Science: In Warming World, Critters Run to the Hills

R

rdean

About 2,000 species examined are moving away from the equator at an average rate of more than 15 feet (five meters) per day, about a mile per year, according to new research published Thursday in the journal Science which analyzed previous studies. Species are also moving up mountains to escape the heat, but more slowly, averaging about four feet a year.

The species mostly from the Northern Hemisphere and including plants moved in fits and starts, but over several decades it averages to about eight inches (20 centimeters) an hour away from the equator.

”The speed is an important issue,” said study main author Chris Thomas of the University of York. ”It is faster than we thought.”

”It’s already affected the entire planet’s wildlife,” Thomas said in a phone interview. ”It’s not a matter that might happen in the lifetime of our children and our grandchildren. If you look in your garden you can see the effects of climate change already.”

Animals moving away from global warming faster | Sci-tech | DAWN.COM

A heat wave is sweeping the planet, and animals and plants are making a break for cooler climes. Or so scientists have always assumed. It's been hard to tie a species' migration directly to climate change, particularly with human activity destroying ecosystems every year. But researchers have now gathered more evidence for that link by compiling data from 54 scientific papers that collectively map the habitat ranges of more than 2000 species during the past 4 decades. On average, the team finds, creatures move both up mountains and farther away from the equator at a speed that keeps pace with the rate of climate change and at a pace that is far faster than previously predicted.

In Warming World, Critters Run to the Hills - ScienceNOW

I don't like the direction this is taking. It seems to be saying animals understand what Republicans can't.

”The speed is an important issue,” said study main author Chris Thomas of the University of York. ”It is faster than we thought.”

Perhaps the thought should be reexamined?

Last edited:
About 2,000 species examined are moving away from the equator at an average rate of more than 15 feet (five meters) per day, about a mile per year, according to new research published Thursday in the journal Science which analyzed previous studies. Species are also moving up mountains to escape the heat, but more slowly, averaging about four feet a year.

The species mostly from the Northern Hemisphere and including plants moved in fits and starts, but over several decades it averages to about eight inches (20 centimeters) an hour away from the equator.

”It’s already affected the entire planet’s wildlife,” Thomas said in a phone interview. ”It’s not a matter that might happen in the lifetime of our children and our grandchildren. If you look in your garden you can see the effects of climate change already.”

A heat wave is sweeping the planet, and animals and plants are making a break for cooler climes. Or so scientists have always assumed. It's been hard to tie a species' migration directly to climate change, particularly with human activity destroying ecosystems every year. But researchers have now gathered more evidence for that link by compiling data from 54 scientific papers that collectively map the habitat ranges of more than 2000 species during the past 4 decades. On average, the team finds, creatures move both up mountains and farther away from the equator at a speed that keeps pace with the rate of climate change and at a pace that is far faster than previously predicted.

I don't like the direction this is taking. It seems to be saying animals understand what Republicans can't.

It is saying no such thing.

It seems rdean has found his religion. The funny thing is these scientist are trying to prove something with a preconceived notion like "man made global warming" which is totally the opposite of what they are supposed to do., Another funny thing about these libs is they believe in evolution, but when it is taking place before their eyes,they want to try alter the natural process. Species become extent and adapt, it's the natural order of things, it's the way G-d made it:cool:

Last edited:

It seems rdean has found his religion. The funny thing is these scientist are trying to prove something with a preconceived notion like "man made global warming" which is totally the opposite of what they are supposed to do., Another funny thing about these libs is they believe in evolution, but when it is taking place before their eyes,they want to try alter the natural process. Species become extent and adapt, it's the natural order of things, it's the way G-d made it:cool:

The really funny thing is that this has been going on since the ice age ended.

"The really funny thing is that this has been going on since the ice age ended. "

You must be very very old.

15 feet per day huh? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL, this is a perfect example of style over substance...

