Science and Ethics

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Why is it OK to kill and enslave animals but not human beings?

I don't.
You go from testing on animals to testing on humans.

The difference is that humans have a choice in the matter (unless you believe the conspiracy nuts, then we're all being tested with stuff all the time).

...hm, this is actually a good question, now that I think about it. Give me time to sleep on it, I'll get back to you.

I don't.
You go from testing on animals to testing on humans.

The difference is that humans have a choice in the matter (unless you believe the conspiracy nuts, then we're all being tested with stuff all the time).

...hm, this is actually a good question, now that I think about it. Give me time to sleep on it, I'll get back to you.

So are you a vegetarian?

Once you have reconciled this life and its meaning with eternal life after death, then maybe your question won't have such dire significance?

What is death compared to eternal life?

God says that man is made to serve God and the animals are made to serve man. It's all a trifle in the greater trial we all face while on earth. I am not saying cruelty can be excused, I am saying when you put the highest value on the life of a mouse and then ignore the sufferings of a mother whose malnourished child is dying in her arms, our priorities are misplaced.

Once you have reconciled this life and its meaning with eternal life after death, then maybe your question won't have such dire significance?

What is death compared to eternal life?

God says that man is made to serve God and the animals are made to serve man. It's all a trifle in the greater trial we all face while on earth. I am not saying cruelty can be excused, I am saying when you put the highest value on the life of a mouse and then ignore the sufferings of a mother whose malnourished child is dying in her arms, our priorities are misplaced.

But for those who are not of any faith, what is the difference between man and beast?

Off the top of my head an obvious difference is intellegence levels. So if we were to assign value based upon intelligence then what of the "dumb" amongst humanity? Should they be slaughtered and eaten? Should they be made to toil in the fields at the wrong end of a whip etc?

But for those who are not of any faith, what is the difference between man and beast?

Do you not put a greater value on emotions and deep felt concern? Do you think an ant possesses such meaning? Then neither does any animal compared to a human being. If you were pressed, I am quite certain you would sacrifice a thousand cattle before you gave up the child in your arms or even your neighbor’s child.

Off the top of my head an obvious difference is intellegence levels. So if we were to assign value based upon intelligence then what of the "dumb" amongst humanity? Should they be slaughtered and eaten? Should they be made to toil in the fields at the wrong end of a whip etc?

The slow minded amongst our race are cognizant of feelings of deep happiness and sadness still provide an enormous amount of love or gratitude from those closest to them.

I cannot account for man’s cruelty to his fellow man, but no godly religion would advocate that.

Forum List

Back