School Uniforms

My kids go to public school, no dress code or uniform. If they ever proposed it I'd say yes in a heart beat. Not for some expression thing or equalizing thing or whatever . . . just for the mere fact that it's just easier.

I'll bet $5 there's a dress code. You haven't read the handbook. There's no school on the continent that doesn't have a dress code.

Ours is no shorts or skirts shorter than 6 inches above the knee, no underwear can show, no spaghetti straps.

Read your handbook and then come back and talk.

I'll bet $5 there's a dress code. You haven't read the handbook. There's no school on the continent that doesn't have a dress code.

Ours is no shorts or skirts shorter than 6 inches above the knee, no underwear can show, no spaghetti straps.

Read your handbook and then come back and talk.

I meant dress code as in 'white shirt, blue pants, no sneakers' or something along those lines.

Yeah, we have the kind of dress code you're talking about.

Excrackly.

I dress my kids for a regular dress code. If you check out private schools, you'll see, it's quite flexible.

My girl wears plaid skirts and scooters and jeans...because where we live, jeans are part of the code... my boy jeans or double-kneed khakis and non-logo shirts with vests.

My kids attend a charter school with a dress code, but no uniforms required.

I still buy their school clothes from Cookieskids, a school uniform company. They also have jeans and regular shirts....but I dress them according to code, and I like the uniforms. They're functional and durable.

But I was raised in plaid skirts, sweaters, vests and jackets.

I hate seeing little kids dressed like 20 year old hookers. So I'm for uniforms. Plus, it's just so damn inexpensive.

Dress code is understandable, it's logical and doesn't really restrict kids that much.

What are you thoughts on students required to wear uniforms, in either a public or private school.

Is it taking away their "rights" to express themselves, or should it be a standard requirement for all students until they graduate from high school?
It should be up to the school and parents. There are Pro's and Con's to uniforms.

I had to wear a uniform from kindergarden to 5th grade, then I moved to the US and wore no uniforms until I moved back to CR in 11th Grade. It was hell. I don't know why, nobody seemed to have much of a problem with it, but I felt it was such a completely and totally pointless transgression to what I felt was my god-given right to wear whatever the fuck I wanted that I went beserk sometimes railing against it. I mean, SHIT, what the FUCK is the point? I don't want to buy your fucking clothes, which you probably outsourced to one of the rich well connected parents (of which my school had no shortage of) to make them a buck. I don't want it. I HAVE clothes. Just thinking about it now gets me mad as hell. I felt like I was back in 4th grade. FUCK those people and FUCK school uniforms. Seriously WHAT IS THE POINT? I DID NO BETTER, I BEHAVED NO BETTER WITH OR WITHOUT UNIFORMS. In fact, the school I went to WITH uniforms was full of such misbehaviour to make any teacher I would've known in non-uniform schools squeal endlessly. It helps for nothing at all, and they should just be abolished.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the idea of school uniforms more to prevent kids from wearing gang colors or pants hanging off their ass more than simply to stifle their creativity?

My kids attend a charter school with a dress code, but no uniforms required.

I still buy their school clothes from Cookieskids, a school uniform company. They also have jeans and regular shirts....but I dress them according to code, and I like the uniforms. They're functional and durable.

But I was raised in plaid skirts, sweaters, vests and jackets.

I hate seeing little kids dressed like 20 year old hookers. So I'm for uniforms. Plus, it's just so damn inexpensive.

And no fights in the morning about what they are going to wear!
and no one beating them up because they like that jacket

When I was in high school is right around the time they started trying to curb what kids were wearing.. Mostly because kids were getting beat up and having their shoes and jewelry stolen. I was actually told to go home and change once because I was wearing what ever 80's teenage girl did - boots with chains on them, ripped jeans, and over-sized shirt with one of those huge belts that hung to the side over one hip.

Their reason? The tiny little chains on my boots, the heels, and my belt buckle could be used as a weapon. :eusa_eh::evil:

All it takes is one kid to ruin it for the whole school. By the end of that year, in that particular high school, you could wear plain shirts, pants/jeans, and flat soled shoes. No hats in the building, no printed tshirts, no large jewelry, etc.

What are you thoughts on students required to wear uniforms, in either a public or private school.

Is it taking away their "rights" to express themselves, or should it be a standard requirement for all students until they graduate from high school?

Anything that gets young, attractive girls wearing plaid skirts and kneesocks works for me.

GOD howI loved those Catholic High school girls when I was a young man.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the idea of school uniforms more to prevent kids from wearing gang colors or pants hanging off their ass more than simply to stifle their creativity?

No. Schools passed regs about that stuff anyway. It's about curbing competition about clothing... particularly in places where status is an issue.

I'm all for uniforms. My son's school doesn't have them, but I wouldn't mind if it did. There are some charter schools in the area where they wear them.

Anything that gets young, attractive girls wearing plaid skirts and kneesocks works for me.

GOD howI loved those Catholic High school girls when I was a young man.

you know, i don't think i've ever met a man who wasn't rocked by that look... even well into adulthood... although their tastes mature so they generally prefer that on adult women rather than on pre-pubescent girls. lol...

but what about that look do you think it is?

