this research looks very promising to me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Naked mole rat may have clue to cancer cure...
    :confused:
    Scientists Study Cancer-Resistant Rat For Clues on Cancer Cure
    July 07, 2011 : Scientists at Britain’s University of Liverpool are hoping to learn more about age-related illness and cancer in humans by studying the genes of a small, burrow-dwelling rodent called a naked mole-rat that somehow is resistant to cancer.

3. cielo42

cielo42 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's pretty incredible

4. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Makes sense because everybody naturally has cancerous cells in their bodies, but their immune systems attacks and kills them. Its only when the immune system fails to kill them and they grow out of control into detectable levels do we call it "having cancer".

5. ShackledNation

ShackledNation Libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    As I understand, cancer is difficult to "cure" because it is caused by mutations of certain genes in our cells. I forget the specific names, but each cell has a gene on its DNA that tells it to stop multiplying. A cancerous cell is one in which that gene no longer activates.

I don't know if you can really vaccinate against it (to me a vaccine sounds more like prevention of infection from a bacteria or virus). But if you develop a type of gene therapy or get the body to attack cancerous cells and recognize them, that would definitely serve the same function.

Cancer killed half my grandparents. Another had it but survived because it was caught early. It's in my blood to get it, so I hope a cure comes around for the sake of my family and everyone else who may get afflicted with it.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    A couple of friends are on the leading edge of this stuff with Lilly. There's some amazing stuff on the horizon.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,799
    Wonderful, if true. And since there are vaccines against cervical cancer it sounds doable.

I wonder if this means we will be allowed to smoke in bars again?

8. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It is extremely unlikely that we will ever have a "vaccine for cancer," since cancer is not one disease but a general description for many diseases which share a few key characteristics.

FYI this is a debatable theory, not fact. When cells become old or damaged, they die (ie on their own, not killed by the immune system) and are replaced with new cells. But sometimes DNA of a cell can become damaged or changed, producing mutations that affect normal cell growth and division. When this happens, cells do not die when they should and new cells form when the body does not need them.

Correct. The word "vaccine" was used improperly in the article. But you can call it whatever you want if it works :cool:

Actually, there are vaccines against the infection that causes cancer. Net effect is the same, but a significant difference

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Progress towards anti-cancer vaccine...
    :cool:
    'Anti-cancer virus' shows promise
    31 August 2011 - Modified vaccinia virus can target cancer

10. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Cancer is so "difficult" because it is so broad. There are three trillion cells in the adult human body. Any one of them can become cancerous (obviously some are more prone then others). Furthermore, there are (I could only guess) millions of cell lineages each spawning a different type of cancer. If a cell from peripheral lung tissue becomes oncogenic it becomes adenocarcinoma of the lungs with is completely different in it's behavior and treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the lungs that originate from the bronchial tree with is completely different from leukemias that arise from white blood cells and so on and so on.

There are just so many different flavors of cancer, it is hard to imagine any single "cure" that would address all of them.

This is why I always get a laugh out of people that claim that MJ is some sort of miracle cancer drug.

At any rate, I found this:

New leukemia treatment exceeds 'wildest expectations' - Health - Cancer - msnbc.com

To be fascinating.