Science under attack in Texas

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
The Texas Board of Education will vote this week on a new science curriculum designed to challenge the guiding principle of evolution, a step that could influence what is taught in biology classes across the nation.

The proposed curriculum change would prompt teachers to raise doubts that all life on Earth is descended from common ancestry. Texas is such a huge textbook market that many publishers write to the state's standards, then market those books nationwide.

"This is the most specific assault I've seen against evolution and modern science," said Steven Newton, a project director at the National Center for Science Education, which promotes teaching of evolution.

Texas school board chairman Don McLeroy also sees the curriculum as a landmark -- but a positive one.

Dr. McLeroy believes that God created the earth less than 10,000 years ago. If the new curriculum passes, he says he will insist that high-school biology textbooks point out specific aspects of the fossil record that, in his view, undermine the theory that all life on Earth is descended from primitive scraps of genetic material that first emerged in the primordial muck about 3.9 billion years ago.

He also wants the texts to make the case that individual cells are far too complex to have evolved by chance mutation and natural selection, an argument popular with those who believe an intelligent designer created the universe.

The textbooks will "have to say that there's a problem with evolution -- because there is," said Dr. McLeroy, a dentist. "We need to be honest with the kids."

The vast majority of scientists accept evolution as the best explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

Yes, they say, there are unanswered questions -- transitional fossils yet to be unearthed, biological processes still to be discovered. There is lively scientific debate about some aspects of evolution's winding, four-billion-year path. But when critics talk about exposing students to the "weaknesses" or "insufficiencies" in evolutionary theory, many mainstream scientists cringe.

The fossil record clearly supports evolution, they say, and students shouldn't be exposed to creationist critiques in the name of "critical thinking."

"We will be teaching nonsense in the science classroom," said David Hillis, a biology professor at the University of Texas at Austin. ...

Texas School Board Set to Vote on Challenge to Evolution - WSJ.com

Dr. McLeroy believes that God created the earth less than 10,000 years ago.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7fbcfe4b94284f44112415e058b927-1.gif

Last edited:
Most of the time when creationists think they're criticizing evolution, they're actually criticizing abiogenesis. Though it's really quite funny that they think intelligent design is a more reasonable explanation for the origin of life.

Actually, if the term "creationism" was properly used, I'd be all for it! Creation WAS done:

Man created God in his own image, not the other way around. But it wasn't "Intelligently Designed!"

I have one question. If man created God in his own image, then man also wrote the Ten Commandments. Who were these men who created this God? Were they the peasants or the rulers? I would assume it had to be those who had some form of power. They must have been educated, and they surely served their rulers, unless of course it was the rulers themselves.

So my question is this. Why did they give all the working stiffs a day off? Did they really believe everyone deserved one vacation day per week?

I have one question. If man created God in his own image, then man also wrote the Ten Commandments. Who were these men who created this God? Were they the peasants or the rulers? I would assume it had to be those who had some form of power. They must have been educated, and they surely served their rulers, unless of course it was the rulers themselves.

So my question is this. Why did they give all the working stiffs a day off? Did they really believe everyone deserved one vacation day per week?
Man began creating God in his own image as soon as he was self-aware and could create. "God" in this context is any deity, any supreme being. Not just the brand new, Christian one.

Brand new in this context is, the timeline of its existence on a bar showing the history of man is about as big as the period at the end of this sentence. It's new.

The history of working hours in society is very, very interesting.

Eight Hour Day

In this Victoria, our dear land,
The first that dared be free,
To show the world what freedom meant
In new lands 'cross the sea
- Ode to the Eight Hours' Pioneers
Hamilton Mackinnon
April 21, 1896

2006 marks the 150th anniversary of the Eight Hour Day in Victoria. Action taken by stonemasons on 21 April 1856 led to the establishment and maintenance of the Eight Hour Day, recognised internationally as a world first.

The Eight Hour Day became a symbol of the rights of workers to organise to achieve their rights not only as workers, but as citizens in a democratic society.

The timing of this anniversary could not be more appropriate, given the emerging debate about contemporary work issues such as working hours and work/life balance.

