Scientists discover way to turn CO2 back into coal!

evenflow1969

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2016
Ohio
Looks like science is doing there job to bail us out of a mess! We now have cheap scalable tech to turn carbon dioxide gas back into a solid. This combined with recent tech advancemnts in Fusion reactors may bail us out of a warming earth and actually may even make the use of coal viable again. Again we may have much less to argue over! Could this tech actually pay for it's self by reusing the resultant solid for other things? If so how quickly can we deploy it and is there a consensus to spead this deployment up?

Climate rewind: Scientists turn carbon dioxide back into coal: New technique can efficiently convert CO<sub>2</sub> from gas into solid particles of carbon
Scientists turn CO2 ‘back into coal’ in breakthrough carbon capture experiment
Scientists turn carbon dioxide into coal at room temperature | Cosmos

Scientists Have Figured Out How to Turn CO2 Into Solid Rock Within Months
Climate rewind: Scientists turn carbon dioxide back into coal: New technique can efficiently convert CO<sub>2</sub> from gas into solid particles of carbon
Scientists use liquid metals to turn carbon dioxide gas back into coal

Last edited:
Looks like science is doing there job to bail us out of a mess! We now have cheap scalable tech to turn carbon dioxide gas back into a solid. This combined with recent tech advancemnts in Fusion reactors may bail us out of a warming earth and actually may even make the use of coal viable again. Again we may have much less to argue over! Could this tech actually pay for it's self by reusing the resultant solid for other things? If so how quickly can we deploy it and is there a consensus to spead this deployment up?
Good but until shit starts hitting the fan you won’t get enough backing for it.

Good but until shit starts hitting the fan you won’t get enough backing for it.
From what I understand it turns it back in to coal. This could actually be proffitable to deploy, if it actually profitable I can not see any reason any one would be against it. This will not only work on man made co2 but also on natural causes of the gas.

Liquid metal? Like mercury?
Mercury is a deadly poison.

Perhaps if we didn't burn coal?

It does not say what metal is used in what I had read, but it is supposed to be safe. We will see, hopefully this is the case. I would sure like to see it in action. Any way you look at it there is hope! We could use as much of that as possible these days! Do you not agree?

From the sciencedaily article: "To convert CO2, the researchers designed a liquid metal catalyst with specific surface properties that made it extremely efficient at conducting electricity while chemically activating the surface."

A better option is already being developed : improved technology for fast-neutron nuclear reactors, which utilize nuclear recycling, producing power from existing nuclear waste (currently being implemented in Eurpope, and the forthcoming updated PRISM reactors in the U.S.).

Fast Neutron Reactors | FBR - World Nuclear Association

Nuclear power is already far superior to coal from a waste product perspective. A nuclear power station producing 1000MW of power produces approximately 20-30 metric tons of waste annually. The equivalent power output from a coal plant produces that same amount of waste product per hour (in the form of ash, consisting of toxic chemicals such as arsenic, boron, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, copper, lead, mercury, molybdenum, selenium, thallium and uranium).

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

In other words, a coal plant produces 10,000 times more waste per megawatt of energy produced than nuclear power. The ability to recycle that nuclear waste to produce continued power skews that ratio even further in favor of nuclear power. The entire U.S. electrical grid could be powered for almost 100 years by the energy in the existing nuclear waste in the U.S.

Last edited:
In other words, a coal plant produces 10,000 times more waste per megawatt of energy produced than nuclear power.
Yep. But the hitch is that 10 years worth of it isn't all stored in a few barrels. So we need a good nuke waste solution. The existing nuke waste is not useful for nuke plants, as far as I know.

In other words, a coal plant produces 10,000 times more waste per megawatt of energy produced than nuclear power.
Yep. But the hitch is that 10 years worth of it isn't all stored in a few barrels. So we need a good nuke waste solution. The existing nuke waste is not useful for nuke plants, as far as I know.

I've always thought that sending the waste into space seemed like a good option. Of course, the danger of a Challenger-like accident on a vehicle transporting nuclear waste might be too great for such a solution.

I've always thought that sending the waste into space seemed like a good option. Of course, the danger of a Challenger-like accident on a vehicle transporting nuclear waste might be too great for such a solution.
Right and right. So we will need a space elevator. And then just shoot it into the sun.

Gallium. Nontoxic.

It would be... what do the libs call it? Sustainable.

Downside is taxes.

ETA: "Carbon sequestration, the act of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and locking it away is a growing field aimed at mitigating climate change. Major oil and gas companies, like Shell, are spending billions of dollars to develop carbon sequestration plants that store CO2 in porous reservoirs within Earth. However, this approach is expensive as it requires CO2 to be compressed into liquid form and injected into rock formations within Earth. Due to cost, this approach is not economically viable without heavy subsidies and/or a carbon tax to help offset costs."

Scientists Just Pulled CO2 From Air And Turned It Into Coal

Last edited:

Might as well burn it, we can't eat it.
I vote we do it at your place, then. :)

I pay to live in a nice neighborhood so I don't have to. If you don't like coal being burned in your neighborhood, move.

tiny-home-on-trailer.jpg

I pay to live in a nice neighborhood so I don't have to. If you don't like coal being burned in your neighborhood, move.
Exactly. I'm moving the coal burning to your place. That's easier than all the rest of us here moving, and it's also appropriate and fitting, since it is you insisting that it be burned.

Exactly. I'm moving the coal burning to your place. That's easier than all the rest of us here moving, and it's also appropriate and fitting, since it is you insisting that it be burned.

Sure, go ahead.
Deal! Or I could just watch the coal industry 'move itself' into extinction. Decisions...

Forum List

Back