School to Prison Pipeline

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Attorney General Eric Holder today announced the launch of the Supportive School Discipline Initiative, a collaborative project between the Departments of Justice and Education that will address the “school-to-prison pipeline” and the disciplinary policies and practices that can push students out of school and into the justice system. The initiative aims to support good discipline practices to foster safe and productive learning environments in every classroom.

...I’m confident that we can make certain that school discipline policies are enforced fairly and do not become obstacles to future growth, progress, and achievement.”

The goals of the Supportive School Discipline Initiative are to: 1) build consensus for action among federal, state and local education and justice stakeholders; 2) collaborate on research and data collection that may be needed to inform this work, such as evaluations of alternative disciplinary policies and interventions; 3) develop guidance to ensure that school discipline policies and practices comply with the nation’s civil rights laws and to promote positive disciplinary options to both keep kids in school and improve the climate for learning; and 4) promote awareness and knowledge about evidence-based and promising policies and practices among state judicial and education leadership.

Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder Announce Effort to Respond to School-to-Prison Pipeline by Supporting Good Discipline Practices | U.S. Department of Education

Feds dictating detentions? Eliminating suspensions and expulsions? Oh brother...

From a practical standpoint I'm thinking about the paperwork. And the inevitable lawsuits that will result from incomplete paperwork.

Then of course, there's that safety issue.

Anyone who actually thinks that school reform is about saving kids, has their head up their butt. It's about saving the PUBLIC from those kids from 7-3.

Duh! I thought it was the parents responsibility to teach discipline to kids. I guess the American family is a failure too.

In some families zzzzz.

Discipline comes from the Latin root "disciplus" which means to teach. There can be no learning in an undisciplined environment. See inner city test scores.

In some families zzzzz.

Discipline comes from the Latin root "disciplus" which means to teach. There can be no learning in an undisciplined environment. See inner city test scores.

True but kids are what 6 years old when they get to class and they should have fundamental discipline already instilled in them. Respect for others among them. But the deterioration of discipline can be linked I think, to the abolition of swift and just punishment. All it appears they do now is suspend and kicked kids out of school. That should be a last resort. Do you think many of these kinds mind getting kicked out of school? They see it as a vacation or free time. It also allows them to be corrupted by the street because instead of being in a structured environment (semi structured in some) they are loose on the streets and hanging out with gang bangers and drug dealers. It is an environment of failure because the other kids see these kids making money, getting high while they are in school and they think "why am I here?" IT will be hard to change this environment, maybe impossible, but we cannot afford to not try.

In some families zzzzz.

True but kids are what 6 years old when they get to class and they should have fundamental discipline already instilled in them. Respect for others among them. But the deterioration of discipline can be linked I think, to the abolition of swift and just punishment. All it appears they do now is suspend and kicked kids out of school. That should be a last resort. Do you think many of these kinds mind getting kicked out of school? They see it as a vacation or free time. It also allows them to be corrupted by the street because instead of being in a structured environment (semi structured in some) they are loose on the streets and hanging out with gang bangers and drug dealers. It is an environment of failure because the other kids see these kids making money, getting high while they are in school and they think "why am I here?" IT will be hard to change this environment, maybe impossible, but we cannot afford to not try.

I don't know about other states, but NJ outlawed expulsion several years ago. Juvenile deliquents are now "court ordered" to attend school. They need not follow rules or pass their classes. They just have to show up so they are not "running the streets". You can only imagine what energy and resources are expended dealing with kids who have zero respect for anyone. Suspension is all we have left. At least it gives teachers and classmates a few days to instruction. The day a kid lays a hand on me or tells me to suck his dick and is sent back to class is the day I leave teaching. We have excellent disciplinarians. I shudder to think what will happen when the feds tie their hands.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Attorney General Eric Holder today announced the launch of the Supportive School Discipline Initiative, a collaborative project between the Departments of Justice and Education that will address the “school-to-prison pipeline” and the disciplinary policies and practices that can push students out of school and into the justice system. The initiative aims to support good discipline practices to foster safe and productive learning environments in every classroom.

...I’m confident that we can make certain that school discipline policies are enforced fairly and do not become obstacles to future growth, progress, and achievement.”