Eight Hour Day

god loves texas...

Now that song is going to be ripping around in my head :lol:

I've seen a lot of places
I've been around the world
I've seen some pretty faces
Been with some beautiful girls
But after all I've witnessed one thing still amazes me
Just like a miracle you have to see to believe

'Cause God blessed Texas with His own hand
Brought down angels from the promised land
Gave 'em a place where they could dance
If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance
I've been sent to spread the message
God blessed Texas

First He lit sunshine
Then He made the waters deep
Then He gave us moonlight
For all the world to see
Well everybody knows that the Lord works in mysterious ways
He took a rest then on the very next day

God blessed Texas with His own hand
I've been sent to spread the message
God blessed Texas

God blessed Texas with His own hand
Well I've been sent to spread the message
God blessed Texas

God blessed Texas
Mmm...God blessed Texas

To be sung before every biology lesson in Texas :lol:

God does love Texas-----I'm sure science can handle an "attack" on it's omnipotency. They are always proven right about everything until the next theory comes out but that's science too. :lol:

Why would you think it was the "rulers" that created God? Most religions are started by someone that is convinced of the truth of his or her vision and has the charisma to convince others of that "truth."

Forcing your religious beliefs down everyone's throat at the expense of well founded and respected (scientific) theory is everything that is worst about Christianity and some who call themselves Christians.

Actually, if the term "creationism" was properly used, I'd be all for it! Creation WAS done:

Man created God in his own image, not the other way around. But it wasn't "Intelligently Designed!"

They didn't give them a day off.

They gave them a day when they had to be indoctinated by the priestly class and shaken down for GOD.

Why would you think it was the "rulers" that created God? Most religions are started by someone that is convinced of the truth of his or her vision and has the charisma to convince others of that "truth."

Shitty people took a good spiritual concept and used it to their advantage-----doesn't mean that the spiritual concept of Christianlty isn't sound. This wacko doesnt' speak for the entire Christian world, btw.

The Texas Board of Education will vote this week on a new science curriculum designed to challenge the guiding principle of evolution, a step that could influence what is taught in biology classes across the nation.

The proposed curriculum change would prompt teachers to raise doubts that all life on Earth is descended from common ancestry. Texas is such a huge textbook market that many publishers write to the state's standards, then market those books nationwide.

"This is the most specific assault I've seen against evolution and modern science," said Steven Newton, a project director at the National Center for Science Education, which promotes teaching of evolution.

Texas school board chairman Don McLeroy also sees the curriculum as a landmark -- but a positive one.

Dr. McLeroy believes that God created the earth less than 10,000 years ago. If the new curriculum passes, he says he will insist that high-school biology textbooks point out specific aspects of the fossil record that, in his view, undermine the theory that all life on Earth is descended from primitive scraps of genetic material that first emerged in the primordial muck about 3.9 billion years ago.

He also wants the texts to make the case that individual cells are far too complex to have evolved by chance mutation and natural selection, an argument popular with those who believe an intelligent designer created the universe.

The textbooks will "have to say that there's a problem with evolution -- because there is," said Dr. McLeroy, a dentist. "We need to be honest with the kids."

The vast majority of scientists accept evolution as the best explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

Yes, they say, there are unanswered questions -- transitional fossils yet to be unearthed, biological processes still to be discovered. There is lively scientific debate about some aspects of evolution's winding, four-billion-year path. But when critics talk about exposing students to the "weaknesses" or "insufficiencies" in evolutionary theory, many mainstream scientists cringe.

The fossil record clearly supports evolution, they say, and students shouldn't be exposed to creationist critiques in the name of "critical thinking."

"We will be teaching nonsense in the science classroom," said David Hillis, a biology professor at the University of Texas at Austin. ...

I may get flamed for this response but this post sounds like the religious extremists when their ideas are challenged. There is NOTHING wrong with teaching weakness in the evolution theory, especially from a scientific viewpoint. That teaches children to keep their eyes open, might challenge and interest some into proving the theory either completely true or completely bogus. After all it is still the THEORY of evolution right?

