Scientists discover way to turn CO2 back into coal!

How about aiming that crap out of the galaxy, hmm?

... As for out of the galaxy, that would take a couple hundred thousand years.

This could be the plot for a great sci-fi movie. The missile carrying deadly nuclear waste eventually hits a world inhabited by an advanced civilization, who have ships capable of travelling at faster than light (FTL) speeds, and therefore, capable of time travel. They interpret the missile as a first-strike attack, originating from Earth circa 2028. Uncertain of what may come next in our attack that was initiated several millennia ago, they proceed to send an armada of ships back in time to 1996 to wipe us out preemptively, before we ever start the attack. In the process of researching the humans in the geographic area from which the missile was launched, they observe an annual ritual in which humans launched smaller explosives into the sky, as if to foreshadow and celebrate the attack. Therefore, they decide to coordinate their 1996 invasion of earth on the date of that annual ritual.

I've always thought that sending the waste into space seemed like a good option. Of course, the danger of a Challenger-like accident on a vehicle transporting nuclear waste might be too great for such a solution.
Right and right. So we will need a space elevator. And then just shoot it into the sun.

There could never be any unintended consequences from doing that, amirite? :rolleyes:

You know, like a SuperNova or something? :eek:

No, the sun wouldn't even notice if we actually managed to hit it. I mean, the entire thing is one gigantic hydrogen bomb constantly exploding, so a few tons of mildly radioactive material would just be incinerated. The bigger problem is actually hitting the sun, because of our orbital speed. Shoot at the sun and you just put it into its own orbit and hope it doesn't intersect ours. As for out of the galaxy, that would take a couple hundred thousand years.

This could be the plot for a great sci-fi movie. The missile carrying deadly nuclear waste eventually hits a world inhabited by an advanced civilization, who have ships capable of travelling at faster than light (FTL) speeds, and therefore, capable of time travel. They interpret the missile as a first-strike attack, originating from Earth circa 2028. Uncertain of what may come next in our attack that was initiated several millennia ago, they proceed to send an armada of ships back in time to 1996 to wipe us out preemptively, before we ever start the attack. In the process of researching the humans in the geographic area from which the missile was launched, they observe an annual ritual in which humans launched smaller explosives into the sky, as if to foreshadow and celebrate the attack. Therefore, they decide to coordinate their 1996 invasion of earth on the date of that annual ritual.

You know?..That's not bad! :2up:

You know?..That's not bad! :2up:

As I was writing it, I started to see it as a prequel to Independence Day, lol. I have watched practically every sci-fi movie/TV show ever made, even the modern stuff on obscure web-networks like Rooster Teeth. I end up processing most of the day to day stuff I see in the media into a sci-fi movie plot.

Last edited:

... As for out of the galaxy, that would take a couple hundred thousand years.

July 4, 1996..Oh! I know where they got the sound for them roving things for that movie.

Could this tech actually pay for it's self by reusing the resultant solid for other things?

Not now, because there's no free lunch, energy-wise.

Turning the carbon into CO2 released energy.

Turning the CO2 back to carbon requires energy input.

As the grid is currently largely fossil-fuel powered, that means we would be burning fossil fuel to make fossil fuel. As there are losses in the process, that's a big net loss.

In some utopian situation where fusion power gives unlimited carbon-free energy, the process might be useful on a large scale. We are not in such a utopian scenario now.

That multi-Trillion dollar technology won't be used for 'taking out the trash'.
Well, we're spending $100 bil on Yucca Mountain just to store a small portion of the already existing nuclear waste of just one country. And we're proposing large scale production of new waste worlwide, when we talk about "going nuclear". So that solution will eventually be on the table. "Multi-trillion" won't quite be the obstacle you might think.

I'll take the under on your "hundreds of years", too.
Hey Fort fun. Have you been to that theatre that cold water sound did recently revamped? I saw Antrax there last summer. Then I went up to that bar downtown that has the boat rides. There is a lot to do in Fort Wayne for such a small city! Are you familiar with these to venues?
Absolutely. You are talking about the Clyde theater. That is the baby project of a good friend of mine, who was funded by the owner of Sweetwater sound.

I will be attending the Los lobos show there, soon.

Well, we're spending $100 bil on Yucca Mountain just to store a small portion of the already existing nuclear waste of just one country. And we're proposing large scale production of new waste worlwide, when we talk about "going nuclear". So that solution will eventually be on the table. "Multi-trillion" won't quite be the obstacle you might think.

It appears you missed the point of my previous post (#8) where I outlined the nuclear reactor tech being implemented that uses existing nuclear waste. You even responded to that post by extracting one sentence about the comparative waste by-products between coal and nuclear, saying you weren't aware of any use for nuclear waste -- which was specifically addressed by the first sentence (and link) of my post, and the sentence immediately after the one you quoted. I skim posts too, so I'll assume that's what happened, but you should check that stuff out. It's a really fascinating solution to the problems you're describing here, which have long been the concerns associated with nuclear power.
I will check it out, thanks!

