School Choice

From your link:

"When factors such as poverty, race, and the number of students who are not proficient in English are taken into account and properly controlled for, we find that student outcomes on test scores are simply better in the private and charter sectors than they are in traditional public schools."

Read more at: New Evidence on School-Choice Successes in Wisconsin

For those unfamiliar with statistics, that is called skewing the data to reach a predetermined outcome. They just didn't count kids who were poor, immigrants, and minorities.
"When factors such as poverty, race, and the number of students who are not proficient in English are taken into account and properly controlled for, we find that student outcomes on test scores are simply better in the private and charter sectors than they are in traditional public schools."

Do you know what "and properly controlled for" means?
It means they fudge the numbers until the outcome is what they intended to prove.

The PARENTS! They didn't like taking their summer vacation in the middle of winter because Disney at 50 degrees is not as much fun!.

You don't live in Florida, do you? Winter is, by far, the best time to visit Disney World. That's the most comfortable time of year. The coldest average temperature in Orlando is 61 degrees in January. Quite comfortable walking around with maybe a light jacket or sweater. Highest average temperature is August is 82 degrees meaning the days are 90's plus with high humidity.

There may have been some local school boards which tried a 12 month school year but certainly not all.

The PARENTS! They didn't like taking their summer vacation in the middle of winter because Disney at 50 degrees is not as much fun!.

You don't live in Florida, do you? Winter is, by far, the best time to visit Disney World. That's the most comfortable time of year. The coldest average temperature in Orlando is 61 degrees in January. Quite comfortable walking around with maybe a light jacket or sweater. Highest average temperature is August is 82 degrees meaning the days are 90's plus with high humidity.

There may have been some local school boards which tried a 12 month school year but certainly not all.

I lived in Florida for many years. The reason more schools do not do the year-round schedule is the feedback they get from schools where it was tried and failed.

Rather than Disney, how about substituting the beach. It's not very much fun in January unless you are in the Keys.

Are private schools and charter schools subjected to the same testing, of "No child Left Behind" legislation as the Public Schools are...?

If they are NOT, and people think these private schools are BETTER schools than Public Schools, then why not ELIMINATE the rules for no child left behind in the Public Schools? Or why not force the Private schools getting our tax dollars to meet the same testing standards required for Public Schools?

It should be apples to apples so the parents can be informed on a level basis, what school to choose for their child.
The big performance differences between most private schools and public schools are due to the fact that private schools can reject students who do not meet their performance criteria, and they can kick out students who behave badly. Public schools have to take everyone and they can only expel a student if the student has other options or the school is willing to provide an alternative. Makes it pretty nice for private schools. I imagine it will be nice for Charter Schools, as well.

The big performance differences between most private schools and public schools are due to the fact that private schools can reject students who do not meet their performance criteria, and they can kick out students who behave badly. Public schools have to take everyone and they can only expel a student if the student has other options or the school is willing to provide an alternative. Makes it pretty nice for private schools. I imagine it will be nice for Charter Schools, as well.

Maam, I believe that to be partially correct. I have found that school districts with large White and Asian student bodies tend to outperform those which do not. Additionally I dont think this is a question of funding. I think it is a question of I.Q.
I think we pretend that we have a problem with the entire body of educational districts in this nation when in fat we have a problem with CERTAIN educational districts in this nation.

School choice is a euphemism for segregation.
Have you ever gone to an all Black school? What about an all Hispanic school?

Nope. I attended schools in San Francisco, on the block I was raised English, Chinese, Spanish and Hebrew were languages spoken. The City is cosmopolitan, not that I'm proud of it, but the first time I got drunk (8th grade) I was with a Russian, a Greek, an Irishman; and I'm a mutt (French, German, Italian and Romanian).

Nope. I attended schools in San Francisco, on the block I was raised English, Chinese, Spanish and Hebrew were languages spoken. The City is cosmopolitan, not that I'm proud of it, but the first time I got drunk (8th grade) I was with a Russian, a Greek, an Irishman; and I'm a mutt (French, German, Italian and Romanian).

I truly commend you on your honesty. Thank you so much.
However, I have been to all Black schools...on both coasts. Let me tell you something; you aint seen nothing until you have gone to an all black school in the hood. I am an old bird. I went to Black Schools in the 80's with metal detectors, video cameras and armed police officers. They were all there for a reason because those kids were out of control. Nothing was taught and nothing was accomplished except partially accounting for heads from 8-3pm. It was literally a detention center.
Those kids acted like animals because they were raised like animals. Not because there was inadequate funding. Not because the teachers didn't care enough (most of them actually didn't but WTF would?).
My point is this. NO amount of money will cure that because this isn't a SCHOOL thing. This is a home thing. This is a thing about parents and illegitimacy and crime and violence.

I truly commend you on your honesty. Thank you so much.
However, I have been to all Black schools...on both coasts. Let me tell you something; you aint seen nothing until you have gone to an all black school in the hood. I am an old bird. I went to Black Schools in the 80's with metal detectors, video cameras and armed police officers. They were all there for a reason because those kids were out of control. Nothing was taught and nothing was accomplished except partially accounting for heads from 8-3pm. It was literally a detention center.
Those kids acted like animals because they were raised like animals. Not because there was inadequate funding. Not because the teachers didn't care enough (most of them actually didn't but WTF would?).
My point is this. NO amount of money will cure that because this isn't a SCHOOL thing. This is a home thing. This is a thing about parents and illegitimacy and crime and violence.

Which is why Head Start is crucial in many communities.

My 32-year career in Law Enforcement put me in contact with such schools, because I wrote and managed grants for both adults and juveniles. One grant included social workers, probation officers, police officers and deputy sheriffs, along with teachers, counselors, technocrats and business leaders.

Another grant funded a unit of Probation Officers assigned to supervise offenders convicted of domestic violence who had children under the age of 16. The offenders took anger management class, drug and or alcohol treatment with a search class allowing our deputies to make sure no guns were owned or in possession of the offender; while the PO's acted as mentors to the children, and the victims attended programs for battered women (yes nearly 100% of the cases were men abusing women).

Another grant put County Probation Officers's and City Police Officers on middle school and high school campuses keeping the peace and working with the school districts doing random truancy roundups. That was a lot of fun, much dope was recovered, as well as too many adults hanging out with these kids - the kids got a ride to school and were released to their parent(s); the adults went to county jail.

Forum List

Back