Children shouldn't be brainwashed into one way of thinking but rather given the honest facts and taught how to think for themselves. It is just like teaching the children the Bible in school. You are telling them again and again that this is fact and this is what you are supposed to believe when, to many, there are inconsitancies and holes throughout the text.

I think Texas is taking a step in the right direction towards more properly educating our children.

I may get flamed for this response but this post sounds like the religious extremists when their ideas are challenged. There is NOTHING wrong with teaching weakness in the evolution theory, especially from a scientific viewpoint. That teaches children to keep their eyes open, might challenge and interest some into proving the theory either completely true or completely bogus. After all it is still the THEORY of evolution right?

Children shouldn't be brainwashed into one way of thinking but rather given the honest facts and taught how to think for themselves. It is just like teaching the children the Bible in school. You are telling them again and again that this is fact and this is what you are supposed to believe when, to many, there are inconsitancies and holes throughout the text.

I think Texas is taking a step in the right direction towards more properly educating our children.

Hmmm....

I'm not so sure. The vast majority of scientists accept that ToE is the most likely explanation. Those that don't (I'm hypothesizing) probably either have a religious ax to grind or have only certain reservations that prevent them from agreeing with the majority.

So long as evolution is taught only as theory, I'm not sure what the benefit is of teaching children what the flaws in the theory are, when even scientists as a whole do not agree on those flaws. Surely it's sufficient to teach them that as a theory there are certain things that remain unclear or unexplained and that the issue needs to be continuously investigated in the pursuit of the truth. Anything more than that I see as college material.

I think that while Texas may not be taking a step in the wrong direction, it's an unnecessary step for them to take.

There is NOTHING wrong with teaching weakness in the evolution theory, especially from a scientific viewpoint.

Of course the scientific method requires one to question everything and demand proof for every assertion. But there is something wrong with pointing out weaknesses that aren't there.

That teaches children to keep their eyes open, might challenge and interest some into proving the theory either completely true or completely bogus. After all it is still the THEORY of evolution right?

In science, a theory is something that is extremely well-supported, not a mere conjecture as theory is used in lay terms. There is no such thing as scientific fact (dogma), so a theory is actually the highest status that can be achieved. Biology cannot be adequately understood without evolution.

Agreed about the Bible, but evolution is based upon many lines of evidence including: fossil record, geographic distribution of species, genetic studies, embryology, observed speciation through artificial selection, observed natural selection, anatomy (vestigial structures), etc. I'm not sure how critical thought can, with available evidence, lead you to believe evolution is not the best fit explanation.

Hmmm....

I'm not so sure. The vast majority of scientists accept that ToE is the most likely explanation. Those that don't (I'm hypothesizing) probably either have a religious ax to grind or have only certain reservations that prevent them from agreeing with the majority.

So long as evolution is taught only as theory, I'm not sure what the benefit is of teaching children what the flaws in the theory are, when even scientists as a whole do not agree on those flaws. Surely it's sufficient to teach them that as a theory there are certain things that remain unclear or unexplained and that the issue needs to be continuously investigated in the pursuit of the truth. Anything more than that I see as college material.

I think that while Texas may not be taking a step in the wrong direction, it's an unnecessary step for them to take.

When you leave a loop hole open, show a child a flaw they exploit it and their imaginations take hold. It gives them an obsession that will take hold more powerfully than it will at any other point in their lives.

Like the child who grows overly attached to the family dog and grows up to be a vet. You tell children there is nothing to discover they dismiss the ideas completely. Most fossil records are incomplete, as in one or two bones have been discovered and a creature created using it and our knowledge of modern animals. You may spark some children to go digging for those missing fossils or to study the ones found and try to either prove or disprove the Theory of Evolution.

Just because, as you said, it is the most widely accepted idea of how the Earth and existance MIGHT have come into being doesn't mean it is the correct one. Our future generations have the right to be able to decide on things, to discover, to learn and theorize for themselves... we need to provide them with the tools and the open minded perspectives needed to do so. We teach them our theories and our unanswered questions and hope that they will prove to be more intelligent than we are. I think we owe them that chance anyways..

Forum List

Back