Debate Now School Vouchers; How will the System Look?

Thanks again for the information. \

Lets see if I absorbed “what the system” will look like.:desk:

• A voucher is a payment by a government entity directly to the parents of children.
  • With the voucher, the parent can decide to send their child/children to any school it wishes. (Do you get a lump sum for multiple kids or do you get two vouchers for 2 kids, 3 vouchers for 3 kids, etc…)
  • Vouchers are not “dollar for dollar” replacements for public education. They do not pay the entire tuition, books, fees, etc… (aka the “out the door” price) of the school year and parents are expected to kick in some money. Vouchers are need-based.
  • While school choice is part of the system, curricula choice is not.
Can you “grade my paper above” and let me know what I scored???? LOL

• A voucher is a payment by a government entity directly to the parents of children.
  • With the voucher, the parent can decide to send their child/children to any school it wishes. (Do you get a lump sum for multiple kids or do you get two vouchers for 2 kids, 3 vouchers for 3 kids, etc…)
  • Vouchers are not “dollar for dollar” replacements for public education. They do not pay the entire tuition, books, fees, etc… (aka the “out the door” price) of the school year and parents are expected to kick in some money. Vouchers are need-based.

LOL

You're welcome.

Red:
Yes.

Blue:
That would depend on the specific design of the program implemented in a given jurisdiction.

Purple:
Not necessarily.
  • Amount of tuition paid: The voucher may or may not pay for the entirety of tuition, books and fees. Whether it does depends on what the private school charges for those things.
  • Parental contribution expectation: Parent's (or somebody other than the voucher provider) must make up for the delta between the value of the voucher and the tuition, fees, etc. the private school charges. The only folks who care that the difference be covered is are (1) the child and his/her parents and (2) the private school the child aims to attend. If the voucher is enough to cover all the costs, then there is no delta to make up, thus no expectation that anyone do so.

LOL

You're welcome.

Red:
Yes.

Blue:
That would depend on the specific design of the program implemented in a given jurisdiction.

Purple:
Not necessarily.
  • Amount of tuition paid: The voucher may or may not pay for the entirety of tuition, books and fees. Whether it does depends on what the private school charges for those things.
  • Parental contribution expectation: Parent's (or somebody other than the voucher provider) must make up for the delta between the value of the voucher and the tuition, fees, etc. the private school charges. The only folks who care that the difference be covered is are (1) the child and his/her parents and (2) the private school the child aims to attend. If the voucher is enough to cover all the costs, then there is no delta to make up, thus no expectation that anyone do so.

Great.

Gotta go right now but I look forward to continuing the discussion if I get a chance this weekend or perhaps next week. #VACAY

And there is no “needs test” to get vouchers? Meaning that if Ms. Smith is a single parent working at Wendys; she would get more than Ms. Jones who is an executive at Berkshire Hathaway???

Are you asking me if that's how D.C.'s voucher system works or are you asking that question as an abstraction?

If the former, yes, in D.C. there's a means test. Students with household incomes up to 185% of the federal poverty guideline can receive vouchers. My own children don't qualify for vouchers. My metorees do.

Yes I was.

Again, vouchers seem like a good idea to me. If I had a daughter, I wouldn’t let her play soccer. I love soccer but the risk of concussion scares the shit out of me. If I were paying out of pocket for her schooling and the school said Physical Education was $3000 a year, I wouldn’t buy it. We’d be riding our bikes every weekend.

I didn’t know if, in the “world of vouchers” you were given a pre-set amount and told to go shopping or were expected to buy everything .

Likewise, I didn’t know IF you could order courses piecemeal.

candy, I don't get you, if you had a daughter...

My princess played soccer when she was five years old, my wife and I enrolled her in karate when she was 7 became a black belt at 15...she was turning wrenches at 3 years old, she knows how to run a Bridgeport and a lathe...she was runner up in High school to prom queen

Now she goes to North western university and studying to become a teacher.

Why are you so anti woman? A girl with the right training can do anything a guy can do.

Candy this entire thread is a setup thread by you..

Trolling for the gotcha moment.

And there is no “needs test” to get vouchers? Meaning that if Ms. Smith is a single parent working at Wendys; she would get more than Ms. Jones who is an executive at Berkshire Hathaway???

Are you asking me if that's how D.C.'s voucher system works or are you asking that question as an abstraction?

If the former, yes, in D.C. there's a means test. Students with household incomes up to 185% of the federal poverty guideline can receive vouchers. My own children don't qualify for vouchers. My metorees do.

Yes I was.

Again, vouchers seem like a good idea to me. If I had a daughter, I wouldn’t let her play soccer. I love soccer but the risk of concussion scares the shit out of me. If I were paying out of pocket for her schooling and the school said Physical Education was $3000 a year, I wouldn’t buy it. We’d be riding our bikes every weekend.

I didn’t know if, in the “world of vouchers” you were given a pre-set amount and told to go shopping or were expected to buy everything .

Likewise, I didn’t know IF you could order courses piecemeal.

candy, I don't get you, if you had a daughter...

My princess played soccer when she was five years old, my wife and I enrolled her in karate when she was 7 became a black belt at 15...she was turning wrenches at 3 years old, she knows how to run a Bridgeport and a lathe...she was runner up in High school to prom queen

Now she goes to North western university and studying to become a teacher.

Why are you so anti woman? A girl with the right training can do anything a guy can do.

When she becomes a woman, she can do whatever she wants. When you're 10 or 12 you don't know what a thunk on the head can do long term. The goal of PE in school is physical education. We would get plenty of that.

??? "Gotcha moments" don't happen to folks who carefully think through their principles, facts, and applications/implications of them and then bother to comprehensively explain all of those things. Unfortunately, few topics lend themselves to doing that in the space of just a few words.

??? "Gotcha moments" don't happen to folks who carefully think through their principles, facts, and applications/implications of them and then bother to comprehensively explain all of those things. Unfortunately, few topics lend themselves to doing that in the space of just a few words.

I do have a "gotcha" question in mind I think--if you want to call it that. Lets say, for example, you live in a Blue State like Maryland but are a conservative. Would proponents of vouchers be okay with taking what are potentially Maryland dollars and spending them in VA or WVA if you live across state lines from a school district that teaches a curriculum more in line with your values.

That doesn't strike me as much of a gotcha question as one would hope I suppose.

I do have a "gotcha" question in mind I think--if you want to call it that. Lets say, for example, you live in a Blue State like Maryland but are a conservative. Would proponents of vouchers be okay with taking what are potentially Maryland dollars and spending them in VA or WVA if you live across state lines from a school district that teaches a curriculum more in line with your values.

That doesn't strike me as much of a gotcha question as one would hope I suppose.

Red:
It doesn't strike me as any form of prelude to a "gotcha question."

Blue and off topic:
That scenario strikes me as yet another illustration of the fact that political borders have reached the limit of their usefulness.

Forum List

Back