Schwarzenegger Calls for Pot Debate

wonder why we made lead paint illegal,, maybe we should reverse that! waddya think?

I don't think the 2 are really comparable.

People could be exposed to lead paint on an ongoing basis without their consent. It would be hard to make the same argument for pot. I imagine if it were legal it would be under the same kinds of controls as alcohol. I don't think very many people are inadvertently exposed to alcohol, so I don't see where the problem lies.

The Governator is right. It is time for this debate.

The history of prohibition is one of failure. During the time of alcohol prohibition is when organized crime developed in this country. Ordinary citizens were made into criminals and the morality of the populace was not improved. Luckily we came to our senses in regards to alcohol.

Unfortunately the moralists in this country have held sway since in regards to marijuana. Hillary Clinton spoke the truth about the connection between the illegal drug trade (mostly marijuana) and the illegal gun trade and the connection of both to the wave of violence in Mexico. Unfortunaley the wrong conclusion was drawn, that being that we need to get tougher on drug users and dealers. We already incarcerate more people than any other country on Earth and the illegal drug trade is stronger than ever. The drug war is a FAILURE!

If marijuana were made legal tomorrow, both for use and cultivation, in six months the illegal marijuana trade would be over. The drug smuggling criminals would be out of business.

wonder why we made lead paint illegal,, maybe we should reverse that! waddya think?

I don't think the 2 are really comparable.

People could be exposed to lead paint on an ongoing basis without their consent. It would be hard to make the same argument for pot. I imagine if it were legal it would be under the same kinds of controls as alcohol. I don't think very many people are inadvertently exposed to alcohol, so I don't see where the problem lies.

Lead is much more dangerous than marijuana; little kids chew on lead painted things but generally don't do so with marijuana, and as mentioned above, there is no demand for lead paint to be used as a recreational drug, or for much of anything for that matter.

Well I thought it was time for this debate, but apparently not!

Anybody?

Why is it that neo-con christian fascist always melt down to nonsense in any debate?

How about the truth dipshit. The far right in both parties has always tried to reduce the voter roles in non white segments of society. Making someone a felon is as easy as any way to keep minorities from voting.

My brother has smoked pot every day for over 40 years. His mental capacity is just fine. He owns a new Vette, his own home on the waterfront which he built. And no he does not deal drugs. He is a salesman. I don't smoke pot but to say it will ruin your life is total crap.

People fail for all kinds of reasons. It is usually not the fault of exterior sources like ahlcohol or other drugs.

it's not nonsense.. she asked why if we weren't dealing with morality why pot was illegal,, same reason lead paint is illegal.. and that's not crap.

Then why is alcohol legal?

Lead is much more dangerous than marijuana; little kids chew on lead painted things but generally don't do so with marijuana, and as mentioned above, there is no demand for lead paint to be used as a recreational drug, or for much of anything for that matter.

Have you ever noticed that the people who are all for deregulation and "small government" are always for regulation and large government when it comes to things that make other people feel good?

you know, like sex and drugs....

they can't get to rock n roll because it's big business.

by the by, if I recall correctly, when they did Pumping Iron, didn't they say Ahhhhnold used to get high after every competition to mellow out?

Have you ever noticed that the people who are all for deregulation and "small government" are always for regulation and large government when it comes to things that make other people feel good?

by the by, if I recall correctly, when they did Pumping Iron, didn't they say Ahhhhnold used to get high after every competition to mellow out?

cllinton used to get high but that didn't stop him from hypocritically giving more money to the failure called "war on drugs"...its about power, there is simply no reason for marijauna to be illegal.

cllinton used to get high but that didn't stop him from hypocritically giving more money to the failure called "war on drugs"...its about power, there is simply no reason for marijauna to be illegal.

I disagreed with him continuing the "war on drugs"... but politically, he was in a funny spot with that... he took a lot of heat for even having tried pot. And I agree there's no reason for it being illegal.

But I think it's partly generational and partly puritanical... the same way methadone is legal (because the user gets no high from it) and heroin isn't when both are addictive and life-destroying.

i think when the older generation is out of congress, the boomers and gen x'ers will legalize it... well, so long as the religious right doesn't become powerful again.

Tell y'all what.......

Go rent the movie "Grass" which is narrated by Woody Harrelson. It will tell you a LOT about why pot is illegal. Henry P. Anslinger (may his name forever be a curse.........ptooie) made it illegal because in 1939, the biggest consumers of marijuana were Blacks and Hispanics. Anslinger was a racist prick who figured out that if you want to get rid of the minorities, all ya have to do is pick something they like (aka pot), and make it illegal.

They did a really nice job by the way, as they came up with the Marijuana Tax Stamp, which states that you can get one if you bring in your product for inspection, but, you had to bring it in WITHOUT a stamp, to get your product approved, which resulted in arrest because you had the product without the authorization. Nice catch 22 eh?

Anslinger was also influenced by DuPont and a publisher, because the publisher wanted to use trees instead of hemp, and DuPont had just came up with plastic.

Incidentally.........there are Biblical references for marijuana. God told Adam and Eve that if it grows out of the ground, we are allowed to have it. Cannabis oil incidentally was also part of the Holy Annointing Oil, which was rubbed on the kings of Israel.

Besides...........other than wide scale defoliation (aka Agent Orange in Viet Nam), it's really kinda hard to make a plant illegal.

Not only that, but marijuana helps with all sorts of maladies, from Alzheimers, to chemo therapy for cancer, to LOTS of other things.

