School starts tomorrow

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
So my kids are going into K-garten and 1st grade. I got their school clothes this summer, so all I really had to do was go to the dollar store (which is about 80 miles away) and get their school supplies. Except of course for shoes...I traveled 90 miles yesterday (1 way) to pick up shoes for them....and a few more fun clothes, but other than that we're good. Except I haven't gotten my daughter a winter coat yet..she has a way cool trench that will take her until cold weather and by then I'll have one.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with myself for having everything ready. Their little school/pencil boxes are all put together, they have their wipes and their kleenex and their color pencils and crayons, notebooks and tennis shoes and glue sticks and (don't ask why) their cassette tape.

I get to drop them off at school tomorrow (yay, not accruing child care expense) and then I've taken a sick day to go to the orthodontist and eye doctor.

FREEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOOOM!

Lol. Also I'm packing my car up with stuff to take to Salvation Army, finally, after meaning to do it for a year.

I am so looking forward to the seriously depleted child care bill. I have some end tables I really want.

So my kids are going into K-garten and 1st grade. I got their school clothes this summer, so all I really had to do was go to the dollar store (which is about 80 miles away) and get their school supplies. Except of course for shoes...I traveled 90 miles yesterday (1 way) to pick up shoes for them....and a few more fun clothes, but other than that we're good. Except I haven't gotten my daughter a winter coat yet..she has a way cool trench that will take her until cold weather and by then I'll have one.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with myself for having everything ready. Their little school/pencil boxes are all put together, they have their wipes and their kleenex and their color pencils and crayons, notebooks and tennis shoes and glue sticks and (don't ask why) their cassette tape.

I get to drop them off at school tomorrow (yay, not accruing child care expense) and then I've taken a sick day to go to the orthodontist and eye doctor.

FREEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOOOM!

Lol. Also I'm packing my car up with stuff to take to Salvation Army, finally, after meaning to do it for a year.

I am so looking forward to the seriously depleted child care bill. I have some end tables I really want.

It's all a ruse. You will soon discover that you are expected to pay for school supplies for the "disadvantaged" children. Next thing you know they will be 16. Fortunately you don't have to buy a car for the "disadvantaged'" children.

• Banned
I've already been through this once. My oldest are 23 & 24, I have a granddaughter who will be 2 in December.

My kids started school last Monday.

So this is your second time around? Did you adopt? (I have a number of close friends who adopted after their kids were grown.)

I got a letter from my old high school on Saturday. They can't find my school records for the year I was a Junior in High School. They want me to move back to Virginia and do that year over again but they say I won't be able to play football and baseball due to my adult size.:evil:

FREEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOOOM!

Ya know Allie, as a teacher I'm always in awe of the parents that can get their children to school on time and with their supplies. It's not easy, I don't care if your kids are in public or private schools, both are expensive in August! While the public schools are less expensive in the early years, the differences become less noticeable in upper grades. Many private middle schools, (mine included) include book fees in tuition. My public school costs were in excess of $800. High Schools more, on both ends.

While it's been years, I remember trying to get three kids back to school with no money! Needless to say, I don't remember angst when the money was plentiful. Shoes! Backpacks! Clothes! The right notebook covers, etc... Even at Walmart, it was beyond a back breaker.

I have 2 also starting kindergarten tomorrow. Wahooo!!!! :clap2:

Impressive that you're so prepared, I have everything here but packing it up is going to be a hurdle.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPIIMbG9R4w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPIIMbG9R4w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Serious questions ladies... Do you pack their lunches or have them buy them at school? What's a school lunch cost these days?

Serious questions ladies... Do you pack their lunches or have them buy them at school? What's a school lunch cost these days?

My kids' school breakfast is at just the perfect time for me to drop them off and get to work, so they'll be buying there (90 cents here, not bad at all). Lunch will probably be half and half, depending on what they're having that day. Lunch is $1.90, still not bad. It's hard to pack something decent for that these days when you add in the milk money.

I pack lunch. My son won't eat school lunches. They're $1.50 a day now, though, if you want them to have lunch at school unless you're eligible for free or discounted meals.

I also want to pat myself on the back... my son starts 7th grade on September 9th. We have all our notebooks, book bags, supplies... etc. All we have to do is fill the binders with the reinforced looseleaf paper and dividers that we got once i find out how his teachers want his books set up. ;)

this is the first time i've ever gotten it together that early. i'm very proud of myself.

he still needs new sneakers though...

I pack lunch. My son won't eat school lunches. They're $1.50 a day now, though, if you want them to have lunch at school unless you're eligible for free or discounted meals.

I also want to pat myself on the back... my son starts 7th grade on September 9th. We have all our notebooks, book bags, supplies... etc. All we have to do is fill the binders with the reinforced looseleaf paper and dividers that we got once i find out how his teachers want his books set up. ;)

this is the first time i've ever gotten it together that early. i'm very proud of myself.

Oh crap, I forgot about new sneakers. Oh well, the old ones still fit. A few weeks in, my kids will be the ones with new shiny sneakers while all the other kids will have old dirty ones. :cool:

Oh crap, I forgot about new sneakers. Oh well, the old ones still fit. A few weeks in, my kids will be the ones with new shiny sneakers while all the other kids will have old dirty ones. :cool:

that is cool.. lol. i only thought about it because we were at roosevelt field today and started looking at them. he's finally sized out of stride rite...

that upset me, too... :eusa_shhh:

that is cool.. lol. i only thought about it because we were at roosevelt field today and started looking at them. he's finally sized out of stride rite...

that upset me, too... :eusa_shhh:

Don't tell me about sizing out of Stride Rite! My son has barges for feet and wears double extra wide width sneakers. Nobody else within a 2 1/2 hour drive carries them in stock.

Maybe he's like a puppy and will grow into those monsters? :eusa_pray:

NY is a bargain. Both our public schools, according to a neighbor and my private school charge $4. per day for lunch. If ala carte, higher in all likelihood. 5 years ago, it was $3.50 for lunch, as I said, my kids mostly chose to take what I made.

Forum List

Back