Schumer in Trouble?

At issue is a much-publicized letter that Chuck Schumer, a Democrat, sent in June to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) and Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) questioning the company's ability to survive.

The FDIC took control of IndyMac on July 11 after depositors withdrew more than $1.3 billion over 11 days. It was the third-largest bank failure in U.S. history. At the time, OTS Director John Reich blamed Schumer's letter for causing the run on the bank.

In a letter to Attorney General Jerry Brown last week, 51 former IndyMac workers wrote: "From the day (Schumer's) letter was made public on June 26 until the closure of the bank, a run on the bank took place and the failure became inevitable."

Wait a minute...how did this letter come to the attentionof the public?

Copies of the employee letter were distributed to the press by CRC Public Relations whose clients include the National Republican Congressional Committee, National Republican Senatorial Committee and the Republican National Committee.

So me get this straight.

A demcorat writes a letter to two government oversight groups...

that letter is them made public by a REPUBLICAN PR group, and the DEMCORAT is called into question for it being made public?

Either I do not understand this article, or this makes like no sense whatever.

So me get this straight.

that letter is them made public by a REPUBLICAN PR group, and the DEMCORAT is called into question for it being made public?

I don't know what the law is on making this sort of stuff public so I 'm not sure any laws were broken... Maybe Chuck shouldn't have written the letter.

So me get this straight.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Schumer is possibly the largest asshole in Congress.

So a public figure writes a letter to a public agency and a third party makes the public aware of the letter's existence, and you attack the 3rd party?
:badgrin:

I don't know what the law is on making this sort of stuff public so I 'm not sure any laws were broken... Maybe Chuck shouldn't have written the letter.

That makes no sense as far as I can tell.

Chuck did not make that letter public...Republican operatives did.

That makes no sense as far as I can tell.

Chuck did not make that letter public...Republican operatives did.

If I write a letter to a company in this day in age how can I expect it to be private? What's I'm getting at is what laws were broken? If you can show me where a law was broken then I will agree with you.

By the way, both sides are doing everything they can to expose the other side....that's the world we live in.

So when a democrat or liberal uses the system to "expose" a republican or conservative, no problem? But when the reverse is true, we have a problem?

Schumer has already responded to this, saying that it's like blaming the fire on the person who calls 911.

So when a democrat or liberal uses the system to "expose" a republican or conservative, no problem? But when the reverse is true, we have a problem?

Oh? Do tell, I'm sure you can site many an example.

Schumer did nothing wrong. Maybe he should have let questionable practices slide... No?

So me get this straight.

Don't bother them with the facts.

Another example of a GOP smear attack. They are obviously getting deperate. This bank was on the way before the letter was written.

Forum List

Back