It's also a BILLION DOLLAR crop for just California alone. Can you imagine the revenue that would generate?

I disagreed with him continuing the "war on drugs"... but politically, he was in a funny spot with that... he took a lot of heat for even having tried pot. And I agree there's no reason for it being illegal.

But I think it's partly generational and partly puritanical... the same way methadone is legal (because the user gets no high from it) and heroin isn't when both are addictive and life-destroying.

i think when the older generation is out of congress, the boomers and gen x'ers will legalize it... well, so long as the religious right doesn't become powerful again.

i think it also is for the money. i did research a few years ago on this for a debate (live debate not internet) and i found that the war on drugs gets approx 17 billion a year. marijuana arrests and convictions account for a large amount of the budget as you can well imagine, more people use pot than the hard drugs. make marijuana illegal and the org that fights the war on drugs gets a much reduced budget.

i also found that scientist determined that alcohol was more harmful and more addicting than pot. cigs as well.

i think it also is for the money. i did research a few years ago on this for a debate (live debate not internet) and i found that the war on drugs gets approx 17 billion a year. marijuana arrests and convictions account for a large amount of the budget as you can well imagine, more people use pot than the hard drugs. make marijuana illegal and the org that fights the war on drugs gets a much reduced budget.

i also found that scientist determined that alcohol was more harmful and more addicting than pot. cigs as well.

Wouldn't they get more in tax revenues from pot sales then they gain in fighting it? personally, i'd rather see violent criminals in jail than some poor Spicoli type.

I think I also remember reading that if sugar came out now it wouldn't be allowed on the market because it's so bad for us.

Sounds like everyone is in agreement, that marijuana should be legalized.

Or am I reading this thread wrong?

Wouldn't they get more in tax revenues from pot sales then they gain in fighting it? personally, i'd rather see violent criminals in jail than some poor Spicoli type.

I think I also remember reading that if sugar came out now it wouldn't be allowed on the market because it's so bad for us.

i believe they would. but, that org might not be able to get 17 billion dollars. seems to me that the voters want it legal, it is the politicians who don't. more importantly, it seems as if it is the whitehouse, doesn't matter if its a dem or repub, they never seem to support legalization. obama has done a great service to this country by declaring he will not go after those with medicinal prescriptions so long as they are not violating state law.

i think if obama, given his popularity, could start the process of making marijuana legal. i don't know if he has ever really made a public stance against making it legal.

Why is it that neo-con christian fascist always melt down to nonsense in any debate?

How about the truth dipshit. The far right in both parties has always tried to reduce the voter roles in non white segments of society. Making someone a felon is as easy as any way to keep minorities from voting.

My brother has smoked pot every day for over 40 years. His mental capacity is just fine. He owns a new Vette, his own home on the waterfront which he built. And no he does not deal drugs. He is a salesman. I don't smoke pot but to say it will ruin your life is total crap.

People fail for all kinds of reasons. It is usually not the fault of exterior sources like ahlcohol or other drugs.

it's not nonsense.. she asked why if we weren't dealing with morality why pot was illegal,, same reason lead paint is illegal.. and that's not crap.

Then why is alcohol legal?

do some homework

Three fucking pages and NO ONE thought to post this yet? Damn.. what the hell would you people do without me around here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqep14L2f7k[/ame]

i believe they would. but, that org might not be able to get 17 billion dollars. seems to me that the voters want it legal, it is the politicians who don't. more importantly, it seems as if it is the whitehouse, doesn't matter if its a dem or repub, they never seem to support legalization. obama has done a great service to this country by declaring he will not go after those with medicinal prescriptions so long as they are not violating state law.

i think if obama, given his popularity, could start the process of making marijuana legal. i don't know if he has ever really made a public stance against making it legal.

people don't want to support legalization because they don't want the heat. Again, I think as the old guard leaves the playing field, you'll see it change. I know that Barney Frank was the first to author a bill to legalize pot. But he's in a safe seat and has no fears. I'm hoping he sneaks it in along the way.

I don't know if Obama would take a stand on that. For all people yell about his "left-ness", I've seen a lot of what would be called "conservative values". If he takes a pro-legalization stance at all, I would suspect it would be in his second term when he won't have to fear the fallout.

If marajuana is legalized for use and cultivation, the chance that the goverment would get any substantial tax revenue from sales of marijuana is unlikely. Marajuana is easy to grow and most people would simply grow their own.

Leagalization would however destroy the drug cartels.

people don't want to support legalization because they don't want the heat. Again, I think as the old guard leaves the playing field, you'll see it change. I know that Barney Frank was the first to author a bill to legalize pot. But he's in a safe seat and has no fears. I'm hoping he sneaks it in along the way.

I don't know if Obama would take a stand on that. For all people yell about his "left-ness", I've seen a lot of what would be called "conservative values". If he takes a pro-legalization stance at all, I would suspect it would be in his second term when he won't have to fear the fallout.

It's been disappointing to me that "liberals" like Clinton and now apparently Obama don't take a legalization stand on this issue. As you point out politically there a lot of downside and little upside so they leave the status quo more or less.

It's probably going to be one of those "it takes a Republican to go to China" kind of deals.

Three fucking pages and NO ONE thought to post this yet? Damn.. what the hell would you people do without me around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqep14L2f7k

This explains why he cannot say California dosen't it? :lol: honest to god people think about Ahnald.. Ca. threw Gray Davis out because the budget was out of hand and voted for Ahnald twice... jeez.. why would anyone vote for somebody who slept with a kennedy???

Forum List

Back