I've thought about that too Jillian. It may be that Catholic girls were considered "the forbidden fruit" because of the religious aspect toward pre marital sex. But it also could be a trend setting thing in the pre mini skirt days. I spoke with an 80 year old woman who said she would often be disciplined for wearing her skirt too short. I found that pretty amusing..

uniforms, allowed children to be more creative with their school work, instead of being hung up on the clothes of their peers and themselves....how one dresses is not stifling creativity that needs expressing in schools....they are there to learn imo.

Echo,

i think private schools are welcomed to do what they wish....uniforms are part of most private schools, and it IS for a GOOD reason....also children in private schools in general, do end up getting a better education....uniforms can be one reason for such.

when i was in public school, (which wasn't all that often unless you consider schools on a military base a public school?), we had a dress code...no pants at all for girls, no skirts higher than 3 inches above the knee, no halter tops, no t-shirts for boys, nor jeans, nor pants with holes in them....and this was PUBLIC school!

kids that age can control very little..clothes and hair are one thing that they can control...why take that away from them? if you control every part of a kids life does that teach them anything?

There are good arguments on both sides of this issue.

School uniform/dress code? Since, for the most part, school uniform policies are not like military commands, and are not nearly as strict, I don't seem them as a rights issue or problem. In most cases, the very reason for choosing to go with uniform dress is in the best interest of the students. There are good reasons. I could list several very positive reasons and outcomes of having uniforms or dress codes.

There are also some drawbacks. In High school, often students do vandalism, or get into fights, or take things that are not theirs. When the witness tells what they saw it is like this. It was a white (or whatever color) male, with a blue shirt and tan pants on, and white tennis shoes. Well, that is a picture of most of the students in the school, so not much help. LOL It has been my observation that where there is no dress code, the idiot who does those things usually is a rebel and dresses differently from the rest. They are usually easy to point out. So, in that way the uniform or dress code is not very helpful.

In a poor community, or a mixed class community, uniforms have a way of erasing many class divisions, and discriminations. Most uniforms or dress code standards have the students looking pretty nice, and that helps many students feel good about themselves, walk taller, and even do better in school. You can still see the rebels.

It has been my observation that behavior in school is different, depending on if there is or is not a strict dress code. Pride in the school is also effected. When you raise the standard, and make it where all can reach the standard, it does make improvements.

To be honest, where there is no dress code, or where one exists, but is not addressed, the many students dress inappropriately, and act the part as well. Pride in the school deteriorates, and so does the vocabulary. Behavior is definitely connected.

Just my thoughts.

kids that age can control very little..clothes and hair are one thing that they can control...why take that away from them? if you control every part of a kids life does that teach them anything?

honestly bones, i don't see how they dress should be any kind of focus at all in school....i think it is distracting from their learning....

competition with the rich bitch's clothes, or the gang's clothes or just merely your girlfriends clothes is distracting, let alone what girl's outfit exposes the most tit, or guys crack imo, and takes away from what us tax payers are paying for....an educational system that educates our children in the 3 R's and sciences....

putting a dress code in or uniforms don't stifle children's own control or creativity imo, school is just a few hours out of a day that they are suppose to become educated and learn discipline...the discipline of the working world in many cases....be there on time and not tardy, don't dilly dally when lunch break is over, be the most productive and work hard while there, do what your boss says...equates to do what your teacher says, principle is the boss of the teacher, like your own boss has a boss he has to answer too, and in most cases you can't go to work with a see through blouse and no bra or with pants that show your butt crack....

School is preparing them for what full adulthood is like in the working world, in most cases....again, in my opinion....

i suppose i am taking the ''hard line'' on this, and i have no true experience in raising or educating children, since matt and i have not been able to have any together, and i only know or am looking at this from the way i was reared and am comfortable with....

ultimately though, it is up to the individual school to set their own dress code rules...

Last edited:
That was the argument at my school and they went with the dress code about 6 years ago. The droopy pants, gang wear and belly shirts were all the rage. Unfortunately now, we have given the kids too any choices. They may not wear jeans but they get around that by wearing khaki and black colored denim. They are supposed to wear collared shirts but the girls wear them unbuttoned to show their cleavage. It is a never ending battle and causes a lot of dissension amongst the staff because only half enforce it,. I'd prefer uniforms.

honestly bones, i don't see how they dress should be any kind of focus at all in school....i think it is distracting from their learning....

competition with the rich bitch's clothes, or the gang's clothes or just merely your girlfriends clothes is distracting, let alone what girl's outfit exposes the most tit, or guys crack imo, and takes away from what us tax payers are paying for....an educational system that educates our children in the 3 R's and sciences....

putting a dress code in or uniforms don't stifle children's own control or creativity imo, school is just a few hours out of a day that they are suppose to become educated and learn discipline...the discipline of the working world in many cases....be there on time and not tardy, don't dilly dally when lunch break is over, be the most productive and work hard while there, do what your boss says...equates to do what your teacher says, principle is the boss of the teacher, like your own boss has a boss he has to answer too, and in most cases you can't go to work with a see through blouse and no bra or with pants that show your butt crack....

School is preparing them for what full adulthood is like in the working world, in most cases....again, in my opinion....

i suppose i am taking the ''hard line'' on this, and i have no true experience in raising or educating children, since matt and i have not been able to have any together, and i only know or am looking at this from the way i was reared and am comfortable with....

ultimately though, it is up to the individual school to set their own dress code rules...

Most jobs out in the working world have specific dress codes. Do the adults complain that it stifles their creativity? No. Because it's just part of the job package and because creativity is in the mind, not necessarily the fabric on your body.

Forum List

Back