Hey Fort fun. Have you been to that theatre that cold water sound did recently revamped? I saw Antrax there last summer. Then I went up to that bar downtown that has the boat rides. There is a lot to do in Fort Wayne for such a small city! Are you familiar with these to venues?
Absolutely. You are talking about the Clyde theater. That is the baby project of a good friend of mine, who was funded by the owner of Sweetwater sound.

It was a realy nice venue. As big as the New Port in Columbus and way cleaner and nicer. You have one of the nicer eagles or moose with the bowling alley in it also. I can't remember which it was. I drank quite a bit that night. I am sure I will see a couple shows there this summer. I like to go to Greek festival there also. Nice little city, I like it there. I have a buddy that knows how to be the ninth caller he wins over 100 free tickets a year on those radio call in shows. I will let you know when I go to a show there and I will buy you a beer while I am in town.

It was a realy nice venue. As big as the New Port in Columbus and way cleaner and nicer. You have one of the nicer eagles or moose with the bowling alley in it also. I can't remember which it was. I drank quite a bit that night. I am sure I will see a couple shows there this summer. I like to go to Greek festival there also. Nice little city, I like it there. I have a buddy that knows how to be the ninth caller he wins over 100 free tickets a year on those radio call in shows. I will let you know when I go to a show there and I will buy you a beer while I am in town.
Sounds good! I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but the minor league baseball field here is a must-see.

Sounds good! I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but the minor league baseball field here is a must-see.
Oh ya, big baseball fan!

Oh ya, big baseball fan!
Well I promise you it's worth the trip to the minor league field here for a game.

The libs think excess man-made CO2 leads to climate change and cause the end of the world.
it does lead to climate change. That's a known fact. And nobody is saying it's going to cause the end of the world.

You didn't see the ABC documentary on how the world ends?

Then why worry about warming/climate change? Don't worry, be happy. Or is it in your case be hoppy? Or be hempy?

No, and i can absolutely guarantee you didn't watch a single second of it, either. But I imagine I am about to be treated to some strong opinions of it by you anyway, which you grifted from whatever religious, right-wing-mental-patient blog you were facebook-fed that one time.

Then why worry about warming/climate change?
Because,unlike you fundamental religious freaks who think you are just here place holding until you get to go to the magical sky daddy forever-young day care, some of us care about the well being of humans and future humans.

Oh ya, big baseball fan!
Well I promise you it's worth the trip to the minor league field here for a game.
I will check that out when I get that way. That is one venue I did not know about.

Looks like science is doing there job to bail us out of a mess! We now have cheap scalable tech to turn carbon dioxide gas back into a solid. This combined with recent tech advancemnts in Fusion reactors may bail us out of a warming earth and actually may even make the use of coal viable again. Again we may have much less to argue over! Could this tech actually pay for it's self by reusing the resultant solid for other things? If so how quickly can we deploy it and is there a consensus to spead this deployment up?

Climate rewind: Scientists turn carbon dioxide back into coal: New technique can efficiently convert CO<sub>2</sub> from gas into solid particles of carbon
Scientists turn CO2 ‘back into coal’ in breakthrough carbon capture experiment
Scientists turn carbon dioxide into coal at room temperature | Cosmos

Scientists Have Figured Out How to Turn CO2 Into Solid Rock Within Months
Climate rewind: Scientists turn carbon dioxide back into coal: New technique can efficiently convert CO<sub>2</sub> from gas into solid particles of carbon
Scientists use liquid metals to turn carbon dioxide gas back into coal

Nice. But worse than a perpetuum mobile.
Actually, energy is energy is energy.
The molecular binding energy that is released during oxidation of carbon has to be introduced to crack that open again. Plus some anergy, transfer losses etc.
A catalyst does not reduce that, except of the starting temperature. That's basic thermodynamics.

You can easily reduce CO2 by blowing it on 2000°C hot burning Aluminium powder. The Al takes the oxygen. It works. Only it is not really useful.

No, and i can absolutely guarantee you didn't watch a single second of it, either. But I imagine I am about to be treated to some strong opinions of it by you anyway, which you grifted from whatever religious, right-wing-mental-patient blog you were facebook-fed that one time.

Then why worry about warming/climate change?
Because,unlike you fundamental religious freaks who think you are just here place holding until you get to go to the magical sky daddy forever-young day care, some of us care about the well being of humans and future humans.

So fuck everybody today, to coddle those who may or may not be here in the future.

BRILLIANT_.jpg

Forum List

Back