Science and Technology Quiz

I have spent decades reading old school hard sci fi.....

Oh, well in that case................. :lmao:

Depending on the author, old school sci fi had a lot of real science in it.

At least as it was understood at the time.

Oh, of course...

Hard science fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail, or on both.[1][2] The term was first used in print in 1957 by P. Schuyler Miller in a review of John W. Campbell, Jr.'s Islands of Space inAstounding Science Fiction.[3][4][5] The complementary term soft science fiction, formed by analogy to hard science fiction,[6] first appeared in the late 1970s. The term is formed by analogy to the popular distinction between the "hard" (natural) and "soft" (social) sciences."

I take it you are not a fan?

Oh, of course...

"Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail, or on both.[1][2] The term was first used in print in 1957 by P. Schuyler Miller in a review of John W. Campbell, Jr.'s Islands of Space inAstounding Science Fiction.[3][4][5] The complementary term soft science fiction, formed by analogy to hard science fiction,[6] first appeared in the late 1970s. The term is formed by analogy to the popular distinction between the "hard" (natural) and "soft" (social) sciences."

Hard science fiction often has a weak plot and poor character development but when the author pulls it off it's great because it seems so much more authentic. Most of the stuff they call science fiction today is fantasy and horror, not sci-fi.

Easy

Science Knowledge Quiz Results
You answered 12 of 12 questions correctly.
See below how your results compare with the 3,278 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "A Look at What the Public Knows and Does Not Know About Science."
You scored better than 94% of the public and the same as 6%.
<1%
1%
2%
3%
6%
7%
9%
12%
12%
15%
15%
12%
6%
TOTAL NUMBER OF QUESTIONS ANSWERED CORRECTLY
These percentages only reflect the 3,278 adults that took part in the national survey; online quiz results are not included in the sample.
Your responses and demographic breakdowns
Below are the percentages of each group from the nationally representative sample who answered correctly during the survey.
GENDER AGE EDUCATION RACE
Total
Male Female 18-29 30-49 50-64 65+ HS or less Some College College Grad Post-grad White Black Hispanic

sciencequiz_answer1.png

This picture shows an object in space that has an icy core with a tail of gas and dust that extends millions of miles. What is this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, of course...

Hard science fiction often has a weak plot and poor character development but when the author pulls it off it's great because it seems so much more authentic. Most of the stuff they call science fiction today is fantasy and horror, not sci-fi.

Very true.

this thread contains precious insights on the thinking processes of some members

Most do.

Though you have to be careful the "insight" is not just your preconceived notions "finding" validation.

12/12 I didn't know who made the polio vaccine but I knew which 3 people didn't do it.

Forum List

Back