CDZ Sci-fi TV Series Confusion

I wonder what the Star Trek franchise could have been bought for early on, after its first couple of seasons and then bombing, only to become a massive marketing engine.

Actually it was and while I don't remember the price that sale was what led to Next Generation.

With it now possible to use actual Robots, landing craft and so on as both part of the series and product placements instead of high cost FX why aren't there more Sci-fi series?

There is a lot of sci fi out there, and a lot of new alternative production.

BOth Netflicks and Amazon are going bonkers with original productions.

Especially netflicks.

Also, available a good stuff from Canada and BBC.
I noticed all the new production coming from Amazon and Netflix but the production quality, script, actors, etc were looking very B movie on some of them and I hope they don't start putting out quantity over quality

With it now possible to use actual Robots, landing craft and so on as both part of the series and product placements instead of high cost FX why aren't there more Sci-fi series?

There is a lot of sci fi out there, and a lot of new alternative production.

BOth Netflicks and Amazon are going bonkers with original productions.

Especially netflicks.

Also, available a good stuff from Canada and BBC.
I noticed all the new production coming from Amazon and Netflix but the production quality, script, actors, etc were looking very B movie on some of them and I hope they don't start putting out quantity over quality
The problem is that quality is discovered as with Star Trek which was extremely B movie in so many ways but still worked in large part because of Nam.

Then why is no one else picking up those billions? Why are you not taking advantage of the clear opening to produce something of that extreme value?

In the same way that you can't fight city hall...it is very difficult, if not impossible for an outside entity to fight an entrenched well funded establishment...in this case Hollywood.

Good article if you have time to read it...Why Hollywood as We Know It Is Already Over
Except there are entities doing so. Entities like Netflix that are very new and quickly becoming major content producers rather than simply providers. Your article even touches on this.

The thing is, they produce shows much like what Hollywood produces - just at a better quality and with a better delivery method. IOW, claiming that no one can get into the industry to provide what the poster I responded to wants is false. The problem is not the ability to produce the content but that the general audience simply does not want it.

Every now and then there is a quality show that comes out and manages to spark people to watch it: BSG, Game of Thrones and the like, but the real profitability is not there. What people really want are brainless sitcoms - they cost little to make, are easy to produce for years on end and get great ratings.

It is not a Hollywood conspiracy that is keeping content down - it is the viewership.

Genuine Sci-fi has been subsumed by special effects, and for good reason: The typical movie-goer can't follow a serious plot for more than five minutes.

DOn't assume that Hollywood knows Wtf it is doing. Just because people have to put up with crap doesn't mean that it is what people want or can handle.
Sure it does.

Hollywood makes what sells and what sells has never really been what is quality. That there are some of us out there that prefer quality does not reflect on what the majority of people really want. The reality is that if Hollywood was not producing what people wanted then someone would come alone and do so as there are billions of dollars at play here. It is just stunning what the general populace actually wants.

I disagree. The bean counters don't respect their audience or their product and the creative people are dominated by lefties assholes.

THe nation is majority Christian, look at how massive The Passion of Christ was, despite being in a foreign language.

Christian themes like that should be a whole genre on a level that dwarfs, say... movies about black or gay cultures.

Yet, Hollywood ignores BILLIONS of dollars just laying on the ground waiting to be picked up.

Because they are completely disconnected from and have nothing but contempt for Middle America.
Then why is no one else picking up those billions? Why are you not taking advantage of the clear opening to produce something of that extreme value?

Lack of discipline and funding.

Theater quality movies take a lot of upfront money to get started, for one, and even the small companies depend on big companies for distribution, just like record labels do. Even with the costs of cameras down to around $60K-$100K, renting all the gear runs into big bucks, and then there is the problem that there are few people who are really good at organizing shooting schedules effectively, a key skill, and those that are good don't work cheap or for just anybody. I'm amazed so many movies and shows get made at all, really, much less good ones.

Forum List

Back