School secretary arrested for allegedly duct taping 1st grader

As a southerner, I'm a firm believer that you can fix ALMOST anything with duct tape, but using it to try to fix a first grader's behavior is taking it a bit far. ( My dad used electric tape for behavior modification ) :)

They never had duct tape when I was a 1st grader, we just had a principal who knew the name of every parent and the LAST person you wanted to be was a kid sitting in the Principals Office because you did something that made her call your parents....yes, using a telephone because it was a new invention at the time

Good for the secretary. And where is the discipline by the parents that would have ensured this incident would never have occurred?

Good for the secretary. And where is the discipline by the parents that would have ensured this incident would never have occurred?

Good for the secretary? In case you missed it.. the kid is SIX. Parental discipline would certainly be the best option, but duct taping a six year old's mouth is out of line. It sounds to me like you don't understand six year olds and you don't understand duct tape. I hate to think of trying to get duct tape off of sensitive facial skin.

Good for the secretary? In case you missed it.. the kid is SIX. Parental discipline would certainly be the best option, but duct taping a six year old's mouth is out of line. It sounds to me like you don't understand six year olds and you don't understand duct tape. I hate to think of trying to get duct tape off of sensitive facial skin.

And consider what could have happened if the child started crying.

They never had duct tape when I was a 1st grader, we just had a principal who knew the name of every parent and the LAST person you wanted to be was a kid sitting in the Principals Office because you did something that made her call your parents....yes, using a telephone because it was a new invention at the time

We had very mean nuns who had paddles to beat you with and these clickers they used to get your attention and additionally served a second purpose to rap us on the knuckles if we got out of line..

Duct tape.. wtf? The kid should consider herself lucky. :razz:

We had very mean nuns who had paddles to beat you with and these clickers they used to get your attention and additionally served a second purpose to rap us on the knuckles if we got out of line..

Right! I had long hair when I was 6 and 7 and the nuns used to love to take my hair and drag and shake me by my hair. If you cried you got it even worse. I think a lot of them could have used some jail time.

Do you know what you could be charged with by the police if you duct taped someone down and prevented them from leaving the room for a period of time?

Right! I had long hair when I was 6 and 7 and the nuns used to love to take my hair and drag and shake me by my hair. If you cried you got it even worse. I think a lot of them could have used some jail time.

Omg, weren't they the biggest bitches ever? :lol:

Duct tape? Oh please. Duct tape is much more suitable for home use, as the whining from said child will always annoy the parent more so than the teacher. Artist tape is for school use; shuts 'em up without being so hard to get off and doesn't leave marks.

These days they would all be charged with child abuse and spend some jail time. It's interesting that the only ones who are being criminally charged are the priests. The nuns did just as much psychological and in some cases, physical damage.

When I was in 8th grade (public school) we got a new student who "transferred" from the local Catholic middle school. Physically he was a pretty big kid. It turned out that one of the nuns from the Catholic Middle School had cracked him on the knuckles with a ruler whe he did something wrong. He flipped out and beat the nun with a chair until she was nearly dead. Needless to say he had worn out his welcome at that particular school and his entire family had to change churches after the incident. :eek:

These days they would all be charged with child abuse and spend some jail time. It's interesting that the only ones who are being criminally charged are the priests. The nuns did just as much psychological and in some cases, physical damage.

The nuns were miserable. They were into humiliation as diciplinary procedure.

When I was in 8th grade (public school) we got a new student who "transferred" from the local Catholic middle school. Physically he was a pretty big kid. It turned out that one of the nuns from the Catholic Middle School had cracked him on the knuckles with a ruler whe he did something wrong. He flipped out and beat the nun with a chair until she was nearly dead. Needless to say he had worn out his welcome at that particular school and his entire family had to change churches after the incident. :eek:

Doing something "wrong" could have been as simple as asking another kid for a pencil to set a nun on you.

Sly Stallone was expelled from one of the schools I went to--the nuns couldn't deal with him! I always wondered if that's where he got his crooked nose!

When I was in 7th grade I got caught chewing gum in school. Sister Margaret Vincent's punishment? She made me spit the chewed gum out into her hand. I loved Sister Margaret Vincent and felt awful that I had to do that. I never did chew gum in school again.

Forum List

Back