How did they come up with 15 feet? I can tell you it involved a lot of ridiculous number crunching and cost in the 100's of 1000's. 15 feet from the equator huh... LOL

It's like the retarded pretense that 0.9 degrees Fahrenheit increase in temps over a hundred years is catastrophic warming, OR that will melt the icecaps and raise the sea levels 7 meters... :lol:

Got news for you people... If its -20 F and it goes up to -19 F its still cold enough to make ice... LOL 15 feet you ecomentalists crack me up. You guys are really getting desperate now..

Perhaps the thought should be reexamined?
Problem is....you don't know shit.
I forgive you. You're a murkin (brainwashed idiot)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp_VDjw5Gkw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Monteverde Now - The Guide - YouTube[/ame]

It's better now. With the fall of the M-pyre many places are closed and I still actually have some friends there that I go and visit. They are happy....... again.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsIMJl2DIkE&feature=autoplay&list=ULR-dfFs8okqY&index=21&playnext=1]Monteverde ¡Ya! - La Investigadora - YouTube[/ame]

People choose to believe what they want to believe and all the scientific studies are not going to convince them otherwise. Where science supports one's believe system, science is embraced but when it doesn't science is wrong. For example, only 4 in 10 believe in evolution even thou there is a huge amount of evidence to support it. We may never have enough proof of evolution, but we will certainly have plenty of proof of global warming.

All I know is that in my hood warming is evident. I have no proof of the cause.Global warming / climate change is real. I don't know the cause. I don't "think" it is 100% natural.

People choose to believe what they want to believe and all the scientific studies are not going to convince them otherwise. Where science supports one's believe system, science is embraced but when it doesn't science is wrong. For example, only 4 in 10 believe in evolution even thou there is a huge amount of evidence to support it. We may never have enough proof of evolution, but we will certainly have plenty of proof of global warming.

The question in this, as with all issues brought up by the church of agw is "is this outside of the realm of natural variability? Is this even approaching the borders of natural variability?

If the answer to those two questions is no, then the application of Occam's razor strongly suggests that this is just another red herring with no practical purpose other than to scare the gullible and uneducated.

Even if the figures claimed are true, would they be outside the realm of natural variability?

I see evidence of this in my backyard every day, now.

The species of birds and insects that frequents my land has changed in the last twenty years.

Two examples...cardinals are here now, and Japanese beetles are also here.

Twenty years ago, they were not denizens of this area in Maine.

That's a radical change in such a short time, folks.

I see evidence of this in my backyard every day, now.

The species of birds and insects that frequents my land has changed in the last twenty years.

Two examples...cardinals are here now, and Japanese beetles are also here.

Twenty years ago, they were not denizens of this area in Maine.

That's a radical change in such a short time, folks.

A quick look at the historical range of the cardinal shows its range to be from south, around Cozumel, Mexico and north to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Anywhere within Maine would be well within the range of cardinals.

A scan of the North American Breeding Bird survey which began in 1966 has cardinals appearing on the list in Maine in 1972 and being represented every year since:

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/PublicDataInterface/index.cfm

As to the Japanese Beetle, it was first introduced in New Jersey in 1919. It quickly expanded its range in every direction.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Popillia Japonica (Newman) - Japanese Beetle

Clip: "The first Japanese beetle found Canada was in a tourist's car at Yarmouth, arriving in Nova Scotia by ferry from Maine in 1939."

Maybe you are simply more observant today than you were 20 years ago. Maybe you can blame that on global warming.

Astronomers tell us of galaxies thousands of light years from earth and we accept it or just ignore it. It has no effect on our lives so why should we care. Global warming does effect us and threatens our way of life. It's more socially acceptable to deny the facts than it is to deny our descendants a future.

IMHO, we may have passed the point where global warming can be stopped before our environment is destroyed. Scientists can't tell how much greenhouse gases have to be reduced to save the planet. In fact they can't tell us if it actually can be saved. That's not much of a basis to turn the world's economic system upside down.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back