The goals of the Supportive School Discipline Initiative are to: 1) build consensus for action among federal, state and local education and justice stakeholders; 2) collaborate on research and data collection that may be needed to inform this work, such as evaluations of alternative disciplinary policies and interventions; 3) develop guidance to ensure that school discipline policies and practices comply with the nation’s civil rights laws and to promote positive disciplinary options to both keep kids in school and improve the climate for learning; and 4) promote awareness and knowledge about evidence-based and promising policies and practices among state judicial and education leadership.

Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder Announce Effort to Respond to School-to-Prison Pipeline by Supporting Good Discipline Practices | U.S. Department of Education

Feds dictating detentions? Eliminating suspensions and expulsions? Oh brother...

*shrugs* the battle for discipline in the public school system was lost long ago, ala Tinker and Goss vs Lopez..... the inmates run the asylum, now the feds want another bite at the apple? not...

Last edited:
As the schools grow to be more Hispanic, I'm sure things will get much better

If I were a cynic (snark snark) I might just believe this is the final nail in the coffin for public ed. I wonder how Mr Holder and Duncan would feel about holding charters and private schools to the same standards.

I"d love to know where they send their own kids.

Maybe I'll drop them a note...

Late last month, the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and the Education Department's Office for Civil Rights hosted a conference called “Civil Rights and School Discipline: Addressing Disparities to Ensure Educational Opportunity.” The focus was on the fact that black students are more likely, as a statistical matter, to be disciplined by schools than white students. The Obama administration is unhappy with this disparity.

But there are two issues here: Whether there is “disparate treatment,” that is, whether whites and blacks actually are being treated differently because of their race, or merely “disparate impact,” that is, whether school discipline policies are not written, intended or applied discriminatorily but simply have led to racially disproportionate results.

The Obama administration has made it clear that it will come down on school systems either way. The administration ought to object to disparate treatment, of course, but it is quite wrong to use the disparate-impact approach.

In the school-discipline context, the bad results are either less discipline for all students or school systems getting their numbers right by punishing white students who ought not to be punished or - more likely - by not disciplining black students who should be. Alas, the Obama administration would appear to be perfectly happy with either outcome. Education Secretary Arne Duncan says he is “deeply troubled by rising discipline rates and disparities in discipline.”

If there is less discipline, the learning environment will suffer, which is unfair to all students. But no doubt the students who will suffer most disproportionately will be blacks who are trying to learn but are more often in schools with lots of ill-behaved classmates. As usual, it is the rule-following racial minorities whom liberals forget in their eagerness to showboat their compassion for rule-breaking racial minorities.

The departments of Justice and Education’s conference laments the “school-to-prison pipeline” - that getting disciplined in school leads later on to running afoul of the criminal justice system. Putting aside the problem that there seems to be a confusion of cause and effect here - that is, it is not the punishment for school infractions that makes prison time more likely ultimately, but the propensity to commit such infractions - there also may be this unintended and ironic consequence: School systems that are afraid of being slapped with a disparate-impact complaint if they discipline students may decide it is safer for them simply to call the police. So the school-to-prison pipeline will be avoided, all right - by schools simply sending people directly into the criminal justice system.

CLEGG: The dangers of disparate-impact policy - Washington Times

Recently, the Obama administration concluded that school discipline is often racially discriminatory merely because black students are disciplined at rates higher than their overall percentage in the population. The division has launched a campaign that undermines basic American traditions of right and wrong by attacking school discipline. When you read the radical backgrounds of lawyers in the Education Section below, you’ll see why.

The PJMedia series has demonstrated that, rather incredibly, every single one of the career attorneys hired since Obama took office has a fringe leftist ideological bent and nearly all have overtly partisan pasts. Every single one. The left still doesn’t get it: they brazenly think this is perfectly acceptable.

Pajamas Media » Every Single One: The Politicized Hiring of Eric Holder

Wow. I wonder how many kids will be sacrificed in this mission for...? For what? Baffling and scary.

Well a 3-day work week would create more jobs. How is it that our brilliant educators haven't suggested mandatory accounting in the last 50 years? Double-entry accounting is only 700 years old. Oh yeah, these smartphones aren't powerful enough to handle it. :lol:

The question is: "Why is housing so expensive that people can't live on a 3-day work week"

So we compete with each other at bidding up housing costs and thus sabotage ourselves.

When are people going to figure out that competition can be manipulated in order to get people to do really dumb things?

Quit BELIEVING in Free Enterprise BS and look at what really happens.

psik

New Topics

Forum List

Back