Scientists Discover Evolutionary Advantage For Homosexuality

orogenicman

Darwin was a pastafarian
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not gay, but I have often agreed that it is not only common in many species, but is a heritable trait, and not simply learned.

Scientists Discover Evolutionary Advantage For Homosexuality IFLScience

It’s an evolutionary paradox that’s frustratingly difficult for biologists to explain, but researchers may have just found a benefit conferred by homosexual sex that could offer an explanation as to why this behavior has persevered, at least in one species. According to a new study in fruit flies, not only does same-sex sexual behavior seem to be heritable, but females with a genetic makeup associated with this trait actually display higher reproductive rates, which is an evolutionary advantage. These fascinating findings have been published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

I'm not gay either and don't feel threatened by it.

For as long as there has been life, there has been homosexuality. I can't say I understand it but I do accept that it exists.

Although I have gay friends, it doesn't touch me in any personal way so I just mind my own business and accept them as they are.

Basically, is just no big deal.

I'm not gay, but I have often agreed that it is not only common in many species, but is a heritable trait, and not simply learned.

It’s an evolutionary paradox that’s frustratingly difficult for biologists to explain, but researchers may have just found a benefit conferred by homosexual sex that could offer an explanation as to why this behavior has persevered, at least in one species. According to a new study in fruit flies, not only does same-sex sexual behavior seem to be heritable, but females with a genetic makeup associated with this trait actually display higher reproductive rates, which is an evolutionary advantage. These fascinating findings have been published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

May not be gay, though I think you're a bit homophobic if you're worrying about people on a discussion site thinking you are.

May not be gay, though I think you're a bit homophobic if you're worrying about people on a discussion site thinking you are.

If I was worried about what others though, I wouldn't have bothered posting it in the first place.

Animals turn gay when there are no other options, typical males who have no access to females because they're all having sex with the alpha male.

Forum List

Back